Consider the Cannoli: Subjective Preferences and Conversations about Geek Media

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
According to Wikipedia, we call it Canadian bacon because it was first imported from Toronto to New York and is the more common form of bacon you'll find in Ireland and the United Kingdom. Can any subjects of the British crown or our Irish friends answer as to whether this is true? My wife eats Canadian bacon just about every morning with her breakfast because it's much leaner than bacon. She also purchases a fairly expensive brand but it's so goddamn delicious I can't fault her for it.
Not Irish but I lived and worked in Dublin for a couple of months and can confirm that the default bacon there is indeed back bacon, leaner and bigger than what I'm accustomed to in the US.

Attachments

• Irish bacon.PNG
    Irish bacon.PNG
    87.3 KB · Views: 37

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I mean, some of us like to go all classy with the continental breakfast.

its-so-good-jordan-peele-j0t6lk1t4hbdm5fd.gif
I love a GOOD continental breakfast. Those are hard to find in the USA, though. I think the last decent one I had was at a CLE meeting in San Antonio at a high-end resort hotel that looked suspiciously like the one in Kubrick’s The Shining.

IDK why so many CLE meetings have the lackluster catering they do. My Dad is an MD, and his CME meetings are always well-provisioned. I’ve had some CLE meetings that were literally water, coffee, tea, and hard candies.

Ryujin

Legend
I love a GOOD continental breakfast. Those are hard to find in the USA, though. I think the last decent one I had was at a CLE meeting in San Antonio at a high-end resort hotel that looked suspiciously like the one in Kubrick’s The Shining.

IDK why so many CLE meetings have the lackluster catering they do. My Dad is an MD, and his CME meetings are always well-provisioned. I’ve had some CLE meetings that were literally water, coffee, tea, and hard candies.
Soon I'll have to stay in a hotel other than the one I usually do, for a trip to Seattle. The original hotel's breakfast offerings are stellar; everything from regular cereal to sausages, bacon, eggs, English Muffins and jam.... I don't expect the new place to be nearly as good, but hopefully it won't screw with my blood sugar. I've stayed in a few places in the US that thought "Continental Breakfast" meant a danish and coffee.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

CLE and CME? Continuing Legal Education and Continuing Medical Education?

In my wife's profession, there's yearly requirements necessary to maintain the license, but it is just referred to as CE - Continuing Education, without bothering to say that is is Veterinary.

GaryCon is my once a year try something new gaming convention. I run different systems for my two gaming groups (Hyperborea and 5e now - just switched from CoC) and at times you you have something in mind, like Korean Fried Chicken but after walking for a mile you arrive and find it closed so end up with Canadian French.
View attachment IMG_7377.jpeg
IMG_7383.jpeg

Remove ads