Do you prefer week-by-week or a full series drop?

Full drop or weekly?

• Full drop—I’m a binger, baby!

Votes: 33 50.0%
  • Weekly—I like it slow and steady!

Votes: 33 50.0%

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
When Netflix started doing full series drops, I’d binge watch them and I loved it.

But then I started to come to appreciate the shows which were weekly. Something to anticipate each week, time for each episode to percolate, time to talk about it with my friends, even the frustration at the end of each that I can’t immediately see the resolution can be fun. So I think I’ve switched back and really prefer weekly drops.

What say you?

I’m leaning towards weekly. When Mandalorian kicked off, the whole family started watching (thanks to account sharing still being fine), and it gave us something to talk about each week and to anticipate. This never happened with shows that dropped in full on day one.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I think it depends. For shows that have the potential to be shared cultural experiences -- Mandalorian, season one, is a good example -- weekly is great.

For stuff that never will be (a new season of The Floor is Lava, for instance), dropping it all at once makes more sense. Let people binge their television junk food.

MarkB

Legend
I think it depends. For shows that have the potential to be shared cultural experiences -- Mandalorian, season one, is a good example -- weekly is great.

For stuff that never will be (a new season of The Floor is Lava, for instance), dropping it all at once makes more sense. Let people binge their television junk food.
Same here, I voted weekly but that's specifically for shows that provoke discussion, so everyone's on the same page.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Im an irregular TV watcher and as such I like full season drops so that I can set my own schedule and pace, I might binge three episodes then come back a few days later to watch a couple more then finish a week after that.
I dont mine weekly if the show is good and compelling, but for shows that arent Im more likely to get bored waiting

Reynard

Legend
At first I did not like full drops because I felt it hurt the community aspect of watching the big geek.shows like Game of Thrones. But over time that sort of disappeared and these days I would prefer for my wife and I to be able to watch whatever at our own pace. I mean, we still do that because we just wait for stuff to finish before we start it, but in that there is always a danger of being spoiled on some important plot point.

There are a lot of reasons for shows to be done weekly and I think those reasons outweigh full drop by a lot. But on a personal level I would prefer to get them all at once and watch them at my speed.

Shows that drop a few episodes per week are the best. You get the benefits of the binge and talking about it between releases without the downside of the show over staying its welcome.

Remove ads