• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Consider the Cannoli: Subjective Preferences and Conversations about Geek Media

Orius

Legend
Update-

Cannoli? They still suck.

But they now suck in new ways. Such is progress.

Behold ... the Pumpkin Spice Cannoli.

images

1l5y7j.gif

Horror does not even begin to describe the wrong that is pumpkin spice cannoli.

I don't really like cannolis. I'll eat one, but I don't have much of a sweet tooth, and cannoli is filled with a bunch of sugary crap that makes my tongue curl up. The rest of it is just dough.

The less said of pumpkin spice, the better.

I don’t know why you’d ditch roux- too fatty, perhaps? I’d say that’s kind of essential for flavor or thickening*, but it’s possible to do without in certain varieties, especially those using okra. (I make an okra based “Bachelor’s Gumbo” that doesn’t use roux.) Kale can be used in certain kinds of gumbo, like Gumbo Z’herbes*, so that’s OK.

But quinoa? That’s a BIG stretch.

While gumbo is something I have no knowledge of, quinoa here sounds like it was put in to be trendy and fashionable. Not something that people who enjoy gumbo is likely to be very impressed by.

It's not bad. But when you've never heard of Cincinatti chili and walk into a situation expecting chili it's just a recipe for disappointment.

That is sort of how I felt about greek pizza (for people outside the north east, Greek Pizza is a thick pizza (not quite pan but made in a pizza tray with about a 1 inch lip), buttery crust, different cheese blend and particular kind of sauce. It is good once you understand it, and know how to navigate the landscape of greek pizza places, but it was often dissapointing when my friends would say they ordered pizza, and I was picturing something more like a papa ginos pizza or regina pizza, and it was a whole other experience

Clint_L

Hero
Poutine is much more Quebecois than Canadian. It spread, but much more popular in Quebec.
It's pretty much everywhere in Canada now, though. I live in Victoria, BC. There are numerous specialty poutine restaurants and food trucks, and almost every fast food place or bar includes it on the menu. You can get it at McDonalds.

I dunno how places manage to screw it up: French fries, cheese curds, gravy. I guess, as always, it comes to down the quality of the ingredients.

I dunno how places manage to screw it up: French fries, cheese curds, gravy. I guess, as always, it comes to down the quality of the ingredients.

I have only had it a couple of times so I can't really evaluate regional differences in quality (I had some, or at least something like it, in Vermont, then the next day had some in Canada). Unbelievably good in the cold weather. What struck me was how much my body craved that when it I got back home and the temperature dropped real low (at at that time, I don't think we had poutine around here, not even sure if you can get it here today).

it is also worth pointing out we have variations of this kind of meal in the US. Chill cheese fries are a similar kind of comfort food, and gravy fries are something you can get in places as well. Cheese curd is definitely not something you see as much here, so I could see if that is hard to get quality for. But potatoes are pretty prevalent in the US, and gravy is quite common so unless there is some particular way this needs to be made, I don't think there will be a huge quality issue here with those two ingredients at least.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
While gumbo is something I have no knowledge of, quinoa here sounds like it was put in to be trendy and fashionable. Not something that people who enjoy gumbo is likely to be very impressed by.
Well, like rice, it’s a grain. And supposedly, it’s a superfood. So I can see that.

I just have so little experience with quinoa that I’m clueless as to how its use would taste with something gumbo-esque.

Well, like rice, it’s a grain. And supposedly, it’s a superfood. So I can see that.

I just have so little experience with quinoa that I’m clueless as to how its use would taste with something gumbo-esque.

I used to eat a lot of quinoa because I have celiac (and it is just in a lot of flour alternatives as well as a common grain to use in a gluten free meal). My opinion is it works well as part of the blend in corn pasta, but that is about it. As a grain, it feels has a texture that feels strange to me. It is also technically not a grain I think (believe it is a seed). Some people like it, I just recall trying to eat it as a side dish and not at all enjoying the process (there wasn't anything particularly bad about it, I just didn't feel like I wanted to keep eating it). Also something to note, eventually I developed an allergy to it and this apparently isn't that uncommon (and since a lot of people are now having it more regularly for the first time, definitely something to note if you find you have hives after eating it)

Remove ads