Console owners: XBone or PS4?

Janx

Hero
But you can tell it to "Watch Star Trek". It highlights program names in green.

That's because the Xbox has gotten ahold of TV listings (that it uses to display the Guide) and it can force your cable box to jump to the channel displaying it. With the additional path that it can also search Netflix and Amazon's catalog, and issue the command to start playing that.

But what it can't do is tell the DVR to open the Recordings screen, move to Search, key in "Star Trek" using it's silly-arsed menu, select one of the entries to open the next screen, and then click the Record menu item (as approximated of the steps I go through to record a show on UVerse).

That's where a USB cable to the DVR would be better than the infrared blaster they used.

But still, the HDMI pass thru is nice. I still have to use my DVR remote to record a show, access the recordings. But basic TV navigation, solved.

Mallus

Legend
PS4 owner.

Aside from games, it's my go-to streaming device. The only thing I don't use it for is HBOGO. Oh, there's an app, and it's supposed to be terrific, but my cable company is Comcast, and they refuse to authentic my HBO subscription via PS4. Even though they'll happily confirm it with the iOS app & browser. Thanks Comcast! Sony is supposedly working out the deal. I can only imagine it involves a hefty payment in blood.

Sort-of games-related: I really like the Playstation Plus service. Automated cloud storage of saves, a steady drip of free titles each month, which on the PS4 means some great indie ports like Binding of Issac, Transistor, Never Alone.

Apparently the PS4 has a slew of sharing/social media-oriented features. I'm an olds, so don't use them & probably never will.

Remove ads