• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Constables of the 14th Ward Part 3

Helfdan

First Post
Sir Alarion

The knight's face pales in righteous fury as he hears of their hostess's plight. Only his new-found devotion to the Merciful Goddess keeps him from ripping out his sword and swearing a great Oath of Vengeance. (There you go, gentlemen! Character growth!)

He touches his holy symbol to calm his ire, and speaks in a controlled voice. "Goodwife Maddie, you have my word that we shall get to the bottom of this, and soon. In the meantime, perhaps I can help to temporize the vulgar coin-hunger of your creditors..." The knight reaches within his cloak and withdraws a small bag, tightly tied, filled to bursting with coin. "This was to be the last payment for my new armor."

He grins for a moment at the others. "I know, you have yet to see it, but you know how Iggy feels about us wearing proper harness in the city... Worry not, good Maddie, I have enough to compensate for this. Use it in good faith, and perhaps that shall keep these doors open until we catch the miscreant who has thus endangered them."

(OOC: The bag holds 100 gold pieces. I really assumed I had finished paying for everything, but this explains why he was carrying so much) :)

Only then does he notice his elven friend, in his resplandescent new robe, and his relaxed demeanor. "Well met, good Raul!"

Leif

Adventurer
OOC: Helfdan, I'd give you an xp for that selfless act, if I was yet able to do so again. Someone help, please? ;)

xedr

First Post
Darius barely maintains his composure. "Ohh Maddie. Sadly, in most cases, such thefts are an inside job. Still, I have difficulty believing any of your staff would engage in such chicanery. Let's take a look at your strongbox for evidence of trickery or magic from an outside source. Absent clear evidence there, perhaps we could make a few of Alarion's gold coins traceable so we can find the culprits that way."

OOC: not sure about the layout of Maddie's business, but Darius starts an investigation of the premises, attempting to follow the path of the money to see where it might be going missing. With a nod of his head, he asks Braz to help.

Last edited:

Helfdan

First Post
Alarion thinks on the lessons recently learned in his training as a faithful son of Morwyn. "Braz, before you help Darius... are you able to beseech holy Meda for a zone of truth? Mayhap the best first step is to question the servants here within your mistress's holy light!"

Lou

Explorer
Ederaul Mamier and his new Robe 2

When he gives Raul his stave and brew, Gus says, "Well Constable Mameir! Aren't you just the dapper Constable-About-Town! Nice get-up you've got there, Sir."

Raul smiles at Gus as he takes the drink, "Thanks, Gus."

Only then does he notice his elven friend, in his resplandescent new robe, and his relaxed demeanor. "Well met, good Raul!"

"Sorry friends to be late for everything. My personal, umm, business took longer than I expected. What's the concern? Is our recent discovery a personal friend of Maddie's?"

Scotley

Hero
Maddie hops up on the bar and gives Alarion a big hug for his generous support. "That will keep the wolves at bay for some time to come."

OOC: Hey Mowgli, can you put the maps of the Polished Staff back up on the wiki? I know Media Fire let you down a couple of months ago, but the layout might be helpful about now.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
OOC: Hey Mowgli, can you put the maps of the Polished Staff back up on the wiki? I know Media Fire let you down a couple of months ago, but the layout might be helpful about now.

OOC: I'll see what I can figure out this weekend. Not sure what the deal's been with MediaFire - they've taken my stuff down a couple of times.

Helfdan

First Post
Alarion

The knight smiles a little self-consciously at Maddie's hug. "'Tis but a trifle, goodwife." He turns back to Raul. "Nay, good monk. Maddie has just told us some unknown miscreant is stealing her earnings! We have of course sworn to find him and see justice done."

Lou

Explorer
Ederaul Mamier and his new Robe 3

Raul takes a seat near the others and bites into the stave, while looking around the room for suspects. Finally Raul asks, "Has this ever happened before, Maddie? And do you have any new workers who hired on just before this started?"

Rhun

First Post
Alarion thinks on the lessons recently learned in his training as a faithful son of Morwyn. "Braz, before you help Darius... are you able to beseech holy Meda for a zone of truth? Mayhap the best first step is to question the servants here within your mistress's holy light!"

Brae smiles and nods. "With a little preparation, yes. Meda, in her infinite wisdom, has given me the power to perform such blessings."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads