Constables of the 14th Ward

xedr

First Post
Taking inventory, Darius notes aloud [highlight]"Between Alarion, Soulfetter, Rahvin, Raul, and myself, we have at least 300' of brand-new rope and several grappling hooks. I knew this stuff would come in useful someday."[/highlight] Darius inspects the column in the room to determine if it will serve as an adequate anchor point, and starts tying ropes together and adding knots for easier climbing. [highlight]"Do we have any way to lock that door from the inside? As much as I dread climbing back up these ropes, I dread even more trying to climb out of that hole with the ropes gone missing. If Wally had been a bit more forthcoming, we could have brought along a few Bravos to guard this room."[/highlight] Darius shoots Wally a dirty look with this statement. Feeling a bit nervous, Darius decides not to go down the hole until after Wally. [sblock=ooc]Darius takes 20 when inspecting the safety of the column as an anchor point.

Tying knots. (1d20+2=15) Darius encourages Rahvin to check his knot work.

For general marching order, Darius expects to be in or near the front.[/sblock]

Leif

Adventurer
Order of Descent

So, SoulFetter goes down first and can act as guard at the bottom. Where does Wally come in the order? Everyone else?

Helfdan

First Post
Alarion of Tovarre

"I shall follow our gallant Binder." Alarion studies the route of descent. "One of us can then serve as anchor for the others to have an easier climb. Wally should come next."

Lou

Explorer
Raul at the hole

Scotley said:
"We won't be going all the way to the bottom, some say this hole hasn't got a bottom. We'll only be going down about a dozen times my height." He looks at Soulfetter. "I'm definately in favor you being below me if you fall you'll take us all down."

[sblock=Jonas]As Leif said, you are welcome to leave Bruno behind with his female friends, but your trip down the shaft will be less than a 100' feet if you wish to have him along. Game balance in 3.5 assumes you'll have the added benefit of an animal companion. I don't want you to feel obligated to leave him behind all the time. After all, we let Alarion bring his armor :D [/sblock]

"Wally, how many side tunnels between here and the one we want below? Is it the first opening, the second, what? And which direction, which side is it on?" Raul inquires.

Thinking out loud, Raul says, "Is 100 feet of rope going to make it, or will be need 150 for the knots and tie-off?"

Turning to the spell-casters, Raul says, "I'll bring up the rear on this one. You go ahead of me."

[sblock=Jonas and all]Take the dog. We've got enough rope for a sling. And down should be relatively easy..... :)[/sblock]

Helfdan

First Post
Alarion

The knight nods at Raul's words. "I believe Darius and I should lead the way, followed by Jonas and Rahvin, then Thea and Moru, then Andrew. Soulfetter and yourself should guard our rear, friend Raul."

jkason

First Post
Moru Sen, human conjurer

Helfdan said:
Alarion

The knight nods at Raul's words. "I believe Darius and I should lead the way, followed by Jonas and Rahvin, then Thea and Moru, then Andrew. Soulfetter and yourself should guard our rear, friend Raul."

Moru nods. "Sounds sound," says the wizard, taking out a sunrod and banging it on the ground to light it. He chitters for a moment, and Retbi's head peaks out of the backpack. The familiar holds the light in his mouth as Moru digs in his spell pouch and pulls out a small piece of leather.

"Just give me a second..." adds, slipping into the indescipherable language of spells. The air about him and the familiar shimmers a moment as the leather disintegrates.

"Ready when everyone else is," he declares with a smile.

[sblock=OOC]Moru cast his Mage Armor spell.[/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
Wally scratches his head and considers, "Well, I don't guess I ever counted the other tunnels. Never been much good with numbers. I just know what it looks like." He looks at one on the 100' coils of rope, "that should be more than enough if you don't get too carried away with tying knots."
[sblock=Darius]Darius considers the column of stone. It seems to have served many times as a place to tie off. Of course there are 11 of you including the very heavy Urgant (with Wally and Bruno, we won't count Moru's little friend, Retbi). As a group with all your gear you might outweigh the stone. It doesn't appear to be set with mortar or otherwise anchored. [/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
SoulFetter

Leif said:
...Because the man TAKES CHARGE! ;)

OOC: I thought I did that!

IC: "I'm willing to go where e're you wish, Sir Knight, but I urge you to reconsider the consequences of me falling if I'm at the top of the line. None of you is strong enough to catch me, I think, and the shaft is far too narrow for you to move out of the way - the entire group would then be lost."

With a wind at Alarion: "If it's the glory of being first you want, I'll not claim bragging rights for that - just this once, mind you!"

xedr

First Post
After carefully considering the wall, the column and anything else in the room that might serve as an anchor, Darius selects the column as the best anchor point and ties the rope off securely ("taking 20" to do so). [highlight]"This ain't gonna be a conga line. No more than two people on the rope at the same time, please. Soulfetter, you start us off. (You seem to be the most skilled at climbing, and I wouldn't want anybody else trying to catch me if I should slip.) Once we've all reached the bottom and re-grouped, you'll take the rear guard. Wally, you should follow Soulfetter and identify the correct passage please."[/highlight] Taking a couple of arrowheads from his quiver, Darius attempts to wedge the door tightly against its frame by banging the heads into the gap on the hinge-side of the door.

Darius has thoughtfully provided multiple lengths of rope. The knotted, 100' length is secured to the column. The second and third lengths are to be used as safety harnesses, with anchor persons (I nominate Darius and Alarion), having taken an extra turn around the column, paying out length as the climbers go down the hole. That way, folks who slip won't just drop to the bottom, but are caught by the safety line. The last person will tie the second and third lengths together to form a 200' rope, allowing somebody at the bottom to serve as an anchor person. The safety rope can be recovered, but the knotted rope will be left in place unless somebody else has a better idea.

Last edited:

Remove ads