• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

consumptive field, greater: br0ken?

seans23

First Post
So I was thinking about spells for my BBEG cleric, who has access to 7th level spells.
I happened upon Consumptive Field, Greater in the Spell Compendium. Holy crap!
Any 13+ level evil cleric could walk around with a sack full of rats... if he gets into combat, he can first cast this spell and boost his strength by 2 and his hp by 1d8 for every living creature with 9hp or less within 30'. IN ADDITION, his caster level goes up by 1 for each creature (with a cap at half of his original caster level. Next round: blasphemy. Game over.

Is this spell absurd? Am I missing something?

Drowbane

First Post
seans23 said:
So I was thinking about spells for my BBEG cleric, who has access to 7th level spells.
I happened upon Consumptive Field, Greater in the Spell Compendium. Holy crap!
Any 13+ level evil cleric could walk around with a sack full of rats... if he gets into combat, he can first cast this spell and boost his strength by 2 and his hp by 1d8 for every living creature with 9hp or less within 30'. IN ADDITION, his caster level goes up by 1 for each creature (with a cap at half of his original caster level. Next round: blasphemy. Game over.

Is this spell absurd? Am I missing something?

Perhaps it is allowing the caster to carry around a bag of rats for this purpose that is absurd.

Nip the obvious exploitations in the bud and you should be fine.

seans23

First Post
Well yeah, I wouldn't do that. Still... it could be a bunch of 1st level warriors he's paid to "protect" him... or slaves... it's crazy.

Bad Paper

First Post
As one of your players, I oppose this strategy.

Furthermore, I believe you should substitute in the spell greater lollipop field, for a delicious non-broken alternative.

Last edited:

boolean

Explorer
Why is it, whenever an example is given that involves a bag of rats*, it's always a completely broken scenario?

Ban the bag of rats and solve all your problems!

*(this spell, combat reflexes etc.)

airwalkrr

Adventurer
You are right. The spell is completely broken because of the bag of rats scenario.

An easy fix is to state that the creature must be at least half the hit dice of the caster. That keeps it effective against the PCs, but useless for the rats-in-a-bag approach.

seans23

First Post
I suppose if you don't stack the odds in your favor, it isn't a HORRIBLY broken spell... just kinda broken. I could handicap it with an antilife shell.

-sean, who's happy Bad Paper doesn't cheat.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads