• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Contingency

Calim

First Post
Can contingency be used to disintegrate when battle is joined?

sounds stupid to me but that is why I am asking.

Thanks

Diirk

First Post
3.5 SRD said:
The spell to be brought into effect by the contingency must be one that affects your person and be of a spell level no higher than one-third your caster level (rounded down, maximum 6th level).

So from reading that, I'd say that yes, a caster could have a contingency disintegrate himself when a battle starts. Suicidal tendencies aside, he couldn't have the disintegrate target anyone else so it seems fairly counter productive.

Flyspeck23

First Post
Diirk said:
So from reading that, I'd say that yes, a caster could have a contingency disintegrate himself when a battle starts. Suicidal tendencies aside, he couldn't have the disintegrate target anyone else so it seems fairly counter productive.
But it would result in some cool special effects.
"Damn, we're under at..." *Brzzzt*

shilsen

Adventurer
Flyspeck23 said:
But it would result in some cool special effects.
"Damn, we're under at..." *Brzzzt*

:D

Actually, now that I think about it, this might be the best way to create that "You will never take me alive" NPC.

Wolffenjugend

First Post
Could you use the contingency to disintegrate your gear when you die, thereby keeping it out of the greasy hands of the party? The items would be unattended...

James McMurray

First Post
Disintigrate for objects only hits one object. Also, a contingencied spell has to target the caster.

You could have a maximized acid substituted fireball go off when you die. 60 points of acid damage (ignoring hardness) should both take out most of your gear, and hurt your foes that killed you.

I'm more in favor of contingencis that save my life though. Especially since a contingency to destroy an NPC's gear is going to feel like the DM is screwing the players out of hard-earned loot.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads