• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

CONTROVERSIAL QUESTION: Difficult Subject Matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Water Bob

Adventurer
I would say that the child is possible but unlikely.

Reasoning: Half-orcs are common. Half-dwarfs are not. In most tolkien-esque universes, dwarves have a problem reproducing among themselves.

So: 1- Just because the dwarf was raped doesn't mean the dwarf was impregnated. 2- If the dwarf is pregnant, it is likely that the offspring will not come to term. 3- Therefore, I'd give the kid a slim chance of survival unless you want to have the Orc/Dwarf hybrid for story reasons.

If it does survive, will it be accepted?

Man, that's a hard one. It really depends on your universe and the culture you've portrayed among the dwarves. This is a fantasy universe, so anything is possible.

Dwarves are cantakerous, hard-headed, and nortoriously unwilling to accept change. In that case, no, the mother and her offspring are outcast.

At the same time, Dwarves are often portrayed with a crusty exterior with warm hearts. You might have a good story situation where the dwarf's family has rejected her but some loan, ancient dwarf with a soft spot for her has taken her in, given her shelter and a place to raise her kid.

What I'd do here is go with here is to consider two things: 1- How has the Dwarf culture been established in my game. I'd want to stay true to that. 2- Given the Dwarf culture, or lack there of, what makes for the most dramatic, interesting story in my game?

Answer that second part, and I think you'll have your answer for your game.

slwoyach

First Post
With their low birth rate and conservative attitudes I'd think the dwarves would be very pro-life. They might make an exception for half-orcs due to their hatred of them, but I'd lean as a DM more towards not permitting it by their laws.

The child would grow up ostracized, with no friends and nothing but contempt from the vast majority of dwarves. As soon as it was physically able to survive on its own it would probably leave on its own volition or tossed out of by the others.

I actually think it would make a great PC or villian.

lordxaviar

Explorer
With their low birth rate and conservative attitudes I'd think the dwarves would be very pro-life. They might make an exception for half-orcs due to their hatred of them, but I'd lean as a DM more towards not permitting it by their laws.

The child would grow up ostracized, with no friends and nothing but contempt from the vast majority of dwarves. As soon as it was physically able to survive on its own it would probably leave on its own volition or tossed out of by the others.

I actually think it would make a great PC or villian.

this looks like the best answer... the way this entire game is styled,, I would sat that all good and even most neutrals are Pro life...any kind of life

and evils are pro dead... any but their own...

as for me... im not pro life or pro choice...I dont think its any of my business or the goverments and shouldnt be a law either way.

kitcik

Adventurer
It must have been a subconscious slip - couldn't bring myself to XP WB.

Maybe if he kicks the hornet's nest again...

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I have read the op and I must say that I have had some bizarre thing happen to my characters. A male fighter once got killed and rezed by a god call. came out of the cave a female. about 3 levels later was gang raped by the other two characters-by choice,no magical compelling- The dm rolled that she got prgnant and i had her take her sword and fall on it. as she died, she rolled off the cliff she had stood on. the others never were ever able to find her.

I believe the dwarf would end the pregnancy as soon as she could as the offspring is half of a racially hated race.

Now as to the occurrence on my situation, I would like to mention that AI understand the DM might not have handled it the most fair way and would like to mention that it is not up for further discussion.

kitcik

Adventurer
about 3 levels later was gang raped by the other two characters-by choice,no magical compelling.

Umm...

Umm...

I have heard many things on this board, but this is the first one that would have caused me to quit my group if it happened to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads