Converted T1-T4

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
There are conversion notes in the ENWorld download library -- from Herzog here and from TheYeti1775 here.

I haven't used either myself, though.
Yup.
I've run it in both 1E and 3.5E.
The conversion is good, just power levels don't translate that well though. So you have to pay attention to your characters power compared to the rebuild of the conversion. One thing you might consider is picking up the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil it is 3.5E already.

GenghisDon

First Post
2.5e bandits have a unique stats? news to me. While I'm assuming the 1e version of TOEE, I'll see if I have a copy of a later 2e reprint to see if anything much was changed (which I doubt, TSR was very lazy on such things, which actually were work pre computers)

L0 bandits, brigands, soldiers, mercs, pirates, buccaneers, etc will all convert to warriors (optionally, some could be commoners or experts, but there is little point making things hard on yourself, keep them homogenized for ease of use)

Other L0 NPC's should be easy to determine; commoners mostly, with experts for more skilled craftsmen & professions.

Rhennee are well described in the 1e world of greyhawk boxed set. They are akin to water based gypsies. For 0L types, probably the expert class. I don't recall them being too prevalent in TOEE

Now, it is entirely possible, even desirable to give levels beyond 1 to these former L0 type. It depends on your method & style of conversion for the adventure(s). Moreover, you will find bandits & such with levels or HD among the rest...these would have been fighters in 1e (& often will be listed as such). You can convert them as fighters, or else make them warriors as well, but in the later case I recommend raising their level (HD) by AT LEAST 1.

Feats for L1 warriors/bandits? Again, I'd keep it simple, and frankly, despite what was said earlier by others, 1e or 2e style stat lines are a better way to go! Anyway, toughness, WF, improved init, lightning reflexes, point blank shot, precise shot, alertness, stealthy, able learner, etc. Pretty basic stuff, with perhaps something of use from post PH (such as able learner)

Skills? intimidate, spot, listen, move silently, hide, survival for bandits. Other than the first, all cross class for warriors.

Some examples.

TOOE pg 50 (read descriptions, etc) has guards with stat blocks of "Guards (5): AC 4, MV 9", Level 0, hp 7, 6, 5, 5, 5, #AT 1, D 1-8 (longsword) or 2-5 (crossbow bolt); SA javelins (D 1-6, ranges 2 "/4"/6"); XP 21, 20, 19 (x3)"

a direct conversion could be:
"earth temple guards" human warrior L1 AC 16 (mail, light shield) SPD 20 HP: 5 ea, init +4 BAB+1, F +2 R+0 W+0, long sword (+2 d8+1), 2 have heavy crossbows (+1 d10 120'; no shield use to start), 3 have javelins (+1 d6 30') S: spot+4, listen+4, sense motive +2 F: improved initiative, alertness S 12 D 11 C 10 I 10 W 11 CH 9

it is enough for the DM to know they have touch AC 10, etc

The way d20 works vs AD&D though, direct conversions may well let you down.

Vaprak001

First Post
The Rhennee crop up in several Greyhawk resources, including the 1E World of Greyhawk boxed set mentioned by GenghisDon. They're often used as the 'go-to' underworld resource in creating adventures centred around the city of Greyhawk or the Nyr Dyv Sea (lake?). The Greyhawk Adventures - City of Greyhawk, Slavers, Living Greyhawk gazaetteer, The Adventure Begins, From The Ashes, all make reference and can add 'flavour' to the Rhennee if you can get access

Halboy60

Villager
I have the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil and was just wanting to run the old version first in 3.5e, then maybe hook the Return in sometime later or as the old 1.0e hinted at the converted Slave Lords campaign.

Halboy60

Villager
Conversions of 1st and 2nd editions to 3.5e

I had asked earlier how do I convert brigands, bandits, and the Rhennee barge folk to the 3.5e of D&D. Well since then I've done some research and come up with a
workable solution. First I'd like to say that I'm in the process of converting the old T1-T4 Temple of Elemental Evil to 3.5 edition from 1st edition. Have found several
of the monsters that are no longer used in 3.5e in Dragon Magazines and would be happy to give out that information. But to the converting of the brigands, bandits
and the Rhennee barge folk, I just used the NPC warriors for brigands and bandits and made their level between 1-4, and for the bargefolk I used adepts for their
seers, experts for their rogues, warriors for their guards, and commoners to fill in the rest. Set levels appropriately for the style of play you wish to convey. As for
some of the monsters that I couldn't find online I used the monster creation section in the back of the 3.5e monster manual to make those, i.e. Vapor Rats, Vortexes,
Wind Walkers, so on, and so on.
If anyone wishes for information on how to convert the modules just write me and send it to my email address and I will get back with you asap.

Jim Inverness

First Post
You should set them as whatever lv = their listed HD. Wether you make them fighters, those NPC classes, or whatever is in the MM for bandits doesn't matter.

3x/PF adds ALOT of crap to a stat block. Sometimes it's usefull. Most often it's just too much useless info.
All you really need to know afterall is: AC, HP, HD/Lv, total attack bonus, Saves, # of attacks & Damage
Special relevant abilities - as per class lv
Feats? If you're not looking at an important NPC don't bother.
Skills? See above ^
If you must pull out a feat or skill, just abstract it. Skills? Just add +1 to the dice roll per lv/HD. Feats? About 1 per 2 Lv/HD

Only if the random bandit or whatever survives & becomes important to the game should you go back & fully stat them.
Otherwise your wasting time writing down pointless crap.

I completely agree. Just stick to the basic things you need for combat for the mooks unless and until something comes up to require special attention.

Halboy60

Villager
I don't think I mentioned anything about feats and skills in the previous information, but if you want to add them then it's fine. Yes it's a lot of work, but sometimes it makes for a more believable campaign. As for the Rhennee, they are mentioned in the the Greyhawk guide as being a mix bunch of different classes, i.e. Fighters, mages, rogues, clerks, and some Sorcerer's. I changed it for the 3.5e to the lesser classes of adepts, commoners, experts, and warriors. Gives them more depth. But anyone who wants to convert can do what they want to suit their style of play. I myself like detail.

Cleon

Legend
Have found several
of the monsters that are no longer used in 3.5e in Dragon Magazines and would be happy to give out that information.

From what I remember of it there aren't that many "nonstandard" monsters in T1-T4, most of them are straight out of the 1E Monster Manual.

We've got conversions for some of the ones that are missing from official 3.5 in the Creature Catalog - although the only one I can remember off the top of my head is the T1-T4 version of the Juggernaut.

The big one is the end boss of the module, Zuggtmoy the Queen of Fungi - you can find her in the Demononicon of Iggwilv of Dragon #337.

Last edited:

GreyLord

Legend
Sounds good. Probably too late to consider it, but the ToEE was converted to 3.5 previously, but in computer game format. I think they also had a ToEE booklet that had some of the information that was utilized by the computer game though.

Remove ads