D&D 4E Converting 4E to Al-Qadim

The infertility was the yakmen's plan right?

Yeah, they were one of several players on the infertility scheme, but I also thought they had some invasion of the body snatchers plans going down elsewhere.

Didn't they have someone in the temple of the Loregiver itself?

The Brotherhood of Flame is the only one i recall, but their motives seemed undefined.

I think the Brotherhood of the Flame was the most active of the cults of the elemental lords, but they were all a nascent problem. Anyone of them could be brought up as a complication further down the road.

Imagine, for instance, an arcane shadow war between the Brotherhood and a resurgent Cult devoted to the Elemental Lord of Water.

Or, perhaps, a larger conspiracy in which the mages devoted to each Lord have their own methodologies for bringing about the desolution of the world.

If you really wanted to 4E it you could rewrite to say that these are actual devil worshippers - seeing the Abyss as the true fate of the elemental chaos.

Did the Ghul Lords have an objective besides conquest & cannibalism?

Weren't they training people? Projecting the magic and environment of Ghul-ness. Could we give them an agenda beyond simple territorial acquisition? Maybe they have want to upset fate or the loregiver.

I recall the tension between tribes wanting (or being compelled) to civilize vs. those rejecting the lure of city-life (and possibly taking up arms). I imagine this would be an important theme in AQ4E, perhaps included themes of forced relocation of tribes.

Well, there are two ways this works:

First, there are the enlightened tribes. Groups of Elves, Humans, and Half-Elves who are part of the larger picture of Al-Quadim society and essential allies for anyone with larger political ambition. Sadly, the box sets went into too little detail with them. I never had the impression anyone was trying to civilize them, but I did think they were loosing prestige and there was tension over what exactly there role would be in a stronger more unified Caliphate. So there role in a weakened Chaotic Caliphate would be even more interesting.

Second, there were the unenlightened tribes. The hill tribes, forest tribes, and Island tribes who were the Barbarian Mercenaries and the sources of slaves and Mamlukes. They filled in all the blank and rough spaces on the map, but they were weak and without political clout. From the perspective of the Enlightened they should have been objects of evangelization or conquest, but their status as outsiders also made them economically valuable and it was unclear if the people of the Loregiver could even make their society work in those areas.

Was there a specific big theme around this? I can't recall.

Genie intrigues were what evil gods were in other settings, the generic excuse for adventure.

That was the theme behind Ruined Kingdoms, right? What were the geomancers after?

I honestly don't know. They were after occult knowledge and awakenning old powers and magics, but I don't know if they had objectives beyond that. No reason they couldn't develop some.

Maybe a hatred of the Pantheon states?

While I always felt there was great potential for this, I never saw anything about it in the products. I think a Persian-inspired region and an India-inspired region would be great additions. What was Akota modeled on again?

Akota was sort of like Ceylon so there would be your India inspired region, but it was also a sort of unique fantasy society with its Matriarchy and Polyandry.

The foriegn stuff should have been developed more, particularly in terms of refugees or adventurers.

Do you mean something else besides Hiyal's competition with Huzuz?

I remember them having weird dynastic and class politics. Maybe it develops into a democracy dominated by guilds and aristocratic banking clans?

It was always bizarre to me that Huzuz was both political and religious center of Zakhara. Both decadent and a pilgrimage site. Weird.

I loved it. Particularly things like the tiny community of Mazticans because it was such a strong center that a little bit of everying ended up there.

Hmm. Your choking coast idea could be the formative event of the young cities - by surviving together a new sense of cohesive identity emerges.

That was my thought. I also thought it might turn them more firmly towards the sea so that they become sort of like the Ancient Greeks throwing out small colonies into the many islands of the middle sea.

Perhaps they plan to secede or challenge the throne of the Grand Caliph?

I think they should develop into a sort of meta society like the knightly orders once Jerusalem fell as they grow farther and farther away from the purpose of shielding the Caliphate from foriegners.

Let's say they split and half the Mamlukes decide to stay true to their original purpose, and the other half become mercenaries and speculators establishing small fiefs in every city and principality. The defenders find themselves crippled by the tensions in the central city and in turn begin establishing fortresses all along the North strapped for resources, but cleverly made and independent of the Northern cities who have already subscribed to the services of their rivals.

If a foreign power were to invade, this would be the place to start, as the northern cities were fractitious. Maybe it is here, away from the eyes of heartland, that the nomad civilizing program is tested for viability throughout the caliphate?

I can see that. They can be the far edge of ruin, filled with social experiment and innovation but in the face of desperation, ignorance, and fear rather than inspiration.

We could add a social component too, maybe this is the land of too many temples and too many schools where strange and dangerous magics fight in the streets and topple rulers every week.

I always pictured a common man's prophet rising from the region espousing a liberation theology and attempting to coerce the leaders into separating from the Grand Caliphate. Perhaps it was the prophet (and/or allies?) who summoned the drought upon the Pearl Cities?

Oh, this could be developed in interesting ways. Maybe they have a slave rebellion lead by prophets that divides the political authority of the league, even as it gives them a new moral authority.

Whoa. Dragon?

I hadn't meant that literally, but now I really wish I had.

Quickleaf

Legend
I like this idea of advancing Zakhara's timeline. Let's run with it! :)

Yeah, they were one of several players on the infertility scheme, but I also thought they had some invasion of the body snatchers plans going down elsewhere.
Yeah, it was in the City of Delights where a yak-man was possessing a merchant. Hmm, need to re-read supplements...

Imagine, for instance, an arcane shadow war between the Brotherhood and a resurgent Cult devoted to the Elemental Lord of Water.

Or, perhaps, a larger conspiracy in which the mages devoted to each Lord have their own methodologies for bringing about the desolution of the world.
I think this was the idea behind The Complete Sha'ir's Handbook - covert arcane societies competing against each other, with tenuous alliances. However, their goals are left fairly vague, so there's room for expanding on them.

Akota was sort of like Ceylon so there would be your India inspired region, but it was also a sort of unique fantasy society with its Matriarchy and Polyandry.
Interesting - lots of potential there! It seems like Persian-themed empires may have been in the past, from what I can gather in Ruined Kingdoms where Egyptian & Persian tomb names are listed as ruins of ancient empires. It would be interesting to see a Persian-themed region, I think.

The foriegn stuff should have been developed more, particularly in terms of refugees or adventurers.
Agreed. Speaking of refugees, I think that meshes well with your Choking Coast idea - tribespeople and villagers seeking refuge in the Pearl Cities and getting taken advantage of by wealthy merchants. Crowded beyond reason, the Pearl Cities begin building ramshackle homes on top of homes, becoming tangled networks of sunless alleys.

I remember them having weird dynastic and class politics. Maybe it develops into a democracy dominated by guilds and aristocratic banking clans?
Possibly. I'll have to re-read the books to recall.

That was my thought. I also thought it might turn them more firmly towards the sea so that they become sort of like the Ancient Greeks throwing out small colonies into the many islands of the middle sea.
Interesting, so this would make the Crowded Sea even more of a game piece.

I think they should develop into a sort of meta society like the knightly orders once Jerusalem fell as they grow farther and farther away from the purpose of shielding the Caliphate from foriegners.
Well, the mamluks already have occupied Liham, so it's conceivable they occupy another city or two. What if the "Mamluk Territories" becomes distinct from the "Free Cities of the North"?

Let's say they split and half the Mamlukes decide to stay true to their original purpose, and the other half become mercenaries and speculators establishing small fiefs in every city and principality. The defenders find themselves crippled by the tensions in the central city and in turn begin establishing fortresses all along the North strapped for resources, but cleverly made and independent of the Northern cities who have already subscribed to the services of their rivals.
I like it. So some mamluks deviate from their mandate and work for free cities?

Quickleaf

Legend
OK, here's what I've got so far for "mega-plot":

Grand Caliph’s Heirs
The conspiracy to prevent the birth of an heir was foiled, and the Grand Caliph raises three sons. He must decide which will inherit the Enlightened Throne. However, their actions bring division to the Land of Fate, the eldest blinded by faith, the middle blinded by ambition, and the youngest blinded by love.

Lost Scrolls of the Loregivers
A shepherd’s daughter discovers a case of magic scrolls revealing a lost mandate of the Loregiver; her community decides to keep the knowledge to themselves until the caliphate is ready. The Grand Caliph’s eldest son travels to her remote village and proves himself worthy (albeit through trickery) to return with the scrolls which spark a great religious controversy. Sectarianism begins to splinter the once unified faith: Some interpret the scrolls one way, others a different way, and still others believe it is a deception.

Civilizing the Tribes
A misguided plan is hatched by the Grand Caliph’s middle son to relocate desert tribes to the cities, and experimental attempts are made in remote internment camps. Resistance forms against attempts to “civilize” them, and the Ghost Tribe swells in numbers, leading raids and subverting “civilizing” camps. Rulers among both the cities and tribes are divided by the plan.

The Looming Threat Abroad
While few trust the emissaries from Akota, the Grand Caliph’s youngest son makes the mistake of falling in love with the Raja’s daughter. Desperate to consummate his love and win her as his bride, he begins taking military measures which exacerbate the already tense relations with Akota. His foolish actions could lead to war.

The Shadow Caliph
A bastard heir, raised in secrecy without the Grand Caliph’s knowledge, is groomed by nefarious allies to challenge the throne. However, falling out with erstwhile allies, the “Shadow Caliph” averts a bloody coup in favor of psychological warfare striking terror into the hearts of the caliphs with a cadre of holy slayers. The caliphs are divided on how to deal with the threat of terrorism – some crack down on “subversive” elements, others call to the Grand Caliph for protection, while others agree to negotiate with the Shadow Caliph.

I like this idea of advancing Zakhara's timeline. Let's run with it! :)

Agreed. Any chance to talk seriously about Al-Quadim is a chance I'm gonna take.

I think this was the idea behind The Complete Sha'ir's Handbook - covert arcane societies competing against each other, with tenuous alliances. However, their goals are left fairly vague, so there's room for expanding on them.

Yeah, they had great ideas for magic that they just sort of left fallow. So there's a lot to work with there.

Maybe in the interregnum the culture of magic has developed enough that there are three distinct aspects to the culture:

1.) Popular Magic - the educational aspects of the arcane were already well developed with rules for allowing people acsess to utility spells through skill training. So let's say Zakhara has moved further so that there magical literacy is actually wider spread than textual literacy. Most craftsmen belong to guilds who posess libraries of rituals to aid with their craft, and most guilds have relationships with craft mages who do 'industrial' research and training. They also play a strong role in urban politics.

2.) Magic in Service - an education in magic is expensive both to hire and to acquire. As such they have become an important part of feudal and military obligations with Temples, Military Academies, and Great Houses all sponsoring students to train in magic and service. This is the standardized heroic magic.

3.) The Arcane World - in the wake of the Mystic wars a century ago and the first 'Taming of the Fire' the many magical academies of Zakhara with their wild and experimental styles sat down and created the oaths of disjunction which govern conflict between the cabals. This has created a magical sub-culture midway between the Old West and the world of Kung Fu where magicians with singular styles accept contract work, perform exhibitions, and police their own.

Interesting - lots of potential there! It seems like Persian-themed empires may have been in the past, from what I can gather in Ruined Kingdoms where Egyptian & Persian tomb names are listed as ruins of ancient empires. It would be interesting to see a Persian-themed region, I think.

Here's an idea - maybe the Persian Satrapies have alternate legitimacy to the Caliph. Their own distinct but clearly applicable revelation of the Loregiver.

In the time of Chaos it's unclear if they represent a foreign threat or the possibility of renewal from uncorrupted sources.

Agreed. Speaking of refugees, I think that meshes well with your Choking Coast idea - tribespeople and villagers seeking refuge in the Pearl Cities and getting taken advantage of by wealthy merchants. Crowded beyond reason, the Pearl Cities begin building ramshackle homes on top of homes, becoming tangled networks of sunless alleys.

This could be a good way of expanding the world, too, with refugees appearing the Peal Cities who have knowledge of lost kingdoms and civilizations in the mountains and islands of the west.

Interesting, so this would make the Crowded Sea even more of a game piece.

You could run it as a sort of tropical version of Moorish Spain, with hundreds of small city states claiming diverse heritages and engaged in a neverending kaleidoscope of war and peace with both each other and the native tribes.

Well, the mamluks already have occupied Liham, so it's conceivable they occupy another city or two. What if the "Mamluk Territories" becomes distinct from the "Free Cities of the North"?

I like it. So some mamluks deviate from their mandate and work for free cities?

I see it as a split between the Mamlukes who want to focus on the increasingly 'obsolete' and unpopular but decidely honorable task of defending the realm from foriegn invasion and those Mamlukes who turn to internal tasks that make good use of their discipline and training but still make them little more than dressed up mercenaries.

One result of the split is that the quality of being a Mameluke varies greatly according to which citadel you've found work with.

As a rule the Old Keep Citadels exemplify the oldest and most noble traditions of the Mamelukes, but a given citadel could be devoted to nothing more noble than the thankless task of exterminating bandits and

The New Embassy Citadels as a general rule perform only mundane tasks, but they might be well loved by the people for their sense of justice and dedication to due process.

In either case there have been cities who's administration has been usurped either in the wake of foriegn crisis or out of frustration with domestic corruption. All of these citadels are supposed to be subject to the same split council, but as a free Zakharan it can be difficult to discern what the sympathies of any individual general or even company might be.

OK, here's what I've got so far for "mega-plot":

Grand Caliph’s Heirs
The conspiracy to prevent the birth of an heir was foiled, and the Grand Caliph raises three sons. He must decide which will inherit the Enlightened Throne. However, their actions bring division to the Land of Fate, the eldest blinded by faith, the middle blinded by ambition, and the youngest blinded by love.

What of the three queens?

Perhaps the defeat of the curse had hidden costs as well, one's which have yet to be paid?

Lost Scrolls of the Loregivers
A shepherd’s daughter discovers a case of magic scrolls revealing a lost mandate of the Loregiver; her community decides to keep the knowledge to themselves until the caliphate is ready. The Grand Caliph’s eldest son travels to her remote village and proves himself worthy (albeit through trickery) to return with the scrolls which spark a great religious controversy. Sectarianism begins to splinter the once unified faith: Some interpret the scrolls one way, others a different way, and still others believe it is a deception.

I like this, maybe it can be worked in as a way to introduce new areas.

Civilizing the Tribes
A misguided plan is hatched by the Grand Caliph’s middle son to relocate desert tribes to the cities, and experimental attempts are made in remote internment camps. Resistance forms against attempts to “civilize” them, and the Ghost Tribe swells in numbers, leading raids and subverting “civilizing” camps. Rulers among both the cities and tribes are divided by the plan.

But let's say it also has a reactive effect, where the tribes become the greatest evangelizers among the lands of fate, bringing the words of enlightenment to other tribes and establishing themselves as alternate sovereignties taking taxes and allegiance from weaker civilized settlements.

Maybe, they also become the most fervent proponents of the new revelations or even simply the Faith Pragmatic.

The Looming Threat Abroad
While few trust the emissaries from Akota, the Grand Caliph’s youngest son makes the mistake of falling in love with the Raja’s daughter. Desperate to consummate his love and win her as his bride, he begins taking military measures which exacerbate the already tense relations with Akota. His foolish actions could lead to war.

I like this even better because in the view of Akota the heir would be marrying the daughter and surrendering his sovereignty to her. Doubly complicated because in the view of anyone with clear eyes she's clearly the superior candidate for Caliph based both on faith and intelligence.

The Shadow Caliph
A bastard heir, raised in secrecy without the Grand Caliph’s knowledge, is groomed by nefarious allies to challenge the throne. However, falling out with erstwhile allies, the “Shadow Caliph” averts a bloody coup in favor of psychological warfare striking terror into the hearts of the caliphs with a cadre of holy slayers. The caliphs are divided on how to deal with the threat of terrorism – some crack down on “subversive” elements, others call to the Grand Caliph for protection, while others agree to negotiate with the Shadow Caliph.

Hey even better: There is more than just a Shadow Caliph, there is also a Shadow Caliphate. Over the last decades a shadowy force has developed among the exiles of the desert and the marked men of the cities, a prophet of the damned - inspired by the new revelation - has moved among them to create a new Law for the world of shadows.

One that will soon be in need of a ruler.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I'll let the politicians get to the plot grinding, I'm going to start converting the AQ MC...
GROOVY!!!

aod_groovy.jpg

Quickleaf

Legend
What of the three queens?
*snip lots of cool stuff*
Ok, you've really set my wheels spinning now. I'm going to reread the Land of Fate boxed set to get a feel for the direction Jeff Grubb/Steve Kurtz and the rest were taking Zakhara. I'll save a more meaty response for later.

I'll let the politicians get to the plot grinding, I'm going to start converting the AQ MC...
Much obliged :)

And now for something completely different...here is my take on the Hakima cleric build! Anythingwith an asterisk* is new content. Still have to develop a couple new powers & rituals, but here it is for now.

Hakima [Cleric]
Gifted with insight, the hakima is a wise woman whose advice strengthens the meek and whose prophetic warnings bring down the mighty.
Hakima Class Features: Channel Divinity: Divine Fortune, Channel Divinity: Truth Sense*, Healing Word, Wisdom’s Lore*, Ritual Casting
Suggested Feat: Acumen*
Suggested Skills: Heal, Insight, Perception, Religion
Suggested At-Will Powers: Perjury’s Bane*, Priest’s Shield
Suggested Encounter Power: Cause Fear
Suggested Daily Power: Guardian of Faith
Suggested Paragon Path: Divine Oracle

Ritual Casting
You gain Ritual Caster as a bonus feat, allowing you to use magical rituals. You possess a ritual book with two rituals you have mastered: Avert Evil Eye* and one other of your choice.

Wisdom’s Lore
Your insights into men’s souls allow you to maximize your divine powers to your allies’ benefit. Add half your Wisdom modifier to any power bonus you provide your allies, though if the power bonus lists a different ability modifier, replace it with Wisdom instead (e.g. “+ Charisma modifier” becomes “+Wisdom modifier”).

Channel Divinity: Truth Sense
Alternate Cleric Class Feature
Your penetrating glare pierces deception and shakes the resolve of the most hardened criminals, providing you insight into their character.
Encounter * Divine
Standard Action Close burst 2 (5 at 11th level, 8 at 21st level)
Target: Each creature in burst
Attack: Wisdom vs. Will
Hit: You learn whether the target(s) is disguised or lying; you may learn their true class, level, race, alignment or station (pick one). Deceitful creatures take 1d6 + Wisdom psychic damage unless they reveal the truth.
Increase damage to 1d6 + Wisdom modifier at 5th level, 3d6 + Wisdom modifier at 11th level, 4d6 + Wisdom modifier at 15th level, 5d6 + Wisdom modifier at 21st level, and 6d6 + Wisdom modifier at 25th level.
Miss: You learn whether the target(s) is disguised or lying, and deal half damage.

Acumen [Heroic feat]
Benefit: Anytime you succeed an Insight check by 5 or more than the target number, you also learn what lies underneath or causes the motive, outside influence, or illusion. For example, you could learn a rebel’s wrath at the duke is driven by the death of a loved one, or that the king is under his vizier’s charm, or that the illusion conceals a pit trap.
You also gain a +2 feat bonus to Insight checks.

Hodag

First Post
Al Qadim MM

Okay, here is the grand list of all the critters in all the Al Qadim Material.
The "MM" means that it or a close analogue is already in the 4e Monster Manual. "Jester", means that it has been already written up by the one and only Jester on his amazing project.

218 Varieties more or less. The MM has 29 written up, and Jester's Monster Project currently has 17 leaving 172...
Code:
Abbazahr
Afanc
Al-Jahan
Ammiq Rasol
Ammut
Ant, Giant -- Jester
Ant Lion, Giant -- Alphastream (linked through Jester's Monster Project)
Apes -- Jester
Ashira
Asuras
Baku
Bat
     Dire -- Jester
     Swarm -- Jester
Bear, Black -- Jester
Beetle, Fire -- MM
Boar, Wild
Bonesnapper --Jester
Bunyip -- Jester