• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Al-Qadim creatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number 6

First Post
One of the Perform skills should be one of the Artist Genie's potential skills... as poems and music are listed in the descriptions.

I would also think Sleight of Hand could fit since the skill has a number of applications outside of thieving... in fact, that's one of the reasons the skill is no longer called Pick Pockets. Surely, it should not have more than five ranks... Cleon's point that these folks should not be masters of all of those secondary skills.

As an alternative to Diplomacy, Sense Motive might be their method of sizing up their subject or patron, sensing their intent, and possibly as a way of bringing out the most of his subject.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Number 6's suggestions make good sense.

How about:

Skill Ranks: Appraise 10*, Concentration 10, Craft (any one) 10*, Craft (any one) 5*, Diplomacy 10, Forgery 10, Knowledge (any 4) 5 ranks each, Perform (any one) 10*, Profession (any one) 10*, Sense Motive 10, Sleight of Hand 5, Use Magic Device 10

*An Artist genie gains a +4 racial bonus on Appraise, Craft, Perform and Profession checks related to its specialization (painting, armoursmithing, et cetera).

Number 6

First Post
Regarding Feats... how about three from the following:

Hover, Quicken Spell-Like Ability for one or more of the At Will or multiple use/day SLAs, Iron Will, Skill Focus (a likely choice), or maybe something else instead.

Cleon

Legend
Number 6's suggestions make good sense.

How about:

Skill Ranks: Appraise 10*, Concentration 10, Craft (any one) 10*, Craft (any one) 5*, Diplomacy 10, Forgery 10, Knowledge (any 4) 5 ranks each, Perform (any one) 10*, Profession (any one) 10*, Sense Motive 10, Sleight of Hand 5, Use Magic Device 10

*An Artist genie gains a +4 racial bonus on Appraise, Craft, Perform and Profession checks related to its specialization (painting, armoursmithing, et cetera).

Those skills look fine.

Cleon

Legend
Regarding Feats... how about three from the following:

Hover, Quicken Spell-Like Ability for one or more of the At Will or multiple use/day SLAs, Iron Will, Skill Focus (a likely choice), or maybe something else instead.

It wouldn't get much use out of Hover, since it can't fly.

With a caster level of 19 it could get Quicken Spell-Like Ability for any of its SLAs, including shadow conjuration.

We could give them Skill Focus (Craft) as a bonus feat

Djinn and Efreet get Improved Initiative as a bonus feat, so I'm thinking an Artist Genie should to, since they're derived from one. They also both have Combat Casting, Combat Reflexes and Dodge. I'd be tempted to give them one of the first two. If I remember correctly Artist Genies sometimes go ax-crazy if their works are defiled or insulted, and they are the most likely genie to transform into a Tasked Slayer Genie. That makes me think Combat Reflexes would be the most appropriate combat feat.

That would make:

Feats: Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative , Iron Will, Quicken Spell-Like Ability (invisibility), Skill Focus (Craft)

Cleon

Legend
Those feats appeal.

Updated.

Looks good, that just leaves us with Challenge Rating and descriptive text.

Their stats aren't that different from the SRD Janni, so they should probably have the same CR4. Their spells are a bit more useful and they do a bit more damage in melee, but Janni can fly and have missile weapons, which should even things up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads