Converting Al-Qadim creatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Back on task! *whip* :p

I'm not positive there needs to be an HD limit for Inspire Troops, but I could see saying that the genie needs "at least 2 more HD than the ally." As worded now, I think it could be slightly confusing if someone wasn't paying careful attention.

Number 6

First Post
I'm not positive there needs to be an HD limit for Inspire Troops, but I could see saying that the genie needs "at least 2 more HD than the ally." As worded now, I think it could be slightly confusing if someone wasn't paying careful attention.
A limit on the ability will help quantify the value of the ability, and the genie.

If not a limit on the total number of Hit Dice, we're going to need to draw a line somewhere... a specific number of soldiers perhaps, maybe 50 or 100.

Using HD totals seems logical and reasonable since a few spells are limited in this fashion to avoid making them too powerful. Sleep and Charm Monster (Mass) to name two.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Yeah, a total HD cap is fairly reasonable, but I don't think that's what the current ability says. I think the current ability says that allies inspired must be X levels lower than the genie (have X fewer HD).

Cleon

Legend
I'd rather use the "at least X more HD than the ally." Warmongers should be able to lead entire armies, and if we give this ability a total HD cap they might have trouble inspiring more than a platoon.

Haven't decided yet how much fewer HD the ally should have. I was originally wondering about +4, but that was just because I thought Warmongers had 10 hit dice (I was getting my Tasked Genies mixed up).

+2 is OK but it seemed a little high to me. I preferred +3, which is enough for the Warmonger to inspire 4th level heroes and stock Ogres.

However, I'm not that bothered about it, even +1 would do in a pinch.

Revising...

Inspire Troops (Ex): A warmonger genie can use displays of military prowess to inspire courage in its allies and followers, bolstering them against fear and improving their combat abilities. To be affected, an ally must be able to see the warmonger genie, and the warmonger must have at least X more HD than the ally. The effect lasts for as long as the ally can see the warmonger genie and for 5 rounds thereafter. An affected ally receives a +2 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +2 morale bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls. Should the ally see the warmonger genie be defeated or slain the morale bonus from Inspire Troops changes into a -2 morale penalty that lasts for 10 rounds. Inspire troops is a mind-affecting ability.

Number 6

First Post
I'd rather use the "at least X more HD than the ally." Warmongers should be able to lead entire armies, and if we give this ability a total HD cap they might have trouble inspiring more than a platoon.
I'm not so sure that's the case... give an HD limit of 100 Hit Dice and you've got 100 soldiers.

Allow it three times daily, and you've got 300 soldiers.

Make it 200 HD if you want.

Shade

Monster Junkie
The HD limit does seem thematically appropriate, as a "lower-level" sergeant could still inspire a fantasticly-skilled (read: "higher level") warrior under his command.

Cleon

Legend
I'm not so sure that's the case... give an HD limit of 100 Hit Dice and you've got 100 soldiers.

My problem with a HD cap limit is that it could be commanding a hundred 1-HD Kobolds or ten 10-HD giants, which are hardly an equivalent encounter. One's a rabble, the other's a town destroying juggernaut.

Hence, I'd prefer it with an individual HD limit around the same CR as the follower-types you get with Leadership.

Maybe have a level- or CR-limit and a total HD cap, i.e. X HD of creatures up to CR Y or level Y.

Maybe 100 HD plus 10 HD per level of the Warmonger, with creatures up to CR3 or level 4?

Allow it three times daily, and you've got 300 soldiers.

Make it 200 HD if you want.

I don't fancy having stackable X/day uses like that. I'd think the ability would be at-will.

Number 6

First Post
I don't fancy having stackable X/day uses like that. I'd think the ability would be at-will.
There's no reason to think it would be stackable. Most of those buffing abilities are not. You'd grant it to one set of 100 soldiers for the first use, and a completely different group of soldiers for the subsequent uses.

If it is At Will, there is effectively no limit to the number of creatures it can buff... which might shift game balance a bit.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Look at it this way: The benefit is essentially heroism, which is a 3rd-level spell that only affects a single ally. Since this is effectively "mass heroism", it's probably the equivalent of a 6th-level or higher spell. That's probably way too much for a creature of this power level to use at will.

I'd recommend either limiting it to 3/day (non-stacking), or making it require a standard action each round for the genie to maintain (barking orders, waving flags, and whatnot). I kinda like the latter, as it makes him even more of target, and explains why it ends if he is taking down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads