Converting Al-Qadim creatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

A chance to use a kukri? Sold! :lol:

Do they need any racial skill bonuses, or are we happy with the modifiers?

Environment: Any temperate or warm land?

Challenge Rating: 2?

Alignment: Always neutral, often good?

Advancement: 3-6 HD (Medium)?

Winemaker genies speak Common and Sylvan? (It mentions they like to converse with centaurs and the like)

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

A chance to use a kukri? Sold! :lol:

Do they need any racial skill bonuses, or are we happy with the modifiers?

Environment: Any temperate or warm land?

Challenge Rating: 2?

Alignment: Always neutral, often good?

Advancement: 3-6 HD (Medium)?

Winemaker genies speak Common and Sylvan? (It mentions they like to converse with centaurs and the like)

Most of that looks good, except for the languages. It says "Most such genies can speak many languages, so as to be able to travel the widest regions possible." so I'll suggest something like:

Winemaker genies can speak many languages, so as to be able to travel the widest regions possible. A typical winemaker genie speaks 4 languages, such as Common, Elven, Gnome and Sylvan.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Sounds good. Updated.

The flavor text is still a bit too close to the original text for my comfort. Would someone like to streamline it a bit further?

Number 6

First Post
You just made my effing day, Cleon!
That's because it's a different kind of grapecrushing altogether.:p
"That's because it's a different kind of grapecrushing."

Actually, Profession (farming) and Profession (vintner) make for a good combo. And the kukri is a great choice.

Maybe a Racial Bonus to Appraise skill checks when judging or analyzing wine.

Do we dare shift a point or two to Craft (cooper) and/or Craft (glassblowing) so they can make their own casks and barrels and wine bottles? Or is that just plain unnecessary.

Number 6

First Post
Sounds good. Updated.

The flavor text is still a bit too close to the original text for my comfort. Would someone like to streamline it a bit further?
Will this work at all?
Winemaker genies dedicate themselves to lives as vintners, nurturing grapevines, tending fields, and supervising harvests to create the finest possible vintages. Wine produced by a winemaker genie generally fetches four times its normal value on the open market.

They never remain at a given vineyard for more than two years. Harvest time is their only celebration; they are great drinkers and are capable of entertaining workers with self-deprecating humor and song.

Unfortunately, the winemaker genies sample their own product all too often, leading them to excessive drinking as well as a deterioration of their talent. Older winemaker genies may become eccentric vintners who cater to jaded palates, or they may become village drunks, madmen, and fools.

Winemaker genies serve only so long as their masters do not mistreat them.
They do not stand for anyone watering down their wine much less fortifying it with a less than perfect beverage. Winemaker genies forced to their task produce excellent wines, but the result may lack that special aroma, flavor, aftertaste, texture, coloring, and so on. Such winemakers often decline into drunkenness and eccentricity much more quickly.

Winemaker genies are friendly to any race that appreciates their talents, regardless of alignment. They frequently associate with wine snobs, drunks, and bacchanalia fey.
The languages and description should be fine.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I like the Craft skills you suggest. I'd happily steal some ranks from the Performs and/or Jump for them.

Number 6

First Post
I like the Craft skills you suggest. I'd happily steal some ranks from the Performs and/or Jump for them.
On the downside, it makes them kind of a One Man Band, which doesn't quite fit the setting (the Al-Qadim campaign specifically, as well as fantasy campaigns)... but then again, they are tasked genies. It wouldn't be hard to fathom that they would be asked to do those things occasionally.

In fact, the winemakers are probably rather opinionated as to what materials are used and shapes casks and bottles are made into based on the specific wine type they are making.

"My latest red wine is such a fine quality... only the finest Harabi hardwoods are worthy for making the casks to hold such a vintage!"

Number 6

First Post
Cleon might have something.

But when the Winemaker is done we should be finished with the MC13 tasked genies. Before we jump over to the tasked genies from the boxed sets, would anyone mind tackling a few monsters from the City of Delights boxed set?

Perhaps the al-Jahar, the Pasari-Niml, and the Tatalla?

Maybe moving on to the Tasked Deceiver Genies from ALQ2 after that?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Cleon might have something.

Well I hope I don't catch it! :p

But when the Winemaker is done we should be finished with the MC13 tasked genies. Before we jump over to the tasked genies from the boxed sets, would anyone mind tackling a few monsters from the City of Delights boxed set?

Perhaps the al-Jahar, the Pasari-Niml, and the Tatalla?

Maybe moving on to the Tasked Deceiver Genies from ALQ2 after that?

I'll do you one better: I'll move the remaining tasked genies to a "Finishing off the Genies" thread, and we can tackle the other critters here.

I believe all the remaining tasked genies were compiled in Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume One, so I'd like to tackle them alphabetically (making the deceiver second only to the administrator). Sound OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads