• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Al-Qadim creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'd prefer she have a Dex bonus since Bird Maidens would have difficulty wearing armor.

I'd be OK with either Int or Str for the 10 and am leaning towards Str - they're renowned for their wisdom and knowledge, but there's no mention of them being muscular.

How about Str 10, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 8 with the 4HD ability advancement increasing Wisdom to 16?

I'm good with that.

How about a finessable weapon like a rapier and something like a sling ranged? The sling may not be optimal, but it strikes me as flavorful.

Cleon

Legend
I'm good with that.

How about a finessable weapon like a rapier and something like a sling ranged? The sling may not be optimal, but it strikes me as flavorful.

She's a cleric, so would have to take Martial Weapon Proficiency to do that, which doesn't seem a very efficient use of a feat.

I'd think a plain dagger or spear would be more sensible.

A sling's fine, though.

Updating the Bird Maiden Working Draft.

freyar

Weapon Finesse works with a dagger, so let's go with that.

Do we need to list all the bird forms she gets again?

Work on the spells next? At 0th level, I guess I'd go detect magic, purify food and drink (x2), read magic, resistance. That just seems to fit thematically.

Cleon

Legend
Weapon Finesse works with a dagger, so let's go with that.

Agreed.

Do we need to list all the bird forms she gets again?

I was going to, complete with mini stat-blocks, since it'll make the sample creature more useful.

Work on the spells next? At 0th level, I guess I'd go detect magic, purify food and drink (x2), read magic, resistance. That just seems to fit thematically.

How about a detect poison or mending instead of one of those purify food and drink?

freyar

I was thinking about detect poison, but I might put it in instead of resistance rather than dropping a purify food and drink. They might want those spells to help people out, you know. But I'll let you choose.

First level spells: Detect Undead, Divine Favor, Entangle(D), Magic Weapon, Sanctuary ??

Cleon

Legend
I was thinking about detect poison, but I might put it in instead of resistance rather than dropping a purify food and drink. They might want those spells to help people out, you know. But I'll let you choose.

How likely is it they'll need two purify food and drink spells to help some people they met? For that matter, how likely is it they'll need that spell so urgently they don't have the time to wait for their spells to refresh and prepare them.

A detect poison spell would also be helpful in the "helping people" stake and increases the versatility of her spell selection.

detect magic, detect poison, purify food and drink, read magic, resistance.

If you still want to swap out the resistance I'd be OK swapping it for mending, although they both can be used as "helping-others.

First level spells: Detect Undead, Divine Favor, Entangle(D), Magic Weapon, Sanctuary ??

Overall it's a good selection, but it seems a bit short on the "helping others" front. Many regular adventurer-clerics probably go into a dungeon with those 1st level spells ready.

How about deathwatch? That's really useful for a healer cleric to perform triage on those they are treating.

We could swap it for, say, detect undead or magic weapon.

The Bird Maiden in the Dragon magazine Ecology of article used entangle, so that seems appropriate for the Domain spell.

freyar

OK, then:

0--detect magic, detect poison, purify food and drink, read magic, resistance
1--deathwatch, detect undead, divine favor, entangle(D), sanctuary

For second level, maybe aid, barkskin(D), delay poison, lesser restoration, make whole?

Cleon

Legend
OK, then:

0--detect magic, detect poison, purify food and drink, read magic, resistance
1--deathwatch, detect undead, divine favor, entangle(D), sanctuary

For second level, maybe aid, barkskin(D), delay poison, lesser restoration, make whole?

I like all of those except make whole, which I'd rather substitute for something a bit more combat-oriented.

Maybe spiritual weapon, enthrall, or summon monster II?

freyar

Enthrall seems the most appealing to me of those options.

3rd level suggestions: Dispel Magic, Dominate Animal (D), Remove Curse, Searing Light

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, just can't believe how busy I've been. This seems like a theme with my work...

Cleon

Legend
Enthrall seems the most appealing to me of those options.

3rd level suggestions: Dispel Magic, Dominate Animal (D), Remove Curse, Searing Light

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, just can't believe how busy I've been. This seems like a theme with my work...

Those are fine by me. He'll have 2+1 third-spells for being a 6th level cleric so we'll need to cut one of them. Tactically dropping the remove curse would make most sense (since most curses are slow enough she could prepare the spell if she needs it). That suggests:

0—detect magic, detect poison, purify food and drink, read magic, resistance
1—deathwatch, detect undead, divine favor, entangle (D), sanctuary
2—aid, barkskin (D), delay poison, enthrall, lesser restoration
3—dispel magic, dominate animal (D), searing light

Is that OK by you?

Remove ads