• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Al-Qadim creatures

Cleon

Legend
If we're going to do that, I want to say that the sight-tracking jann saluqi have +0 DC per day later. These special abilities should make sense in the context of the general rules.

That doesn't seem a very good idea, a +0 DC means the saluqi gets no penalty no matter how old the trail is.

I'd rather keep the sight-tracker with the default Tracking bonus of +1 per 24 hours, as per the standard rules, and only make a special case for the scent-tracker.

If you really want to make a special case for the jann saluqi's Tracking DCs as well, surely it'd be better to increase the time period - e.g. +1 per 48 hours instead of 24.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
EDIT: I see it will be hard to please both me and Cleon. What if we just cut all the penalties in half? +1 per 48 hours for sight, +1 per hour on scent? That's consistent for both of them. I just feel like otherwise we're boosting the scent too much.

Shade

Monster Junkie
EDIT: I see it will be hard to please both me and Cleon. What if we just cut all the penalties in half? +1 per 48 hours for sight, +1 per hour on scent? That's consistent for both of them. I just feel like otherwise we're boosting the scent too much.

I find that agreeable.

Cleon

Legend

But then the jungle hound wouldn't be able to track week-old scents, which their AD&D description explicitly says the can.

freyar

But then the jungle hound wouldn't be able to track week-old scents, which their AD&D description explicitly says the can.
I can't say I know the AD&D rules for tracking, but they seem like they must be very different than the 3e ones, assuming they were even codified. I just don't think we should break the general tracking rules to pieces for this.

Put it another way: there's nothing in the original monster write up to suggest that the jungle hounds should get so much bigger of a boost than the usual jann saluqi.

Cleon

Legend
I can't say I know the AD&D rules for tracking, but they seem like they must be very different than the 3e ones, assuming they were even codified. I just don't think we should break the general tracking rules to pieces for this.

Best I can recall, the ranger class had rules for tracking sign, but their were no codified rules for scent-tracking animals so the DM would have just made something up.

That says it best. Agreed!

Disagreed! Rules are there to be bent at the DM's whim, don't you know. It's just a question of showing them who's boss, like Humpty Dumpty's approach to lexicography.

I have a feeling I'm not swaying you... :.-(

So are you two sticking to +1 per 48 hours for sight, +1 per hour on scent? If you're dead set against week-long scent tracking I suppose you'd better stick in whatever duration penalty you want and move on, or we'll never leave this topic.

It's not like I'm not going to change the SQ for my version, after all. :D

freyar

Well, I'm just dead set on not boosting the scent version more than the sight version. ;) DMs can bend rules on a whim, but I don't think designers should.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads