• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Al-Qadim creatures

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

For the jungle hounds, should infallible tracking be modified for scent in addition to (or instead of) sight?

I was thinking of just leaving it as is, but I don't mind changing it.

How's this:

Infallible Tracking (Su): A jungle hound has a supernatural sense of smell that allows it to infallibly follow a scent trail up to 7 days old, provided the surface the trail crosses is not fluid (i.e. the saluqi can not use infallible tracking if the creature flies away or enters water). Anti-divination spells such as nondetection are effective against infallible tracking.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
7 days is superlong compared to the 30 minutes we gave the jann saluqi to track by sight. Normally, the DC for tracking by scent goes up by 2 per hour as opposed to 1 per day for tracking by sight. If anything, I'd reverse the numbers!

How about 7 days for the normal jann saluqi and 4 hours for the jungle version?

Cleon

Legend
7 days is superlong compared to the 30 minutes we gave the jann saluqi to track by sight. Normally, the DC for tracking by scent goes up by 2 per hour as opposed to 1 per day for tracking by sight. If anything, I'd reverse the numbers!

How about 7 days for the normal jann saluqi and 4 hours for the jungle version?

I'd rather just give them both 30 minutes of Infallible Tracking. That was my first thought, and on reflection I feel it works better.

Although I would rather the jungle hound's scent tracking can work for days rather than hours, since the original text says it can track week-old scents.

Revising...

Infallible Tracking (Su): A jungle hound has a supernatural sense of smell that allows it to infallibly follow a scent trail up to 30 minutes old, provided the surface the trail crosses is not fluid (i.e. the saluqi can not use infallible tracking if the creature flies away or enters water). If the trail is older than 30 minutes, the jungle hound must make Wisdom checks to follow the trail as per the scent special ability, except the DC to follow a cold scent trail increases at +1 per 24 hours instead of the normal +2 per hour. Anti-divination spells such as nondetection are effective against infallible tracking.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
If we're going to do that, I want to say that the sight-tracking jann saluqi have +0 DC per day later. These special abilities should make sense in the context of the general rules.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Like so?

Infallible Tracking (Su): A jann saluqi has supernatural eyesight that allows it to view recent trails as a glowing set of tracks. This allows the saluqi to infallibly follow any trail up to 30 minutes old, provided the surface the trail crosses is not fluid (i.e. the saluqi can not use infallible tracking if the creature flies away or enters water). If the trail is older than 30 minutes, the jann saluqi must make Survival checks as normal for tracking, except the DC to follow a cold trail increases at +0 per 24 hours instead of the normal +1 every 24 hours since the trail was made. Anti-divination spells such as nondetection are effective against infallible tracking.

Infallible Tracking (Su): A jungle hound has a supernatural sense of smell that allows it to infallibly follow a scent trail up to 30 minutes old, provided the surface the trail crosses is not fluid (i.e. the saluqi can not use infallible tracking if the creature flies away or enters water). If the trail is older than 30 minutes, the jungle hound must make Wisdom checks to follow the trail as per the scent special ability, except the DC to follow a cold scent trail increases at +1 per 24 hours instead of the normal +2 per hour. Anti-divination spells such as nondetection are effective against infallible tracking.

Remove ads