Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Looking good.

Verini are fast. When running, they sometimes go down on all fours and are able to cover terrain very quickly. They have a knack of knowing where to go to find the easiest ground, so they suffer no penalties for moving over rough terrain. In actuality, they take pride in how quickly they can move. It is somewhat of a contest for the younger verini to see who can cover a given amount of rocky terrain the fastest.

This suggests 2 abilities. First, some sort of sprinting or faster movement when down on all fours. Then there's the aforementioned "no terrain penalties" ability. I know we have examples of both, but I don't know where.

Also, the flavor text says they are amphibian. Do we keep the reptilian subtype following the firenewts (which should be amphibian also) or remove it? Anyone know off-hand if boggards or bullywugs or sivs are reptilian?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Bullywugs and sivs = not reptilian.

Dunno about boggards.

I'm hunting for those abilities...

freyar

I'm going to say leave reptilian in. They're related to firenewts, which are, even if that's questionable. Though I suppose the firenewts are supposed to be related to lizardfolk.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Here's one of the abilities we were seeking...

All-Terrain Travel (Ex): A roller sheen ignores all movement penalties based upon terrain (such as ice, undergrowth, etc.).

For the other, we used the "all fours" bit in the drop bear. Essentially, we just gave them the sprint ability, and noted in the tactics that they could drop to all fours to sprint.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Firenewts do have the reptilian subtype, being relatives of lizardfolk. Somewhere in the edition switch, they stopped being amphibians and started being reptiles. Oh, and boggards aren't reptilian either. They're Humanoid (boggard).

freyar

Here's one of the abilities we were seeking...

All-Terrain Travel (Ex): A roller sheen ignores all movement penalties based upon terrain (such as ice, undergrowth, etc.).

For the other, we used the "all fours" bit in the drop bear. Essentially, we just gave them the sprint ability, and noted in the tactics that they could drop to all fours to sprint.
I think just using those with appropriate name changes is perfect.

And I guess we're agreed on leaving reptilian in?

Uhh, are we missing any more SAs or SQs?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yeah, let's stick with reptilian since they are closely related to the firenewt.

Verini are fast. When running, they sometimes go down on all fours and are able to cover terrain very quickly. They have a knack of knowing where to go to find the easiest ground, so they suffer no penalties for moving over rough terrain. In actuality, they take pride in how quickly they can move. It is somewhat of a contest for the younger verini to see who can cover a given amount of rocky terrain the fastest.

Rename all-terrain travel to "Clever Runner"? Should we limit this to ignoring movement penalties from scree and rubble? Nothing seems to indicate they wouldn't be affected by heavy undergrowth in a forest or for traveling through hedgerows.

freyar

Clever Runner sounds good. And I agree to limiting to scree and rubble. Sounds right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads