Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I think I like the "sacrificial parry" option best. How's this?

Sacrificial Parry (Ex): As a swift action, a bloodthorn can move one of its tendrils to intercept an attack intended for its body. All damage is dealt to the tendril rather than the body.

I wouldn't worry too much about what it can do once its tendrils are all severed. It is essentially just a lame duck at that point, much like a wizard without spells. :)

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Two things for the sacrificial parry: it needs to be an immediate action, and it probably shouldn't be automatic. How about this?

Sacrificial Parry (Ex): As an immediate action, a bloodthorn can move one of its tendrils to intercept an attack intended for its body. To do so, the bloodthorn makes a tendril attack roll; if that roll exceeds its opponents attack check, all damage is dealt to the tendril rather than the body. Otherwise, damage is dealt to the body as usual.

freyar

Hmm, we still need to get rid of the line that it can be killed by severing all the tendrils.

Spot 3, Listen 3 for skills? Or maybe Hide 2, Listen 2, Spot 2?

How are the tendrils +8 attack? (Noticed that when thinking about feats.)

Big Mac

Explorer
Hmm, we still need to get rid of the line that it can be killed by severing all the tendrils.

Yep. That is my baggage. I think we also need to insert some new information that explains how the creature actually fights. The blurb is currently just about how to kill it.

Spot 3, Listen 3 for skills? Or maybe Hide 2, Listen 2, Spot 2?

Or perform piano! :p ;)

Joking aside, I think these work fairly well, although the creature doesn't seem to have ears to listen with. I wonder if it would hear through its body.

How are the tendrils +8 attack? (Noticed that when thinking about feats.)

Hmm. I'm not sure. I don't think this one is my fault (the last one definately was) unless this is something imported from the hydra. Maybe +8 is for a creature with more HD. What do you think the BAB should be?

freyar

The BAB is listed correctly as +2, and Str should give another +2, so tendril +4. Probably this is copy-paste from the hydra.

Feats: Weapon Focus (tendril), Power Attack?

Removing the severed vine does 1d4+Con bonus damage? Con based DC for the Heal check?

CR 3? Treasure: 1/10 coins, 1/10 goods, 1/2 items? Advancement: - like the hydra? The plant's base is 5 ft long?

Ready to move to the 4-tendril version?

Last edited:

Big Mac

Explorer
The BAB is listed correctly as +2, and Str should give another +2, so tendril +4. Probably this is copy-paste from the hydra.

Ohh! I just noticed that the grapple is +8. Maybe we copied that over to the attack roll by mistake.

I'm happy to go with your changes. Is the grapple ok?

Feats: Weapon Focus (tendril), Power Attack?

They seem OK to me.

Removing the severed vine does 1d4+Con bonus damage? Con based DC for the Heal check?

So do you want to do Con damage instead of hp damage when the vine is removed? :-S

CR 3? Treasure: 1/10 coins, 1/10 goods, 1/2 items? Advancement: - like the hydra? The plant's base is 5 ft long?

That all sounds fairly logical. Are we going to make the plants with more tendril's larger or keep them all the same size?

Ready to move to the 4-tendril version?

I think we have missed this out:

The plant retreats from flame, and any stem that is seared releases its victim and curls back up around the base.​

Maybe that needs to go into the combat section as flavor. Or maybe this plant should have some sort of vulnerability to fire.

The "curls back up" refernce suggests to me that the tendrils may naturally sit curled up around the base of the plant.

I also think we need to explain a bit about the combat tactics of the plant in the combat section (before the mention of cutting of tendrils).

The plant normally lies dormant and immobile with its thorns lynig flat against its vines. So I'd say a spot check against DC X will reveal that the plant has dangerous spikes, otherwise people should see it as a normal plant. (A search check should provoke an attack.)

It waits until a creature comes into range and then lashes out. I'm not sure how it came to get "low light vision". I think that might be a cut and paste error. I think it should have something like tremorsense or some sort of bodyheat detection.

Several plants are said to sometimes attack at the same time, but I'd make that a co-incidence. Someone fighting a bloodthorn should set of nearby plants by their movement.

freyar

Ohh! I just noticed that the grapple is +8. Maybe we copied that over to the attack roll by mistake.

I'm happy to go with your changes. Is the grapple ok?
Grapple looks right to me; it has a +4 bonus for being Large.

So do you want to do Con damage instead of hp damage when the vine is removed? :-S
I meant to do hp damage of the value 1d4+the bloodthorn's Con modifier, which would be 1d4+2 for this bloodthorn. But I don't remember if usually the Con modifier is added in situations like this.

That all sounds fairly logical. Are we going to make the plants with more tendril's larger or keep them all the same size?
My feeling is to increase size somewhere in the middle (maybe at 6 tendrils?).

I think we have missed this out:

The plant retreats from flame, and any stem that is seared releases its victim and curls back up around the base.​

Maybe that needs to go into the combat section as flavor. Or maybe this plant should have some sort of vulnerability to fire.

The "curls back up" refernce suggests to me that the tendrils may naturally sit curled up around the base of the plant.

Yes, some kind of vulnerability to fire would make sense. The normal bloodthorn in the CC is vulnerable to cold (in that it gets paralyzed if hit by a cold attack). Maybe something like that?

I also think we need to explain a bit about the combat tactics of the plant in the combat section (before the mention of cutting of tendrils).
Yeah, Shade normally does that. ;)
The plant normally lies dormant and immobile with its thorns lynig flat against its vines. So I'd say a spot check against DC X will reveal that the plant has dangerous spikes, otherwise people should see it as a normal plant. (A search check should provoke an attack.)
Could go with the Spot check or maybe just leave it as flavor? Not sure.
It waits until a creature comes into range and then lashes out. I'm not sure how it came to get "low light vision". I think that might be a cut and paste error. I think it should have something like tremorsense or some sort of bodyheat detection.

Several plants are said to sometimes attack at the same time, but I'd make that a co-incidence. Someone fighting a bloodthorn should set of nearby plants by their movement.

Probably blindsight or lifesense would be good, but tremorsense works for me, too. We can just use the organization (patch) for the multiple bloodthorns, I think.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Plants get low-light vision by default, but I'm fine with adding tremorsense or lifesense.

Normal vulnerability (+50% damage) to fire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads