• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings

Cleon

Legend

Where we not going to add a limit to how many claw attacks a lost soul can bring to bear against a given target, like a darktentacles? (i.e. 3 or 4 per 5' of facing)

If not, the big ones can do a horrible amount of damage against a single opponent per round.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I would prefer 4 attacks per 5 foot of facing, since the "standard models" have even numbers of claw/touch attacks.

Modifying the darktentacles thusly gives us...

A lost soul can use only four claw attacks at once against a Small or Medium opponent. Against a larger foe, it can use four additional claws for each extra 5 feet of face the opponent has, provided that it has the reach. Against a Tiny or smaller opponent, the creature can use only one claw. It can use a maximum of four claws against all foes in any single 5-foot by 5-foot area.

...and...

An incorporeal lost soul can use only four incorporeal touch attacks at once against a Small or Medium opponent. Against a larger foe, it can use four additional incorporeal touches for each extra 5 feet of face the opponent has, provided that it has the reach. Against a Tiny or smaller opponent, the creature can use only one incorporeal touch. It can use a maximum of four incorporeal touch attacks against all foes in any single 5-foot by 5-foot area.

Cleon

Legend
Modifying the darktentacles thusly gives us...

A lost soul can use only four claw attacks at once against a Small or Medium opponent. Against a larger foe, it can use four additional claws for each extra 5 feet of face the opponent has, provided that it has the reach. Against a Tiny or smaller opponent, the creature can use only one claw. It can use a maximum of four claws against all foes in any single 5-foot by 5-foot area.

...and...

An incorporeal lost soul can use only four incorporeal touch attacks at once against a Small or Medium opponent. Against a larger foe, it can use four additional incorporeal touches for each extra 5 feet of face the opponent has, provided that it has the reach. Against a Tiny or smaller opponent, the creature can use only one incorporeal touch. It can use a maximum of four incorporeal touch attacks against all foes in any single 5-foot by 5-foot area.

That's what I'd go for.

Just plug it in to both versions and I think we can call it a day.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated standard and incorporeal versions.

Finally finished! The thread is free! FREE!

Quickly moving on before the lost souls can somehow assimiliate us again...

The Ice Fiend
(MAw; Az, major, 32; CE)

This awnshegh has begun terrorizing the isolated province of Rjutaffel in Jankaping. So far, no one has seen the creature and lived; it largely exists ar rumor.

The Ice Fiend was once a Rjurik ranger named Holm Sturmajallik. Holm began to manifest strange abilities in his twentieth year when he froze an attacking orog solid with a single glance. Holm tried to use his powers to aid his tribe, but he gradually felt more isolated from them. He grew in stature and his skin began to turn a shiny blue-white color. Several years after his original manifestation, Holm completely transformed into a 10-foot-tall statue of solid, living, ice, and totally accepted life as an evil awnshegh.

The Ice Fiend's powers wax and wane with the seasons. During the spring and summer, it hides, vulnerable to normal weapons. As the weather grows colder in the fall, the Fiend grows in strnegth. In the depths of winter, it emerges, all but invulnerable to attack.

During the months of Haelynir, Anarire, and Deismir, the following statistics apply:

Ice Fiend, Awnshegh: AC 8; MV 12; HD 5; hp 25; THAC0 15; #AT 1; Dmg 1d6; SZ L (10' tall); ML elite (13); AL CE

During the months of Erntenir, Sehnir, Emmanir, Sarimiere, Talienir, and Roelir, the Ice Fiend has the following statistics:

Ice Fiend, Awnshegh: AC 4; MV 12; HD 8; hp 40; THAC0 13; #AT 1; Dmg 2d8; SA breath weapon; SD +1 or better weapon to hit; SZ L (10' tall); ML elite (13); AL CE

In this condition, the Ice Fiend slashes with its claws for 2d8 points of damage and can deliver an icy breath equivalent to the breath weapon of an age 5 white dragon, 3x/day. The Ice Fiend is immune to normal weapons and can be hit only by magical weapons of +1 or greater enchantment.

The rest of the year, the Ice Fiend uses the following statistics:

Ice Fiend, Awnshegh: AC 0; MV 12; HD 10; hp 50; THAC0 11; #AT 1; Dmg 3d8; SA breath weapon; SD +3 or better weapon to hit; SZ L (10' tall); ML elite (13); AL CE

The Ice Fiend 's breath weapon functions as that of an age 8 white dragon. The Fiend is immune to normal weapons and can be hit only by magical weapons of +3 or greater.

Originally appeared in Rjurik Highlands (1996).

I suppose it's time to familiarize myself with the Birthright setting! B-)

Cleon

Legend
Updated standard and incorporeal versions.

Finally finished! The thread is free! FREE!

Quickly moving on before the lost souls can somehow assimiliate us again...

A hideous mass of undead bodies congeals from the mists, crying "Hold Shade! There is no escape from our conversion. You have omitted a 'creating a lost soul' note, so you must still become One Off US! It is futile to resist!"

Heroically leaping between Shade and the curiously articulate lost soul appears Cleon, defiantly announcing "You have no hold on this worthy Shade! We need not expound on how some foul necromancer can create your kind, for their are extradimensional undead in Ye Booke of Monstres (3rd edition) which spurn such details of their creation, such as the unholy Devourer."

Cleon

Legend
The Ice Fiend

I suppose it's time to familiarize myself with the Birthright setting! B-)

It might help to familiarize yourself with how Blood Abilities work (see Birthright Campaign Setting Rulebook, pages 20-29). The Ice Fiend has the Azrai bloodline so is an Awnshegh, a character or creature that's inherited the power of an evil god and turned into a monster. There's some background and many examples of Awnsheghs in the Rulebook (pages 89-90 and reference cards 9-12) and Blood Enemies - Abominations of Cerilia.

The Ice Fiend's Blood Abilities appear to be the form of a giant ice-monster (Bloodform) and immunity to normal weapons (Invulnerability). I'm guessing the frost breath weapon is part of his Bloodform, since I can't find any awnsheghs that have breath weapons as a separate blood ability. Then again, I believe "special" blood abilities aren't unusual for an awnshegh.

Two (or is it three) Blood abilities is reasonable for a creature with 32 Blood Strength like the Ice Fiend. Unlike ordinary Blooded creatures, the ice fiend's Blood abilities seem to vary in strength with the season. It doesn't give the Fiend a Blood Abilities breakdown, but it looks like they're powerless in spring and summer, Minor Abilities in autumn and Major Abilities in winter.

Remove ads