Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings

Cleon

Legend
You make a good case for eagle's splendor at 2nd level.

Let's go for that then.

Summon monster I, hypnotism, and enlarge person (for martial type slaves) seem appropriate at 1st level. What do you think?

By the way, I think we should drop the Wizard spells prepared section, since we went with innate Sorcerer casting. And the listing should be "Typical Sorcerer Spells Known," as opposed to "Prepared." ;)

Why hypnotise when you can enslave?

I think they'd be better off with a defensive spell in their first level selection, like mage armor.

The problem with enlarge person is that they do most of their business around the outer planes, where there are few humanoids to enlarge. Even petitioners are Outsiders.

They can't use it on their Umber Hulk bodyguards, because those are Aberrations.

If you're wanting an offense-boosting 1st level Wizard spell it doesn't really have any options except for true strike, which is Personal so can't be used on its slaves.

Maybe ray of enfeeblement to make an opponent easier for its slaves to overpower?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Enslave is only 3/day and requires a touch. Hypnotism is ranged and covers a few more critters. But I'd be ok with mage armor.

I would assume that they have a few humanoid slaves. There are plenty of humanoid enclaves in the outer planes. But if you don't like that, what about feather fall?

Cleon

Legend
Enslave is only 3/day and requires a touch. Hypnotism is ranged and covers a few more critters. But I'd be ok with mage armor.

I would assume that they have a few humanoid slaves. There are plenty of humanoid enclaves in the outer planes. But if you don't like that, what about feather fall?

Well feather fall is very situational. I doubt many sorcerers take it unless they're excepting to fall off things a lot.

Hold on, these are traders who deal with numerous weird creatures. Wouldn't they get a lot of use out of comprehend languages?

freyar

I can go with comprehend languages as a utility spell. So we have that, summon monster I, and mage armor at 1st level?

Now we need 6 cantrips. How about read magic, detect magic, mage hand, resistance, and ??

Cleon

Legend
I can go with comprehend languages as a utility spell. So we have that, summon monster I, and mage armor at 1st level?

Now we need 6 cantrips. How about read magic, detect magic, mage hand, resistance, and ??

How about mending, to fix up damaged trade goods?

freyar

So read magic, detect magic, mage hand, resistance, mending, and maybe detect poison as self-protection?

Cleon

Legend
So read magic, detect magic, mage hand, resistance, mending, and maybe detect poison as self-protection?

Works for me!

So are we OK updating with:

2nd level - eagle's splendor;
1st level - comprehend languages, mage armor, summon monster I;
0 level - detect magic, detect poison, mage hand, mending, read magic, resistance;

freyar

That'll do. I think you can finally remove the red text on the collaborative casting assuming that's all updated.

Ready for feats? Maybe something metamagicky?

Cleon

Legend
That'll do. I think you can finally remove the red text on the collaborative casting assuming that's all updated.

Updating Tso Working Draft.

I checked and the draft version of collaborative casting is up to date.

Ready for feats? Maybe something metamagicky?

Yes, my first thought was to pick something Metamagicky, then I started thinking those aren't that many that are useful for a "rank and file" Tso. They can only use +1 spell level Metamagic on their own spells. I suppose we could go for Extend Spell. All of their 1st level spells would benefit from a longer duration.

Failing that, we could give 'em Spell Penetration (there are a lot of creatures with spell resistance in the Outer Planes)?

Metamagic feats are much more useful for a Tso leader, who can apply them to Collaborative Spells.

Hmm, maybe we could add a "sample Tso leader" to this conversion?

freyar

Spell Penetration is fine and is close enough to metamagic for me. ;)

Rather than stat up a whole leader (and get into the issue of whether to list the CR separately, etc), we could just give an underbar (or comment in flavor) about the likely level of a leader, feat selection, etc.

Remove ads