Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings

Cleon

Legend
OK, I'll go along with that.

Now, about the casting time. I don't think Quicken Spell should be able to allow casting of any spell faster than a full-round action due to usual spontaneous metamagic rules. So I'd either drop the whole column about using Quicken Spell or else modify the first few lines.

So would you be OK if it just maxes out at Full Round for collaboratively casting a standard spell with Quicken spell?

e.g.:

Table: Collaborative Spell Casting Time
Original Spell's Casting TimeCollaborative Spell's Casting TimeCollaborative Casting Time with Quicken Spell
ImmediateStandard actionSwift action
SwiftFull roundStandard action
Standard1 round per spell levelFull round
Full Round1 minuteCannot be Quickened
More than 1 roundMultiply casting time by 10Cannot be Quickened

Cleon

Legend
I was wondering whether the immediate action spells should also be "Cannot be cast" either Collaboratively or Quicken-Collaboratively, but I think I'd rather leave 'em in.

It's not like there are that many Immediate spells, nor would allowing an occasional collaborative feather fall be that beyond the pale.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I think you didn't follow my meaning. I think Quickened spells should take a minimum of 1 full round to cast, since applying a metamagic feat to a spontaneously cast spell increases its casting time to 1 full round. But I think it's probably simplest just to drop the whole "Casting Time with Quicken Spell" column and say that they can't be quickened at all, which is also consistent with spontaneous metamagic.

Cleon

Legend
I think you didn't follow my meaning. I think Quickened spells should take a minimum of 1 full round to cast, since applying a metamagic feat to a spontaneously cast spell increases its casting time to 1 full round. But I think it's probably simplest just to drop the whole "Casting Time with Quicken Spell" column and say that they can't be quickened at all, which is also consistent with spontaneous metamagic.

Oh, so would you rather have something like this then?:

Table: Collaborative Spell Casting Time
Original Spell's Casting TimeCollaborative Spell's Casting TimeCollaborative Casting Time with Quicken Spell
ImmediateStandard actionCannot be Quickened
SwiftFull roundCannot be Quickened
Standard1 round per spell level
Full round
Full Round1 minute1 round per spell level
More than 1 roundMultiply casting time by 102 rounds per spell level

I'm not much bothered about it following normal rules for sorcerer metamagic, because the original text says their collaborative spell casting uses different principles than regular magic which the Tso keep secret.

freyar

I think it's ok.

Let's work out those spells. What do you say to Touch of Idiocy at 2nd level? It would make Enslave more effective. Otherwise, I'd think they might go for something protective like Resist Energy or Protection from Arrows.

Cleon

Legend
I think it's ok.

Let's work out those spells. What do you say to Touch of Idiocy at 2nd level? It would make Enslave more effective. Otherwise, I'd think they might go for something protective like Resist Energy or Protection from Arrows.

In many respects, eagle's splendor is a far better pick for enhancing Enslave.

• The average -2 on Will save from touch of idiocy is the same as the +2 Enslave DC from eagle's splendor.
  • The +2 bonus from eagle's splendor also applies to all the Tso's spell DCs and Charisma skills.
  • The Tso doesn't need to make a touch attack with eagle's splendor. Tso are cowardly, so they would avoid melee when they can. That's what slaves are for.
  • That touch is an attack, so its targets will know they're under threat. A Tso can eagle's splendor before approaching "new friends" and use Enslave surreptitiously.
  • The advantage it gets from touch of idiocy only applies against a single living creature, the eagle's splendor bonus is to all Charisma-based rolls the Tso makes.

The only real benefit is that touch of idiocy lasts a lot longer - but the 4 minutes an average Tso's eagle's splendor lasts should be plenty for most of its purposes.

Cleon

Legend

Of the second choice, I'd prefer resist energy to protection from arrows.

freyar

You make a good case for eagle's splendor at 2nd level.

Summon monster I, hypnotism, and enlarge person (for martial type slaves) seem appropriate at 1st level. What do you think?

By the way, I think we should drop the Wizard spells prepared section, since we went with innate Sorcerer casting. And the listing should be "Typical Sorcerer Spells Known," as opposed to "Prepared." ;)

Remove ads