Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
There's one in the proposed flavor text and also in the italicized descriptive text in the working draft.

Cleon

Legend
There's one in the proposed flavor text and also in the italicized descriptive text in the working draft.

Oh right, in that case how's this?

A bizarre
fusion of equine and arachnid, the creature has a horse-like body supported on eight legs - four normal-looking horse legs and four spider legs. It has an equine head with venom-dripping fangs, and a spider's spinnerets on its tail end.

Spider-destriers are an unnatural hybrid of warhorse and monstrous spider. Their origins are attributed to priestesses of Lolth, and they are favored mounts in many drow communities.

Herds of spider-destriers roam large subterranean web pastures, where the webs of spiders have accumulated over centuries. In the wild, their social organization is identical to that of horses.

Spider-destriers are carnivorous, preying primarily on small subterranean herbivores. If food grows scarce, spider-destriers are known to devour their own weak and young.

In Dragonlance
In the Dragonlance campaign setting, spider-destriers dwell in the demiplane known as the Deathdark, where Jiathuli, Queen of the drow, was exiled.

Cleon

Legend
Agreed. Finalize your Working Draft, and I'll transfer it to Homebrews.

Finalisation Complete.

The Spider-Destrier was missing a length, height and weight. I set height & weight to 66 inches and 1750 pounds - a reasonable weight for a large horse like a Percheron.

It's 2½ times heavier than the Phase spider (8' long and 700 pounds), which would scale up to 10'10". I thought about making it "10 or 12 feet in length", but I thought it made more sense to round it down to 10 ft., since war horses are heavily built.

The Initiative didn't include its Improved Initiative feat.

Oh, and I fixed a bunch of "spider destriers" that were missing the hyphen.

Remove ads