• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleon

Legend
Building a Rockworm

Bi-Nou, Rockworm
Medium Aberration (Earth)
Hit Dice: 5d8+15 (37 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 22 (+2 Dex, +10 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+75
Attack: Claw +8 melee (1d8+4)
Full Attack: 2 claws +8 melee (1d8+4)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Dig
Special Qualities: Blind, blindsight 120 ft., deaf, immunity to mind-affection spells and abilities, scent, spell resistance 8, spell vulnerabilities
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +7
Abilities: Str 19, Dex 15, Con 17, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 12
Skills: Move Silently +10, Survival +3* (+7 to track by scent)
Feats: Great Fortitude, Track (B), Weapon Focus (claw)
Environment: Underground
Organization: Solitary or pair (2)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: Standard goods (special - see below)
Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
Advancement: 6-10 HD (Medium); 11-15 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: —

What appeared to be a fallen stalagmite is actually a wormlike creature with two short, jagged arms ending in spiky claws.

Description (gemlike eggs)

COMBAT

Tactics (crawl in pursuit)

Blind (Ex) A rockworm is immune to gaze attacks, visual effects, illusions, and other attack forms that rely on sight.

Deaf (Ex): A rockworm is completely incapable of perceiving sound, and is thus immune to language-dependent effects and sonic effects dependent on hearing. The creature has adapted to this limitation and thus suffers no penalty on initiative checks because of its deafness.

Dig (Su): Once per day, a rockworm can supernaturally dig through the earth. This functions as a move earth spell, with the following differences. Each round that the rockworm maintains concentration, it can move a 10-foot cube of earth, and it may maintain concentration for as many rounds as its Hit Dice. Unlike the move earth spell, the rockworm's dig ability may form tunnels. Caster level 10th. This is the equivalent of an 3rd-level spell.

Spell Vulnerabilities (Ex): Certain spells and effects function differently against a rockworm, as noted below.

A passwall spell stuns a rockwormfor 1d4 rounds.

A transmute rock to mud spell slays a rockworm instantly.

A stone shape spell fully heals a rockworm.

Skills: *A rockworm has a +4 racial bonus on Survival checks to track by scent.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
According to their description rockworms don't ambush victims, they chase prey until they overtake them.

That implies they have some means of following a trail.

Should we give them Scent and Track as a bonus feat, with a racial bonus on tracking by scent?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'm not seeing Scent, but Track as a bonus feat is good. They can track with blindsight, right?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Not really. With blindsight, they have to be within a specific area, else they can't sense them at all. I think that means Scent should be added.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Blindsight can't see the tracks? I guess that's fair if you can't read with it. In that case, let's go for Scent.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated Bi-nou.

Added Rockworm.

Note that they have 7 HD, not 5 like the bi-nou.

Despite the original writeup, I'm not convinced we should drop the improved grab and constrict, considering they have the same appendages and attack routines.

Also, if we drop the telepathy, they will lack all ability to communicate. With Int 6, I think that may be a bit extreme.

Cleon

Legend
Updated Bi-nou.

Added Rockworm.

Note that they have 7 HD, not 5 like the bi-nou.

Gah! How did I not change them to HD 7, I thought I'd gone through the original stats pretty carefully.

Despite the original writeup, I'm not convinced we should drop the improved grab and constrict, considering they have the same appendages and attack routines.

Also, if we drop the telepathy, they will lack all ability to communicate. With Int 6, I think that may be a bit extreme.

Well I tend to prefer to stick with the Rockworm's original description, which lacks the said SA and SQ.

Their jagged arms could easily be articulated differently than the Bi-nou's, since they're crawling creatures that use their limbs to help move themselves.

As for their lack of communication ability, they can still "see" each other with blindsight, so they could easily use a combination of sign-language and vibration to communicate, plus maybe use pheromones, now we've given them scent.

Still, I won't stand in your way if you insist on including them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads