• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Let's keep all that. The upcoming rocklords should be a better fit for your more primal method of communication. ;)

Updated.

Skills: 10 ranks

Feats: Great Fortitude, Track (B), Weapon Focus (claw), 1 more

Challenge Rating: x

Advancement: 8-10 HD (Medium); 11-21 HD (Large)?

Cleon

Legend
Let's keep all that. The upcoming rocklords should be a better fit for your more primal method of communication. ;)

Very well.:.-(

Skills: 10 ranks

Split between Climb and Move Silently?

Feats: Great Fortitude, Track (B), Weapon Focus (claw), 1 more

I can't think of any other interesting feat that suits them, just the boring usual suspects (Lightning Reflexes, Power Attack etc).

How about just making Track a regular feat instead of a bonus one.

Challenge Rating: x

I was going to go for CR4 but adding the Constrict and Improved Grab probably edges them over the border into CR5. They are tougher combatants than a Bi-Nou.

Advancement: 8-10 HD (Medium); 11-21 HD (Large)?

That looks fine to me.

Shade

Monster Junkie
It looks like we've finished the rockworm. Here's the last of the bi-nou...

Bi-Nou, Rocklord
CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Subterranean
FREQUENCY: Very rare
ORGANIZATION: Solitary
ACTIVITY CYCLE: Any
DIET: Carnivore
INTELLIGENCE: Semi- (2-4)
TREASURE: Special (hide)
ALIGNMENT: Neutral
NO. APPEARING: 1
ARMOR CLASS: -4
MOVEMENT: 6
HIT DICE: 10
THAC0: 11
NO. OF ATTACKS: 2
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 3d6/3d6
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Nil
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Nil
MAGIC RESISTANCE: 30%
SIZE: L (8’-15’ long)
MORALE: Champion (15)
LEVEL/XP VALUE: 5,000

More massive than rockworms, the “lords of stone,” as many call them, are deadly foes because of the massive amount of damage their stony appendages can deliver. Appearing as a stalagmite with larger limbs than a common bi-nou, these creatures can move upright or slither across the floor. Their thick hides make them very difficult to injure. Some sages believe rocklords are simply very old rockworms. They do not lay eggs and they do not associate with others of their kind. However, unlike rockworms, the lords do not battle over possession of a cavern. The hides of these great, craggy creatures are especially prized by underground races who mount war bands to destroy the beasts. The war bands are careful how they attack the lords, as they do not want to overly damage the hide. These are used to construct special buildings meant to keep others out. These rock lord hides are stronger and can withstand more weight and damage than those of rockworms or common bi-nou.

It is rumored that certain proficient dwarven weaponsmiths can create special maces from the skins of rocklords. The smiths claim these weapons are naturally +1 to hit and +3 to damage because of the density of the weapon and the magical properties of the rocklord. However, it takes three times as long to craft one of these weapons as a normal weapon.

Cleon

Legend
Me too. That feat is woefully underused.

Back to skills for a minute...shouldn't we give them Survival ranks, since they track prey?

Updated with Climb 2, Move Silently 3, Survival 5?

Look OK?

If they get a racial bonus on track by scent I don't think they need that many ranks in Survival, which is why I suggested Climb 5, Move Silently 5 for:

Skills: Climb +9, Hide +2* (+6 rocky, +10 immobile rock), Move Silently +7, Survival +3* (+7 track by scent).

That looks better to me, although I wouldn't mind switching a point from MS to Survival, so both its stealth skills are +6 in rocky terrain:

Skills: Climb +9, Hide +2* (+6 rocky, +10 immobile rock), Move Silently +6, Survival +4* (+8 track by scent).

Cleon

Legend
It looks like we've finished the rockworm. Here's the last of the bi-nou...

Bi-Nou, Rocklord

If we just Advanced a Rockworm to Large and dropped its Intelligence a few points it would be a pretty good fit for a Rocklord, except the latter's SR is a little better.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That summary seems almost right. I hope we can do better, though! I was just thinking that maybe we can do something with the slithering plus standing. 10 ft reach, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads