• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Greyhawk monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Yeah, I'd go for CR 1/3.

We also need to add Bravery in Numbers to the SQ in the characters section.

Any description or flavor different than a standard kobold?

Cleon

Legend
Yeah, I'd go for CR 1/3.

We also need to add Bravery in Numbers to the SQ in the characters section.

Any description or flavor different than a standard kobold?

Say they're a recent magical hybrid?

Rumors they still serve the mad mage who created them, who sometimes sends horrible fiends to assist them?

Tendency to loiter around crypts and tombs?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
All those would work. Hmmmm...

"These appear to be garden-variety kobolds, but they move with an unusual unity of purpose."

Crypt kobolds are a recent magical alteration, bred by an unknown and perhaps unbalanced wizard who experimented on the hapless humanoids. While some have escaped his service, they are most comfortable frequenting underground crypts and tombs, such as the one they were created to guard. And those still loyal to their creator may receive aid against invaders in the form of summoned fiends.

As usual, that can probably be touched up a bit.

Cleon

Legend
All those would work. Hmmmm...

"These appear to be garden-variety kobolds, but they move with an unusual unity of purpose."

Crypt kobolds are a recent magical alteration, bred by an unknown and perhaps unbalanced wizard who experimented on the hapless humanoids. While some have escaped his service, they are most comfortable frequenting underground crypts and tombs, such as the one they were created to guard. And those still loyal to their creator may receive aid against invaders in the form of summoned fiends.

As usual, that can probably be touched up a bit.

Don't care for the "move with an unusual unity of purpose" bit, I think I'd rather describe them as regular kobolds, I'd go for the rusty black" variety. I think we'd be better off removing the "recent" too, so we don't tie it to a particular time.

A short, reptilian humanoid with short horns on its head and a tail. It has scaly skin of a rusty black color and glowing red eyes. The creature is dressed in ragged red clothes and blackened armor, it carries a warhammer and a handaxe.

Crypt kobolds were magically bred from ordinary kobolds by an unknown and perhaps unbalanced wizard, who experimented on the hapless humanoids. While some have escaped his service, they are most comfortable frequenting underground crypts and tombs, such as the one they were created to guard. Those still loyal to their creator may receive aid against invaders in the form of summoned fiends.

Remove ads