• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Greyhawk monsters

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm not sure about the "Challenge Rating: Kobolds with levels in NPC classes have a CR equal to their character level –3" bit. Is a 4th level Crypt Kobold Warrior or Adept really only CR 1?

Level -2 would seem more appropriate.

It still works that way, but it never is listed that way in monster entries (at least, none that I can recall seeing). It simply lists the CR for the sample warrior in the stat block. I suppose we can explicitly note that somewhere in the flavor text if you think DMs might be confused.

Cleon

Legend
It still works that way, but it never is listed that way in monster entries (at least, none that I can recall seeing). It simply lists the CR for the sample warrior in the stat block. I suppose we can explicitly note that somewhere in the flavor text if you think DMs might be confused.

I'd rather cut the "Challenge Rating: Kobolds with levels in NPC classes have a CR equal to their character level –3" bit out entirely.

On a related topic, should the Level Adjustment still be +0? Regeneration is very useful to PCs. I'd think at least LA +1 or +2.

Cleon

Legend
Let's replace them with something more subterranean and/or some undead.

Agreed. If we keep the CR at 2 like the Dire Weasel, the SRD gives us a choice of...

Chokers or Scum?

Neither of those seem to be any use. Well, the Crypt Kobolds are a rung up the nastiness ladder compared to the regular variety, so let's try CR 3 Underground monsters, which are...

Derro, Ethereal Filcher, Gelatinous Cube, Grick, Phantom Fungus, Violet Fungus and Rust Monster.

If we cut out the mindless ones (Cube and Violet Fungus) and those too intelligent to be "attack beasts" (Derro and Ethereal Filcher) that leaves the Grick, Rust Monster and Phantom Fungus.

All those would make could "pets" for the Crypt Kobold. I've seen some scenarios with small humanoids siccing Rust Monsters on their foes, but it is a nasty tactic that I would rather reserve for special occasions rather than have all Crypt Kobolds use it. Besides, Rust Monsters wouldn't be of any help against foes which don't use metal.

A Phantom Fungus would seem problematic, since its greater invisibility will work on the Kobolds too. If they put a collar on it to help them direct it into battle, then their enemies will be able to locate their pet too.

So that leaves the Grick. Another reason I lean towards the Grick is that it lives in groups of 1-4, implying it's a bit more social than the other two. Phantom Fungus are always solitary, and Rust Monsters can only form mated pairs, which implies they aren't good with company.

Besides, the Monster Manual illustration of a Grick shows it crawling through what could be a crypt, while the Phantom Fungus's picture seems to show it in a subterranean Fungal Forest.

So, Crypt Kobolds with their pet attack Gricks?

Remove ads