• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Greyhawk monsters

Cleon

Legend
Onco
Climate/Terrain: subtropical to tropical jungle
Frequency: uncommon
Organization: solitary or family
Activity Cycle: day
Diet: herbivore
Intelligence: Semi- (2-4)
Treasure: Nil
Alignment: neutral
No. Appearing: 1d6-1
Armor Class: 6
Movement: 12
Hit Dice: 4
THAC0: 17
No. of Attacks: 1
Damage/Attack: 1d3/1d4/1d4
Special Attacks: Nil
Special Defenses: Nil
Magic Resistance: Nil
Size: M (6’ tall)
Morale: Champion (15)
XP Value:120

The onco is an aggressive mammal closely related to the elephant, though it is about the size of a bear. Its tusks never grow to more than one foot in length. Oncis wander the jungle floor eating plant material and scaring other creatures from their territory.

Combat: An onco fights by striking with its trunk and tusks. Its smaller size allows it to use all three attacks on one opponent; it may also split its attacks among two different targets.

Habitat/Society: Oncos travel in small family units, normally a male and 1d4 females; any onco beyond this are immature young that do not fight. Solitary onco will be love males in search of mates.

Ecology: Onco are too aggressive to make good mounts or beasts of burden. Their tusks are prized for the strength of their ivory, being worth around 100 gp per tusk. They graze the lower jungle, clearing spaces for other large creatures.

Originally appeared in The Scarlet Brotherhood (1999).

Cleon

Legend
Okay, I think we can get most of it be tweaking the conversion we did the the Dwarf Elephant from Dragon #167's Back to the Age of the Mammals.

Give it a half-size increase, an extra HD and a slam attack and I think it's almost there.

Shade

Monster Junkie
That sounds about right. Maybe some more combat-oriented feats, like Reckless Offense and Power Attack? Oh, and Multiattack as a bonus feat?

Thanks for posting it!

Cleon

Legend
That sounds about right. Maybe some more combat-oriented feats, like Reckless Offense and Power Attack? Oh, and Multiattack as a bonus feat?

Thanks for posting it!

That all sounds good. I'll start a Working Draft.

EDIT: Working Draft posted. I made it a Dire Animal, since that seemed appropriate.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Onco Working Draft

Onco
Medium Animal
Hit Dice: 4d8+12 (30 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (+1 Dex, +3 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+7
Attack: Gore +7 melee (1d8+4) or slam +7 melee (1d6+4)
Full Attack: Gore +7 melee (1d8+4) and slam +5 melee (1d6+2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab, pin down, powerful charge
Special Qualities: low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +4
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 7
Skills: Listen +8, Spot +5
Feats: Iron Will, Power Attack, Reckless Offense (B), Multiattack (B)
Environment: Warm forests
Organization: Solitary or family (2–5)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 5-6 HD (Medium), 7-12 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: —

A bear-sized elephant with foot-long tusks as straight and sharp as spearheads.

An onco is a small, aggressive relative of the elephant. Oncos wander the jungles in small family units, normally made up of a single male, 1-4 females, and possibly young. Solitary onco are generally lone males in search of mates. Oncos are herbivorous, grazing on the jungle floor, which clears paths for other big animals.

A typical onco is around 6 feet long, stands 3 to 4 feet at the shoulder and weighs 300 to 500 pounds. A big male can be up to 6 feet tall.

COMBAT
Oncos are highly territorial. They usually try to scare away intruders, but may charge anything they think threatens them. An onco fights by striking with its trunk and tusks. If it hits with its trunk, it often tries to pin its opponent to the ground and run them through with a tusk.

Improved Grab (Ex): If an onco hits an opponent with a slam attack, it deals normal damage and can attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity (grapple bonus +7). If it gets a hold, it can pin down the opponent on its next successful grapple check.

Pin Down (Ex): An onco can make a grapple check against an already grappled opponent in an attempt to pin it down. If successful, the opponent is pinned down beneath the onco's tusks. Pinned opponents take 2d6+6 gore damage each round they are pinned, including the round in which the pin is established.

Powerful Charge (Ex): When an onco charges, its gore attack deals 2d6+6 points of damage.

Skills: Onco have a +4 racial bonus to Listen checks.

Training An Onco
Oncos are so aggressive it is difficult to use them as a mounts or beasts of burden. An onco requires training before it can bear a rider in combat.

Training an onco requires six weeks of work and a DC 25 Handle Animal check.

A newborn onco is worth 500 gp on the open market, while young are worth 800 gp apiece. Professional trainers charge 500 gp to rear or train an onco.

Carrying Capacity
A light load for an onco is up to 150 pounds; a medium load, 151-300 pounds; and a heavy load, 301-450 pounds.

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
I vote "no" on the dire trait. Nothing to me suggests a prehistoric/dire aspect.

I'm OK with Alertness instead of Power Attack.

CR 3 seems appropriate.

Cleon

Legend
I vote "no" on the dire trait. Nothing to me suggests a prehistoric/dire aspect.

I don't mind dropping the Dire, but if we do that I fancy adding Iron Will as a bonus feat. Elephants in 3E tend to have it, and it's an elephant(ish) creature.

CR 3 seems appropriate.

I'm worrying it may be a little weak for CR3. It's certainly a tad less nasty than, say, the CR3 Ogre, who has roughly similar AC and HD but the benefits of a 10 ft. Reach and better attack (+8 vs +7/+5) and damage (average 16 vs 14, assuming hits).

Still, it could easily fit in to low CR 3.

Hmm, how about we give it Power Attack instead of Alertness. That would give it a worthwhile combat boost, especially in concert with Reckless Offense?

We could always give it some racial bonuses or Alertness as a bonus feat if we want to tap up its sense skills.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Go with Iron Will (B), replace Alertness w/Power Attack, and let's just leave 'em with slightly worse perception abilities.

Cleon

Legend
Go with Iron Will (B), replace Alertness w/Power Attack, and let's just leave 'em with slightly worse perception abilities.

I'd make the Reckless Offence the Bonus Feat, since they are described as aggressive creatures.

The sense skills will end up significantly worse, I fear. How about just a racial bonus to Listen. They've got elephant-style ears, after all? ;)

I've updated the Working Draft.

Remove ads