• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Monsters from D&D Official Video Games

Krishnath

First Post
Looks good.

For the energy resistances, how about 10? it's a nice round number, the SR should probably be CR +10. and it's CR should be (by my calculations) somewhere around 10. CR 11 perhaps? or is that to low? It is more powerfull than the average beholder, but has lower armor, so a CR of 13 should be good.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I followed your suggestions, and decided to go with CR 13. I think its definitely on par with a standard beholder, but not a full CR better.

Look it over and see if I missed anything. Otherwise, I think we're ready for the next one.

Krishnath

First Post
Shade said:
I followed your suggestions, and decided to go with CR 13. I think its definitely on par with a standard beholder, but not a full CR better.

Look it over and see if I missed anything. Otherwise, I think we're ready for the next one.
Looks finished. NEXT!

Shade

Monster Junkie
Cool. We're up to the last of the beholderkin. This one is a bit wierd. It lacks eye rays, yet fires "arrows". I'm thinking we can simulate this by having it fire projectiles out of its eyestalks.

From the game:
Str 10, Dex 10, Con 10, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 10
AC 2
40 HP
No resistances

As always, we'll use Krishnath's suggested HD (5d8).

Beholderkin, Eagle Eye
Small Aberration
Hit Dice: 5d8+10 (32 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 5 ft. (1 square), fly 20 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 18 (+1 size, +3 Dex, +4 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/-2
Attack: Bone arrow +7 ranged (1d6/x3) or bite +X melee (1d4-1)
Full Attack: 4 bone arrows +7 ranged (1d6/x3) or bite +X melee (1d4-1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Bone arrows
Special Qualities: All-around vision, darkvision 60 ft., flight
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +5
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 11
Skills: Listen +9, Search +11, Spot +13, and Survival +7
Feats: Alertness (B), Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot
Environment: Cold hills and underground
Organization: Solitary, pair, or cluster (3-6)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually lawful evil
Advancement: 6-10 HD (Medium); 11-15 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: --

A 3-foot wide azure orb floats before you. Its chitonous body has a large central eye and smaller eyes dot its surface. Its mouth is wide and filled with needle-like teeth. Four hollow stalks move about, seeiming to track your movement.

Eagle eyes are mutant beholderkin created by Lycanth the Enlightented, a powerful wizard in the service of the dragon Abazigal. Because eagle eyes are created via experimentation on standard beholderkin, true beholders and their kin will attack them on sight.

An eagle eye is a 3-foot wide orb dominated by a central eye. Four eyestalks sprout from the top of its body. Unlike many beholderkin, its central eye serves no special function.

Eagle eyes speak the language of Beholders and Common.

Combat

Eagle eyes open combat with their bone arrows, and use their flight to stay out of opponents' reach while they continue to fire a volley of these natural projectiles.

All-Around Vision (Ex): Eagle eyes are exceptionally alert and circumspect. Their many eyes give them a +4 racial bonus on Spot and Search checks, and they can't be flanked.

Bone Arrows (Ex): An eagle eye continually produces small bone fragments which it can fire from its hollow stalks. It may fire up to four bone arrows per round.

Flight (Ex): An eagle eye's body is naturally buoyant. This buoyancy allows it to fly at a speed of 20 feet. This buoyancy also grants it a permanent feather fall effect (as the spell) with personal range.

The eagle eye first appeared in the Black Isle computer game Baldurs Gate II: Throne of Bhaal, (2001).

Last edited:

Krishnath

First Post
Let's see...

Str 8, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 11?

Which would give it 32 hp (Yes, I know it is lower than in game, but bare with me. :D) and a natural armor bonus of +4 (AC:18, +1 size, +3 Dex, +4 natural)

As for attacks, we should have Bite as the secondary attack, and Bone arrow as the primary. I think it should be able to fire four of these in a round, what do you think? Or perhaps it should spit globs of acid with its "eye stalks"?

As for it's appearance I suggest it looks like a smaller beholder, with hollow funnels instead of eyestalks. Also make the creatures color a shade of blue, I suggest azure.

Shade

Monster Junkie
That all sounds good. I prefer the bone arrow to the acid. Four arrows a round sounds about right.

Should it lose all-around vision for the lack of eye on the stalks? Or should we throw in a few "standard" eye stalks in addition to the hollow stalks?

I'm fine with azure coloration, but may I ask why? :cool:

Krishnath

First Post
Bone arrows it is then, as for the color, I just thought a blue beholder-kin would be cool. :p

And for the all-around vision, just dot the creatures body with eyes, should be a sufficient explenation.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Sounds good to me. I updated the statistics.

Is the description what you had in mind?

Should we limit it to the rate it can produce bone arrows, similar to the breath weapon recharage interval for dragons?

For feats, how about Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot?

Remove ads