• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Monsters from D&D Official Video Games

Shade

Monster Junkie
It is very logical. Quite frankly, I believe that many more subtypes should exist. I think Shadow should be a subtype, as well as Positive and Negative, which might explain how the xeg-ya and xeg-yi exist on their respective planes. :)

Since Electricity isn't a current subtype, let's just go with Magical Beast (Extraplanar) for now. I like the idea of vulnerability to acid, though.

Here's a starting stat block:

Electric Spider
Large Magical Beast (Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 5d10+15 (42 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), climb 20 ft.
AC: 16 (–1 size, +3 Dex, +4 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+12
Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d8+4 plus 2d6 electricity)
Full Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d8+4 plus 2d6 electricity)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Breath weapon, shock
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., immunity to electricity, low-light vision, vulnerability to acid
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +2
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 16, Con 17, Int 5, Wis 13, Cha 10
Skills: Climb +11, Hide -1, Listen +5, Move Silently +7
Feats: Ability Focus (breath weapon), Improved Initiative
Environment: Infinite Layers of the Abyss
Organization: Solitary, pair, or pack (5-8)
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 6–8 HD (Large); 9–15 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: -

This large blue arachnid has a thick abdomen and pulses with electricity.

Electric spiders can be found throughout Kalistes' domain.

A typical electric spider’s body is 8 feet long. It weighs about 800 pounds.

Electric spiders cannot speak.

COMBAT

Electric spiders favor narrow confines where they can catch multiple victims with their breath weapons.

Breath Weapon (Su): The electric spider has one type of breath weapon, a 60 ft. line of electricity that deals 5d6 points of damage. A reflex save (DC 17) halves the damage. The save DC is Consitution-based.

Shock (Ex): An electric spider's bite attack deals piercing damage plus 2d6 electricity damage from the spider's shocking body. Creatures hitting an electric spider with natural weapons or unarmed attacks take electricity damage as though hit by the spider's attack.

Skills: An electric spider has a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened.

The electric spider first appeared in the SSI computer game Pools of Darkness, (1991).

Last edited:

Krishnath

First Post
As for the breathweapon, I suggest it works like a lightning bolt.

Like this:

Breathweapon (Su): The electric spider has one type of breathweapon, a 60' line of electricity that deals 5d6 points of damage. A reflex save (DC X) halves the damage.

Sound good?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm thinking of the following ability scores:

Str 17, Dex 16, Con 17, Int 5, Wis 13, Cha 10

I based these on the phase spider, making it slightly less agile but more hearty, based on the original artwork which showed it as more of a squat, thick spider.

Any thoughts?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I updated the stat block above to account for the stats. I was also thinking of adding the following:

Shock (Ex): An electric spider's bite attack deals piercing damage plus 2d6 electricity damage from the spider's shocking body. Creatures hitting an electric spider with natural weapons or unarmed attacks take electricity damage as though hit by the spider's attack.

What do you think?

Shade

Monster Junkie
For skills, I was thinking Listen (4), Move Silently (4), and because of its climb speed...

Skills: An electric spider has a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened.

Feats: Ability Focus (breath weapon), Improved Initiative?

Any thoughts on the organization?

Remove ads