• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Monsters from D&D Official Video Games

Shade

Monster Junkie
Kartang
CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Subterranean or Jungle
FREQUENCY: Uncommon
ORGANIZATION: Tribal
ACTIVITY CYCLE: Any
DIET: Carnivorous
INTELLIGENCE: Low to Exceptional (5–16)
TREASURE: D
ALIGNMENT: Chaotic Evil
NO. APPEARING: 4–20
ARMOR CLASS: -6
MOVEMENT: 12
HIT DICE: 14, 16, or 18
THACØ: 14 Hit Dice: 9
16 Hit Dice: 7
18 Hit Dice: 5
NO. OF ATTACKS: 1
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 2–16, swallow/engulf
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Swallow, engulf
SPECIAL DEFENSES: See below
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Nil
SIZE: L
MORALE: Fanatic (17)
XP VALUE: 9,000

Appearance: Most who are born of kartang look and act like typical giant constrictors. Occasionally, however, a young snake will show signs that it is sentient. These kartang are often mistaken for elder serpents.

Combat: Since the kartang look identical to giant constrictors, in combat they attack with their brethren and hide themselves in the masses so that opponents do not single them out. They bite for 2–16 points of damage and grab their victims in their coils, like constrictors. Full kartang have ironlike skin. All take half damage from fire, cold, and electricity due to their magical nature. The dual sentient-animal nature of the kartang makes it resistant to charm, sleep, and hold spells.

Habitat/Society: The kartang are interested in increasing the number of sentient kartang on Athas. They are very protective of their eggs and their young. Kartang do not value treasure, but horde it to tempt other beings who might be edible. The kartang believe that the young who are fed sentient beings will have a better chance of becoming sentient themselves. Often times a kartang who is the sole sentient being in its community will talk to adventurers out of unimaginable boredom. It may offer riches or power to lure players into negotiating with it. The kartang’s final goal, however, is always to kill the adventurers.

Ecology: The kartang are a race of giant snakes which arose from the magical disaster that swept Athas. They are carnivorous, preferring young birds and human flesh. Some larger groups have been known to herd and raise wingless birds or other warm-blooded creatures.

Originally appeared in Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager PC game rule book

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Magical beast, then. Do you want to start with the highest number of HD or with 14 HD? They don't seem to gain much in the way of abilities as they advance?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'd say lowest, for the reasons you suggested.

A giant constrictor snake (Huge) has the following ability scores:

Str 25, Dex 17, Con 13, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 2

I'd say these things should be Huge, too.

freyar

I'd take these physical stats and Wis, up Cha to 12 (or as low as 8), and put Int around 10 (somewhere in the middle of the given range). So maybe Str 25, Dex 17, Con 13, Int 11, Wis 12, Cha 10?

freyar

Ok, it looks like bite damage is 2d8+1-1/2 Str, though we could go lower. (These don't seem terribly tough for 14HD, though, so maybe it's better to keep this large amount.) Also improved grab and constrict (huge constrictor snakes do 1d8+1-1/2 Str).

All take half damage from fire, cold, and electricity due to their magical nature. The dual sentient-animal nature of the kartang makes it resistant to charm, sleep, and hold spells.

Resistance 10 to fire, cold, and electricity?
+2 racial bonus to saves vs charms & compulsions?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I agree to the high bite damage and the resistances. The saving throws seem to be broader than just charms and compulsions--it mentions Hold and Sleep. I'd say give it Iron Will as a bonus feat, like we did for the utahraptor.

Demiurge out.

freyar

demiurge1138 said:
I agree to the high bite damage and the resistances. The saving throws seem to be broader than just charms and compulsions--it mentions Hold and Sleep. I'd say give it Iron Will as a bonus feat, like we did for the utahraptor.

Demiurge out.
Hold and sleep are both compulsions, actually, so the +2 vs charms and compulsions is a bit broader than the original. However, I wouldn't mind at all going to +4 or even higher to make these a little more special.

These are looking pretty good already. How about an additional racial bonus (+12?) to Disguise checks when trying to appear as a unintelligent constrictor snake?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
freyar said:
Hold and sleep are both compulsions, actually, so the +2 vs charms and compulsions is a bit broader than the original. However, I wouldn't mind at all going to +4 or even higher to make these a little more special.

These are looking pretty good already. How about an additional racial bonus (+12?) to Disguise checks when trying to appear as a unintelligent constrictor snake?
Well I'll be hornswaggled. Hold and sleep are compulsions. I'd be fine with a +4 on saves vs. c&c. The Disguise boost also sounds good to me.

Demiurge out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads