• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Monsters from D&D Official Video Games

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated. Now we need to pick feats and skills. I think Ability Focus (breath weapon) is a no-brainer, but the other one is up for grabs.

For skills, I'm thinking of some combination of Hide, Listen, and Spot.

Should its climb and swim speeds be the same as its base land speed (like all the snakes in the MM)?

Shade

Monster Junkie
OK, this one's about finished. We still need length, weight, and CR. Also, I was thinking of giving it a bonus to Hide checks in snowy environments. Any thoughts?

Krishnath

First Post
Sounds good, how about a +8 racial bonus to Hide checks in snowy enviroments?

As for the CR 2 or 3, I'm partial to CR 3 as the breathweapon deals quite a bit of damage on a good roll.

Shade

Monster Junkie
That all sounds good. Does 12 foot long and 400 lbs. sound reasonable? I'm having a difficult time finding comparable creatures, since the MM snakes don't list their lengths and weights.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Moving on to the next one...

Pyro Snake
AC:5 HD:4 Mv:15 Int: Animal Size: L
Align: N THAC0/:17 Att:1 Dmg:1d3
Spec Att: Fire breath
Spec Def: Immunity to fire XP:420

This breed of snakes prefers to live in desolate deserts or inside
volcanoes. There they form loose family associations. Dealing rarely
with humans, they consider people to be another form of prey. Their
breath is identical to that of a red dragon.

Pyro Snake
Large Magical Beast (Fire)
Hit Dice: 4d10+8 (30 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), climb 40 ft., swim 40 ft.
AC: 15 (–1 size, +3 Dex, +3 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+11
Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d4+3)
Full Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d4+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Breath weapon, constrict, improved grab
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., immunity to fire, low-light vision, vulnerability to cold
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +7, Will +2
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 17, Con 15, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 2
Skills: Balance +11, Climb +10, Hide +6, Listen +7, Spot +7
Feats: Ability Focus (breath weapon), Improved Initiative
Environment: Warm deserts
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 4–8 HD (Large); 9–12 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: -

This large serpent's scales range from dark red to orange on its underbelly. Shimmering heat radiates from its entire length. Licks of flame appear around its forked tongue, which darts out of a fanged mouth..

This breed of snakes prefers to live in desolate deserts or inside volcanoes. There they form loose family associations. Dealing rarely with humans, they consider people to be another form of prey.

A typical pyro snake is 12 feet long. It weighs about 200 pounds.

Pyro snakes cannot speak.

COMBAT

A pyro snake often swims through magma or races across desert sands, opening combat with its breath weapon to catch as many foes as possible.

Breath Weapon (Su): Breath Weapon (Su): 30-foot cone, every 1d4 rounds, 4d6 fire, Reflex DC 16 half. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Constrict (Ex): On a successful grapple check, a pyro snake deals 1d4+2 points of damage.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a pyro snake must hit with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.

Skills: Snakes have a +4 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, and Spot checks and a +8 racial bonus on Balance and Climb checks. A snake can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened. Snakes use either their Strength modifier or Dexterity modifier for Climb checks, whichever is higher. A snake has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

The pyro snake first appeared in the SSI computer game Pools of Darkness, (1991).

This should go pretty fast, as it is basically the opposite of the cryo snake.

Thoughts:
  • Should we stick with Improved Initiative as the second feat?
  • For skills, should we go with Hide, Listen, and Spot again?
  • Should the physical ability scores differ from the cryo snake (Str 14, Dex 17, Con 15)?

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
These next ones are going to be a bit more challenging.

Also from Pools of Darkness:

Bane Minion, Black
AC:4 HD:8 Mv:15 Int: High Size:L
Align: CE THAC0/:13 Att:3
Dmg: 1d4/1d4/1d6
Spec Att: Acid breath, magic
Spec Def: See below XP:3000
Bane created three types of servants to serve his lieutenant, Gothmenes. The black minions can breath a stream of acid identical to a black dragon. They can see invisible objects and can cast the following spells once per day: cone of cold, hold monsters, ice storm, bestow curse, slow, and fumble. They are immune to fear, poison, death effects, and charm.

Now, the first thing we have to deal with is alignment. In the game, these creatures were Chaotic Evil. They serve Gothmenes, a balor (CE). However, Bane is, and to my knowledge always has been, Lawful Evil. Thus, he really shouldn't have CE minions and demonic servants (he also had a marilith and glabrezu serving him as lieutenants).

So, should we keep them Bane Minions and make them Lawful or Neutral Evil, or make them minions of some CE god and change their name? Or leave them as CE, despite the alignment conflict with their master? I think I'd prefer to make 'em LE or NE to put them more in line with Bane.

Remove ads