• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Monsters from D&D Official Video Games

Krishnath

First Post
Hmm, let's see.

EOB1: No new monsters
EOB2: Uh, Um, there was a miniature frost giant that was half plant, but he wasn't really a monster.
EOB3: Quite possibly, but I have no idea what they where called.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Krishnath said:
EOB2: Uh, Um, there was a miniature frost giant that was half plant, but he wasn't really a monster.
That sounds more like something for Demiurge's MST3K thread. :lol:

Thanks for the info. I'll have to give 'em a try one of these days.

Krishnath

First Post
Shade said:
That sounds more like something for Demiurge's MST3K thread. :lol:

Thanks for the info. I'll have to give 'em a try one of these days.
You'll love the first two, the third one (Assault on Myth Drannor) is blah, but it has it's moments (the mausoleum in the graveyard rocks!). The thrid part of the trilogy (and the last tower in Legend of Darkmoon) are very bad compared to the rest of the trilogy mostly because they where made without Westwood Studioes. TSR suffered from hubris and where control freaks, which caused Westwood to pull out of the project, instead Creating Lands of Lore.

If you haven't played Lands of Lore, it is what Assault on Myth Drannor would have been like if TSR hadn't been a bunch of nitpicking nazies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Sounds like fun. I'll have to look for Lands of Lore as well.

I think this guy is finished. I updated him and filled in some of the blanks. Let me know if anything's missing. If not, it's on to the next one.

Shade

Monster Junkie
As you wishhhhh.......

Bane Minion, Blue
AC:2 HD:10 Mv:24 Int: High
Size:L Align: CE THAC0/:11 Att:3
Dmg: 1d6/1d6/2d6 Spec Att: lightning breath, lightning aura
Spec Def: See below XP: 4000

Like the black bane minions, these creatures were created by Bane to serve Gothmenes. They can breathe a lightning bolt identical to a blue dragon.
They radiate electricity, so anyone who strikes them takes double damage in return. Like black minions, they can see invisible objects and are immune to fear,poison, death effects, and charm.

Bane Minion, Blue
Large Outsider (Extraplanar, Evil, Lawful)
Hit Dice: 10d8+40 (85 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 60 ft. (10 squares), fly 60 ft. (average)
AC: 18 (–1 size, +4 Dex, +5 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+20
Attack: Claw +15 melee (1d6+6)
Full Attack: 2 claws +15 melee (1d6+6) and bite +10 melee (2d6+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Breath weapon, electrical aura, fumble, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/good, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to charms, death effects, electricity, fear, and poison
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +11, Will +10
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 19, Con 19, Int 14, Wis 17, Cha 16
Skills: Bluff +14, Concentration +15, Diplomacy +14, Hide +11, Intimidate +16, Knowledge (the planes) +14, Knowledge (religion) +14, Listen +14, Move Silently +15, Search +13, Sense Motive +14, Spot +14
Feats: Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Power Attack
Environment: The Barrens of Doom and Despair (Infernal Battlefields of Acheron)
Organization: Solitary, pair, or squad (3-20)
Challenge Rating: 8
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always lawful evil
Advancement: 11–19 HD (Large); 20–30 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: +6

This creature stands nearly 11 feet tall, with a vaguely humanoid shape. Its body appears slightly draconic, and it is covered in blue scales. It has batlike wings that it wraps around its body like a cloak when furled. Its serpentine tail ends in a hammerlike mass of bone.

Bane created three types of servants to serve his lieutenant, Gothmenes. These bane minions come in black, blue, and red varieties.

A blue bane minion is 11 feet tall and weighs about 1,000 pounds.

Bane minions speak Infernal, Common and Draconic.

Combat

A blue bane minion opens with its breath weapon, then uses its spell-like abilities to great effect.

A bane minon's natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as lawful-aligned and evil-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Breath Weapon (Su): 60-foot line of electricity, once every 1d4 rounds, damage 8d8 electricity, Reflex DC 19 half. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Electrical Aura (Ex): A creature hitting a blue bane minion with a melee attack takes 2d6 points of electricity damage (Reflex DC 19 half). If the creature is using a weapon that is mostly metallic (such as a sword, but not a wood-hafted axe), it is not allowed a saving throw. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Fumble (Sp): Once per day, a bane minion can create a 30-foot cube in which all creatures suddenly become clumsy and awkward. This cube lasts for 8 rounds. Creatures in the area must make a DC 17 Will save each round. Success means that the creature is unaffected that round, but a new save must be made again in the next round unless it leaves the area. Affected creatures who take a double move or are charging fall prone. Creatures drop all held items, and cannot pick up objects. Alternatively, the spell can be cast at an individual creature. The creature must make a DC 17 Will save or be affected for the spell's entire duration (10 rounds); success means the creature is slowed (as the spell) for 10 rounds. This is a mind-affecting, enchantment effect. Caster level 10th. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day—bestow curse (DC 17), cone of cold (DC 18), hold monster (DC 18), ice storm, slow (DC 16). Caster level 10th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

See Invisibility (Su): A blue bane minion continuously uses this ability, as the spell (caster level 10th).

The blue bane minion first appeared in the SSI computer game Pools of Darkness, (1991).

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
For stats, I'm thinking Str 23, Dex 19, Con 19, Int 13, Wis 17, Cha 16.

Breath weapon 8d8 electricity?

Caster level 10th?

Fly speed to 60 ft.?

DR 10/good? (This would be comparable to 10-HD devils).

They radiate electricity, so anyone who strikes them takes double damage in return.
Should we change this to a fixed amount of electricity damage? Maybe do additional damage to those wielding metal weapons?

Krishnath

First Post
All of it sounds good. Electricity damage should be 2d6 points of electricity damage to anyone that hit's the minion with a melee weapon, reflex save halves the damage. No save allowed if the weapon is mostly metallic.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Good suggestion on the aura. It has been updated to reflect all this. I also gave it immunity to electricity (seemed like a no-brainer). Here's what we still need:

Skills: Same as the black (adding 2 ranks for the additional Hit Dice), and spread the additional 13 ranks to beef up those that aren't maxxed out?

Feats: Same as the black (Cleave, Improved Initiative, Power Attack) but add one more? If so, how about Ability Focus (electrical aura)?

Challenge Rating?

Weight: 1,000 lbs.?

Last edited:

Krishnath

First Post
Skills: Sound good.

Feats: You're falling into the Ability Focus trap again, I suggest Combat Relfexes to make use of it's high Dex.

CR 7 or 8 is about right.

Weight is good.

Remove ads