Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

Cleon

Legend
We can use a Medium magma paraelemental's stats for inspiration:

Str 21, Dex 8, Con 17, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 11

I feel the SRD's Average Salamander is a bit better match than a paramental:

Average Salamander:
Str 14, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 15, Cha 13, +7 NA

Infernites are smarter (Int 8-10), and it seems like they shouldn't have a Dex penalty (and maybe a slight bonus due to their fluidity).

So maybe Str 21, Dex 12, Con 17, Int 9, Wis 11, Cha 11?

I'm not sure if they should have a better Dex; they may be fluid but does that make them nimble?

Considering "Magma Missiles" are a favoured attacks I would think they'd have a reasonable score in Dexterity, the controlling ability for ranged attacks.

There's no mention of a Strength damage in the original stats, their swords do the standard 1d8 plus plus 2d6 fire, so I would like to reduce the Strength.

8-10 is average human Intelligence in AD&D, so I'd like the 3E version to be Int 10-11.

So, I prefer something like:

Infernite: Str 14, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 11, +6 NA

Shade

Monster Junkie
Those ability scores look fine.

Added to Homebrews.

For inspiration, we can look here:

Magma Rock (Ex): A magma hurler can spit forth a ball of molten rock into its hand as a move action, as often as once per round. It can throw a magma rock with a range increment of 30 feet (maximum range 150 feet).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Shouldn't heat mention how much fire damage it does on a grapple check or if touched?

I like the magma rock ability. Just have it cost 1 hp?

Cleon

Legend
Those ability scores look fine.

Added to Homebrews.

For inspiration, we can look here:

Magma Rock (Ex): A magma hurler can spit forth a ball of molten rock into its hand as a move action, as often as once per round. It can throw a magma rock with a range increment of 30 feet (maximum range 150 feet).

I'd change the once per round since the original version says "two such missiles can be hurled per round".

How about giving the "professional hurlers" use Rapid Shot to explain their 2 attacks? I'm tempted to allow them standard iterative ranged attacks too.

e.g.

Magma Rock (Ex): An infernite can spit a ball of molten rock into its hand as a free action. An infernite takes 1 point of damage whenever it produces a magma rock. They can throw these magma rocks with a 30 ft. range increment (maximum range 150 feet). Ranged weapon feats such as Rapid Shot or Point Blank Shot apply to thrown magma rocks.

RavinRay

Explorer
If you'd like. The salamander (from which I borrowed the ability) doesn't list it in the ability writeup...just on the attack lines.
I think we should mention that fire damage on a grapple. As I recall both the magma paraelemental and magma drake have the burn ability as part of their grapples.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I think we should mention that fire damage on a grapple. As I recall both the magma paraelemental and magma drake have the burn ability as part of their grapples.

They do. Essentially, it comes down to two different abilities...

Burn (Ex): Those grappled by a magma paraelemental or hit by a magma paraelemental’s slam attack must succeed on a Reflex save or catch on fire. The flame burns for 1d4 rounds. The save DC varies with the paraelemental’s size (see the table below). A burning creature can take a move action to put out the flame. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Creatures hitting a magma paraelemental with natural weapons or unarmed attacks also catch on fire unless they succeed on a Reflex save.

...vs...

Heat (Ex): A salamander generates so much heat that its mere touch deals additional fire damage. Salamanders’ metallic weapons also conduct this heat.

...plus...

Constrict (Ex): A salamander deals automatic tail slap damage (including fire damage) with a successful grapple check. A noble salamander can constrict multiple creatures simultaneously, provided they are all at least two sizes smaller than it.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Given this
Also, the intense heat of infernite bodies does 2d6 points of damage per round to creatures in physical contact with them. Realizing this, infernites are known to engage in bear-hugs to kill their foes (to-hit roll at +2 required, which can be broken by victim if a roll to open doors is made, once per round).
I think we need to include the fire damage on the grapple, especially since they won't have constrict like the salamander.

Cleon

Legend
They do. Essentially, it comes down to two different abilities...

Burn (Ex): Those grappled by a magma paraelemental or hit by a magma paraelemental’s slam attack must succeed on a Reflex save or catch on fire. The flame burns for 1d4 rounds. The save DC varies with the paraelemental’s size (see the table below). A burning creature can take a move action to put out the flame. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Creatures hitting a magma paraelemental with natural weapons or unarmed attacks also catch on fire unless they succeed on a Reflex save.

...vs...

Heat (Ex): A salamander generates so much heat that its mere touch deals additional fire damage. Salamanders’ metallic weapons also conduct this heat.

I think the Salamander's Heat SA is the better match.

Remove ads