• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

Shade

Monster Junkie
How about blending the two...

Heat (Ex): An infernite generates so much heat that its mere touch (including grapples) deals additional fire damage. Infernites' metallic weapons also conduct this heat.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

For the magma missiles, the original damage was 2-8. A magma hurler's magma rocks deal 3d10+8 plus 1d6 fire. Both are 4 HD and Medium. So perhaps set the infernite's to 2d4 plus 2d6 fire (the same fire damage as its heat)? Although this is significantly less than the magma hurler, the infernite has other benefits (such as heat), while the magma hurler is a one-trick pony.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
2d4 (bludgeoning?) +2d6 fire sounds good to me. Seems like plenty for 4HD!

Org and alignment look pretty good, though I could see always lawful.

On to skills and feats already?

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

For the magma missiles, the original damage was 2-8. A magma hurler's magma rocks deal 3d10+8 plus 1d6 fire. Both are 4 HD and Medium. So perhaps set the infernite's to 2d4 plus 2d6 fire (the same fire damage as its heat)? Although this is significantly less than the magma hurler, the infernite has other benefits (such as heat), while the magma hurler is a one-trick pony.

I was thinking the 2-8 damage was all fire, but 2d4 bludgeoning plus 2d6 fire works better considering the Infernite must sacrifice a hit point per missile.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Water causes 1d10 points of damage per gallon poured onto an infernite.

Do we want to borrow this?

Vulnerability to Water (Ex): Firegaunts are particularly vulnerable to water, and contact with it (such as wading into a pool or being splashed with a vial or bucket of water) inflicts 2d6 points of damage per strike. Complete immersion (including being caught in the rain or being subjected to a high volume of water, as from the geyser function of a decanter of endless water) inflicts 6d6 points of damage per round.

Infernites are able to manipulate their fluid bodies to flow through cracks and around obstacles. They can pass through any cracks or holes that are at least 6” across at their normal movement rate.

Didn't we do a similar amorphous-like trait recently?

Also, when body material such as hot coals or lava presents itself, infernites have the ability to bond with it and regenerate 1 hit point every other round given no interruptions (see Ecology).

Borrow this?

Fast Healing (Ex): A magma mephit heals only if it is touching magma, lava, or a flame at least as large as a torch.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Yes to the vulnerability and fast healing.

We did a squeezing trait for the bloody bones and something else, but I'm not sure I recall something quite that amorphous. Might be mis-remembering, though.

Cleon

Legend
Yes to the vulnerability and fast healing.

Agreed.

We did a squeezing trait for the bloody bones and something else, but I'm not sure I recall something quite that amorphous. Might be mis-remembering, though.

How about adapting some of the amorphous traits we came up with.

e.g. the Celestial Stag:

Amorphous (Ex): A celestial stag is not subject to critical hits. It cannot be flanked. Because of its jellylike substance, a celestial stag is able to slip through spaces that otherwise could accommodate only a Tiny or smaller creature.

or the Protein Polymorph:

Amorphous (Ex): A protein polymorph in its natural form has immunity to poison, sleep, paralysis, and stunning effects. It is not subject to critical hits and, having no clear front or back, cannot be flanked.
Amorphous (Ex): An infernite's body is essentially living molten lava. They normally assume a humanoid shape but can melt their bodies to flow through or around obstacles before recongealing themselves. An infernite is able to slip through spaces that would normally only accommodate a Diminutive creature at its normal land speed. An infernite has immunity to poison, paralysis, and stunning effects. It is not subject to critical hits.
It might be better to give the the immunities plus an adaptation of the Slime Golem's malleability:

Malleability (Ex): Because of a slime golem's unusual body structure, it can compress its body enough to squeeze through a 1-inch-wide crack. Cracks and similar openings that are 1 inch or more in width do not slow the slime golem at all.
Fluidity (Ex): Because an infernite's body is essentially living molten lava, it can flow through gaps of Diminutive size or more without slowing.

Immunities: An infernite has immunity to poison, paralysis, and stunning effects. It is not subject to critical hits.
I think I like the second option a bit more.

Remove ads