• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

Cleon

Legend
Those could work. It's a shame none of the "team fighting" feats are in the SRD. :erm:

Yes, they'd be a natural fit.

We could give them some kind of teamwork SA.

Fireteam Tactics (Ex): Whenever four or more infernites belonging to the same fireteam are within 30 ft. of each other, they all gain a +1 competence bonus to attack rolls and armor class.

Alternatively (or additionally) we can add a subentry "If you have access to the team-fighting feats in X, these are a good fit to the Infernites' fireteams."

Cleon

Legend
Knowlege (the planes), Listen, Spot, Tumble, ???

Feels like maybe some ranged attack feats would work.

I don't see much support for Tumble in the original but I'm game if Shade's OK with it.

How about Craft (weaponsmithing), Intimidate, Jump and Search for the other 4?

Skills (all 7 ranks): Craft (weaponsmithing), Knowledge (the planes), Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Search, Spot, Tumble

As for the feats, I'd have them vary depending on what role they play - the sample we're doing is a Sword, so I'd go for Weapon Focus (sword) and Power Attack.

The "Pike" version can have a longspear, Weapon Focus (longspear) and Combat Reflexes.

The "Magma-Thrower" can have Weapon Focus (magma missile) and Point Blank Shot.

I'd leave out the "one charged with resupply" by presuming it's a Sword wielding infernite.

Should we stat up a "magician"? Maybe a 4th level sorcerer with cold spells?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I like "fireteam tactics" and the underbar, honestly. Though we're calling it a "kiln," right? Also, I didn't realize we were doing all the individual stats. If we do that including the sorc, I'd maybe not lean on cold spells. I know it's best to have a different energy type, but the infernites seem too rigid to use cold. Besides, cold would risk too much friendly fire damage due to their vulnerability.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yes, they'd be a natural fit.

We could give them some kind of teamwork SA.

Fireteam Tactics (Ex): Whenever four or more infernites belonging to the same fireteam are within 30 ft. of each other, they all gain a +1 competence bonus to attack rolls and armor class.

Alternatively (or additionally) we can add a subentry "If you have access to the team-fighting feats in X, these are a good fit to the Infernites' fireteams."

I like! :cool:

I don't see much support for Tumble in the original but I'm game if Shade's OK with it.

Tumble is my favorite skill, so I'm always OK with it unless it makes absolutely no sense for the critter in question. With their fluid natures and tactical movement, I think it fits.

How about Craft (weaponsmithing), Intimidate, Jump and Search for the other 4?

Skills (all 7 ranks): Craft (weaponsmithing), Knowledge (the planes), Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Search, Spot, Tumble

Seems reasonable, although I think Sense Motive might be more useful than Search.

As for the feats, I'd have them vary depending on what role they play - the sample we're doing is a Sword, so I'd go for Weapon Focus (sword) and Power Attack.

Makes sense.

The "Pike" version can have a longspear, Weapon Focus (longspear) and Combat Reflexes.

The "Magma-Thrower" can have Weapon Focus (magma missile) and Point Blank Shot.

I'd leave out the "one charged with resupply" by presuming it's a Sword wielding infernite.

Should we stat up a "magician"? Maybe a 4th level sorcerer with cold spells?

I like "fireteam tactics" and the underbar, honestly. Though we're calling it a "kiln," right? Also, I didn't realize we were doing all the individual stats. If we do that including the sorc, I'd maybe not lean on cold spells. I know it's best to have a different energy type, but the infernites seem too rigid to use cold. Besides, cold would risk too much friendly fire damage due to their vulnerability.

I don't think Cleon was proposing statting up all varieties...just noting the different feats and weaponry for 'em in the description/underbar. At least, I hope that's what he was suggesting. ;)

I would like to stat up the mage, since it's different enough. I rather liked the idea of them using cold magic. Maybe give 'em Energy Substitution and pick targeted, rather than area of effect spells for use with it?

freyar

Separate feats in the underbar is ok, though perhaps wordy. ;)

I'll go along with cold since you both like it, though I still think it's against their rigid natures. But no area attack spells!

Cleon

Legend
Seems reasonable, although I think Sense Motive might be more useful than Search.

Sense Motive is a fine alternative, so let's give it that.

I don't think Cleon was proposing statting up all varieties...just noting the different feats and weaponry for 'em in the description/underbar. At least, I hope that's what he was suggesting. ;)

I would like to stat up the mage, since it's different enough. I rather liked the idea of them using cold magic. Maybe give 'em Energy Substitution and pick targeted, rather than area of effect spells for use with it?

Yes, I was just going to list variant feats and weapons for the warrior-variants, maybe with an attack/full attack line that incorporates the feats, and only have a full writeup for the Mage.

freyar

This looks quite good!

CR 3 maybe?

They should definitely speak Ignan and most likely Terran. Common too, maybe?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads