Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

Cleon

Legend
That might work for "in the wild", but doesn't suffice since it's usually found on Xakhun vessels or in the presence of its mistress.

How about: Solitary or Xan Kraban (1 plus 1 rigger and 2-10 drop spiders or 2-5 leaping sword spiders)

That suits me, although shouldn't that be "rigger spider"?

I prefer #2, because I'm wicked. :devil:

That's my favourite, too. Although everyone should realize I'm perfectly innocent... :angel:

Yeah, they're awfully squishy. Against an archer, they're less than CR 1. Maybe split the differnce between that and the fireball trap and go CR 3?

Well that's assuming the archer sees it coming - they've got a pretty good Hide skill.

Still, I'd be willing to consider that. What does Freyar favour?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
There are a lot of monsters pretty vulnerable to ranged weapons. And the archer may not realize it's a bomb. They're a tough case. I guess I'm inclined to go with CR 4, since they could use up 1/4 of the resources of a 4th-level party pretty easily with a well-placed blast.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Many of the spiders in the CC don't have weights, so we could forgo it. But I might guess around 10 lb.

Cleon

Legend
10-12 lb is ok by me. Then I guess we can move to the next one.

The "removing the chemical sacs" text in the background seems to be partially unnecessary, since a lot of it is in the explosive Death Throes attack.

Speaking of which, I like the "or otherwise immobilized" bit better than that Special Attack description's "on rendered unconscious".

I'm also thinking it would make sense to rearrange a couple of the paragraphs...

How's this:

This two-foot-diameter spider is covered in black fur.

The doomspider (also known as the “Vengeance of Lolth”) is an innocuous, relatively docile arachnid. While it is non-venomous, it can relax an internal sphincter to allows the chemicals in two internal sacs to combine, triggering a deadly explosion. The sacks can be surgically removed (a hazardous process which inevitably kills the creature) and their contents used to create alchemical compounds and powerful, portable explosive devices.

The Xakhun drow sail the skies in windships in groups known as Xan Krabans. Lolth created the various Xakhun spiders to bolster the fighting capability of the Xan Krabans, although some can be found in traditional subterranean drow cities, serving priestesses of the Spider Queen. Xakhun spiders normally hide in the crew compartment of the windship until called upon to attack nearby ships and enemies. The doomspider is basically ignored by the other Xakhun spider breeds.

A doomspider obeys only the commands of its chosen mistress (usually the windship captain). On occasion, Lolth has been known to command a doomspider to trigger its chemical explosion to destroy the windship of a captain or crew who has lost her favor. In cases where a Xakhun captain is mistreating her spiders, the Spider Queen often commands the captain’s doomspider to explode in a manner that leaves the captain dead and the majority of the crew alive so that the survivors might consider the cause of their captain’s misfortune.

A typical doomspider is 2-1/2 feet in diameter, 3 inches tall, and weighs 10 to 12 pounds.

Death Throes (Ex): A doomspider's body contains a pair of sacs filled with two chemical fluids which are harmless separately, but explode when mixed together. A doomspider can mix these chemicals together as a swift action. The following round the chemicals explode on the doomspider's turn, killing the spider and doing 8d6 points of fire damage to everything within a 20-ft. radius (DC 16 Reflex save for half damage). Once the fluids mix the doomspider cannot cancel the explosion. A doomspider also explodes if it is violently killed, detonating one round after it dies. The DCs are Constitution-based and include a +6 racial bonus.

If a doomspider is paralyzed (or otherwise immobilized) its fluid-sacs can be safely removed with a DC 16 Heal check. This kills the spider, and if the Heal check fails the chemicals will mix and explode as described above. The chemicals are individually safe, so can be transported in separate containers without fear of an explosion. These two containers may be thrown as a splash weapon, detonating at the point of impact.

Cleon

Legend
I'm also wondering whether we should have a note about Doomspiders as Familiars or Animal Companions. Although not being Animals they're a stretch as the latter...

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm also wondering whether we should have a note about Doomspiders as Familiars or Animal Companions. Although not being Animals they're a stretch as the latter...

Well, I suppose I could see the latter, but the former is sure gambling on XP loss!

Cleon

Legend
Well, I suppose I could see the latter, but the former is sure gambling on XP loss!

Yes, I had considered the risk of eXPlosive loss of experience...

Maybe a "Training a Doomspider" entry, with a Handle Animal DC for ordering it to explode? :lol:

Hmm, or maybe teaching it to explode is a Handle Animal trick - although one wonders how they practice! :p

Remove ads