• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from Dungeon Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
dhaga said:
That would probably work. Craft (Doll) or (Puppet) maybe too specific?

That was my thought. I like what Shade has now (except that the profession check says "DC DC").

Description: This appears to be an intricate ventriloquist's dummy, about two feet tall, made of wood, brass, and steel, dressed in a cloth costume. Its hand holds a short wand, and it wears a very notable oversized, floppy hat.

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
That was my thought. I like what Shade has now (except that the profession check says "DC DC").

That should have said "AC/DC". :p

Updated. How's it look now?

dhaga

First Post
Looks good to me, as well.

Nitpicky editor's note:
Wandstrike (Ex): A conjurer puppet can strike with its wand as a swift action. The wandstrike deals 2d6 points of electricity (no save) with a successful range touch attack. Its maximum range is 30 feet with no range increment.

Should be "ranged touch".

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Stun Puppet

AC 2
MV 9"
HD 6+6
hp 37, 32
#AT 2
Dmg 2-11/2-11
SA stunning
SD immune to mind-affecting spells, electrical attacks, poisons, paralysis, and gas attacks
AL: N

The guards here are similar in appearance to <conjurer puppets>, but they do not carry hats or wands. Instead, they have large bronze-covered fists.

Blows from the puppets which hit on a natural 19 or 20 stun the victim (-4 on "to hit" rolls, -2 to damage, +4 AC penalty, movement rate halved, spellcasting impossible) for 2-7 rounds.

Originally appeared in Dungeon #14 (1988).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Ok, this shouldn't be too bad. Str should be 12-13 and the damage from the fist slams should be 1d10, I guess. Make a special stun ability such that the fists have threat range 19-20. Successful criticals force the victim to make a Con based Fort save or be stunned for 1d6+1 rounds?

Shade

Monster Junkie
That sounds good, except Stun attacks are usually Strength-based.

Its AC is 3 better than the conjurer puppet. I don't think it should have better Dex (in fact, I'd suggest lower Dex), so give it better natural armor?

Stunning Fists (Ex): A stun puppet's slam attacks threaten a critical hit on a 19-20. Additionally, anyone struck by a stun puppet's slam attack must succeed on a DC X Fortitude save or be stunned for 1d6+1 rounds. The save DC is Strength-based.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads