• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from First Edition modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortis

First Post
dhaga said:
Could easily take the Roc stat block, and just make these a variation on those massive birds.
Yeah, just add their immunities, special healing, etc.

Regards
Mortis

Shade

Monster Junkie
Shade said:
The lunar variety of this species was created by some mad wizard. Moon rocs need no air and fly magically, using their wings only for stability. They are immune to all gases and feed on and are cured by light and heat, absorbed through the wings. Moon rocs are otherwise very similar to their terrestrial cousins.

So...

SQ: Fast healing X, "immunity to gases"

Is there a precedent for immunity to gases?

Fast Healing (Ex): A moon roc heals only if it is within an area with greater than shadowy illumination or with a temperature greater than X degrees.

Flight (Su): Although a moon roc possesses wings, it can fly by means of magic. This effect cannot be dispelled.

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
Is there a precedent for immunity to gases?
I don't know, there doesn't seem to many gas effects around now, for example in the old days a green dragon would breath chlorine gas.

Fast Healing (Ex): A moon roc heals only if it is within an area with greater than shadowy illumination or with a temperature greater than X degrees.
Fast Healing 3?
Temperature 50 degrees?

Flight (Su): Although a moon roc possesses wings, it can fly by means of magic. This effect cannot be dispelled.
Should it also have a non-magical glide?

Regards
Mortis

Shade

Monster Junkie
Mortis said:
I don't know, there doesn't seem to many gas effects around now, for example in the old days a green dragon would breath chlorine gas.

Now that I think about it, there is a breathless ability that would make more sense here, since it needs to breathe in an environment without a breathable atmosphere. Now which monster has that...

Mortis said:
Fast Healing 3?
Temperature 50 degrees?

Both sound good.

Mortis said:
Should it also have a non-magical glide?

Yeah. I'd imagine if one was captured and transported to a non-moon, it could probably still fly. Agree?

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
Now that I think about it, there is a breathless ability that would make more sense here, since it needs to breathe in an environment without a breathable atmosphere. Now which monster has that...
There are a number of 'moon' monsters such as the mooncalf, maybe one of those?
Just checked MMII and the moonbeast, mooncalf, and moonrat don't have the ability.

Regards
Mortis

Shade

Monster Junkie
Bingo!

Breathless: Air genasi do not breathe, so they are immune to drowning, suffocation, and attacks that require inhalation (such as some types of poisons).

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
Bingo!

Breathless: Air genasi do not breathe, so they are immune to drowning, suffocation, and attacks that require inhalation (such as some types of poisons).
Brilliant - although it makes you wonder how all those other lunar creatures cope :D

Regards
Mortis

Shade

Monster Junkie
Mortis said:
Brilliant - although it makes you wonder how all those other lunar creatures cope :D

Indeed. I think WotC really missed the mark in 3e on exploring other planets/worlds/moons/etc. Other than the Spelljammer thing in Poly, it was basically ignored. I guess they figured D20 Modern and D20 Future could pick up the slack.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

For the magical flight, should we mimic the fly spell, increasing the maneuverability to good and reducing speed to 60 feet?

Is the fast healing and breathless enough to bump up the CR by 1?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads