D&D 3E/3.5 Converting monsters from Mayfair Games Role Aids product line

Cleon

Legend
Just noticed a couple of minor problems with the Droids.

Firstly, the Warrior Droid is missing the level adjustment of +3 (cohort) we'd agreed on. I've corrected that.

Secondly, I'd mentioned that the original Valley of Trees (1982) version of Fez I had Guardian Droids that attacked with a sleep spell before using their "lasers".

I meant to propose adding a variant Guardian Droid with a "sleep projector" to the entry, but must have forgotten about it.

Shall we talk about amending the entry? It'd be a pretty simple addition.

Cleon

Legend
Just an underbar for the variant? That would work for me, I think.

I was thinking underbar, yes.

The relevant part of the original version of this module is:

When a player enters the courtyard, the closest droid approaches him and says: “I am empowered to sleep and then give damage to you unless you leave now! I would not even give this warning, but my master has so agreed to protect youths like yourself. Your reply must be immediate, or I will attack with all my powers.”

GM ONLY: The droids throw a Sleep spell 2nd round, after giving their message 1st round. The 3rd round they throw hits.

So the original version has sleep as the spell. We could make it a SLA I suppose, but that doesn't seem right.

How's this:

Variant Guardian Droid - Protector Droid
Many variant models of guardian droids are possible. The most common is the protector droid. This droid appears identical to a standard guardian droid, but in addition to the lethal option of its laser it has a sleep projector that allows it to harmlessly sedate living creatures.

Sleep Projector (Ex): A protector droid has a built-in projector with a 120 ft. range that produces a 10 ft. radius burst of soporific radiation. Any living creature within this area must succeed at a DC 12 Fortitude save or be affected. Affected creatures fall asleep for 1d3 minutes unless they have more Hit Dice than the droid, in which case they are dazed for 1 round instead. Sleeping creatures can be awoken as if they were affected by a sleep spell. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Cleon

Legend
Yup, that'll work!

Updating the Guardian Droid Working Draft.

Do you think the extra special attack would increase the Challenge Rating from the standard model's CR 4?

Hmm... the Guardian Droid in Valley of Trees has a much lower AC than the version in Wizard's Vale - AC 8 vs AC 4.

We could have it so it is made out of regular plastic like a Servitor (+6 NA and no DR). That'd certainly compensate for the sleep projector as far as its CR goes.

Maybe it's more of a "civilian model" than the standard version so isn't as well armoured?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Hmm, what if instead of saying labeling the underbar as "Variant Guardian Droid - Protector Droid," we call it "Variant Guardian Droids" and just list some possible SAs/SQs. So a sleep projector would be an additional SA worth CR+1, while "plastic armor" (no DR) would be CR-1?

Cleon

Legend
Hmm, what if instead of saying labeling the underbar as "Variant Guardian Droid - Protector Droid," we call it "Variant Guardian Droids" and just list some possible SAs/SQs. So a sleep projector would be an additional SA worth CR+1, while "plastic armor" (no DR) would be CR-1?

Good idea!

How's this:

Variant Guardian Droids
Many variant models of guardian droids are possible. The following options list some of the most popular variations.

The most common variant is the protector droid, a model equipped with the Sleep Projector and Plastic Armor options. A protector droid appears identical to a standard guardian droid, but is less well armored and is able to harmlessly sedate living creatures in addition to the lethal option of its laser.

Sleep Projector (Ex): The guardian droid has a built-in projector with a 120 ft. range that produces a 10 ft. radius burst of soporific radiation. Any living creature within this area must succeed at a DC 12 Fortitude save or be affected. Affected creatures fall asleep for 1d3 minutes unless they have more Hit Dice than the droid, in which case they are dazed for 1 round instead. Sleeping creatures can be awoken as if they were affected by a sleep spell. The save DC is Constitution-based. This option increases the droid's CR by +1.

Plastic Armor: The guardian droid has lightweight plastic armor. Its natural armor bonus is reduced to +6 and it loses the damage reduction 5/adamantine of the standard model. This option reduces the guardian droid's weight by 25% (to 300 pounds for a typical guardian droid) and reduces the droid's CR by -1.

Wheeled Chassis (Ex): The guardian droid moves on wheels instead of tracks. Replace the standard model's Tracked Chassis special quality with the Wheeled Chassis special quality described in the Servitor Droid entry. This increases the guardian droid's speed by +20 ft. but does not alter the droid's CR.

Cleon

Legend
I like it! We could make up some more options, too. Greater senses, force fields, or something.

I'm happy with the three options in the current draft, but have no objection to adding some more.

Of your suggestions, force fields is the most tempting.

Remove ads