D&D 3E/3.5 Converting monsters from Mayfair Games Role Aids product line

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
BTW, I really like the way you guys designed the droids. I'm definitely going to use those for my Time of Ages steampunk setting. (Hmm, they might work for my Kulan-Bluffside campaign too.)

Cleon

Legend
BTW, I really like the way you guys designed the droids. I'm definitely going to use those for my Time of Ages steampunk setting. (Hmm, they might work for my Kulan-Bluffside campaign too.)

Thanks for the support!

We're about done with the Droids, so are there any other Mayfair Monsters you fancy conversions for?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Yes, that ratio would work fine, though I would like to tweak the wording slightly:

Jetpack: A jetpack-equipped droid is capable of powered flight at a speed of 60 feet (good maneuverability). Each hour's flight consumes one day's worth of battery power at normal power operation; a droid operating at low power, emergency power, or standby power is unable to fly.

However, I'd still like to reference the d20 modern's 2 hour limit for a jetpack. How about:

An operating jetpack generates an excessive amount of heat. It normally takes as long for a flight-heated jetpack to cool down as the duration of its flight. If the jetpack accumulates heat equal to 2 hours of flight, the jetpack overheats and must shut down for at least 10 minutes of cooling before it can fly again. Unusual conditions may cause a jetpack to heat up or cool down at a faster or slower rate.

The new wording is fine. If you want to put in the overheating, we could reduce the amount of power the jetpack burns (because how many DMs can keep track of that anyway?), though I do like the concept.

Cleon

Legend
The new wording is fine. If you want to put in the overheating, we could reduce the amount of power the jetpack burns (because how many DMs can keep track of that anyway?), though I do like the concept.

I'd prefer to keep the overheating and cut the bit about the jetpack consuming the robot's power at faster than its normal rate:

Jetpack: A jetpack-equipped droid is capable of powered flight at a speed of 60 feet (good maneuverability). The jetpack only functions when the droid is in normal power operation; a droid operating at low power, emergency power, or standby power is unable to fly.

An operating jetpack generates an excessive amount of heat. It normally takes as long for a flight-heated jetpack to cool down as the duration of its flight. If the jetpack accumulates heat equal to 2 hours of flight, the jetpack overheats and must shut down for at least 10 minutes of cooling before it can fly again. Unusual conditions may cause a jetpack to heat up or cool down at a faster or slower rate.

Cleon

Legend
Sure, that'll work.

OK, so shall I update the the the Guardian Droid Working Draft with the following:

Variant Guardian Droids
Many variant models of guardian droids are possible. The following options list some of the most popular variations.

The most common variant is the protector droid, a model equipped with the Sleep Projector and Plastic Armor options. A protector droid appears identical to a standard guardian droid, but is less well armored and is able to harmlessly sedate living creatures in addition to the lethal option of its laser.

Jetpack (Ex): A jetpack-equipped droid is capable of powered flight at a speed of 60 feet (good maneuverability). The jetpack only functions when the droid is in normal power operation; a droid operating at low power, emergency power, or standby power is unable to fly.

An operating jetpack generates an excessive amount of heat. It normally takes as long for a flight-heated jetpack to cool down as the duration of its flight. If the jetpack accumulates heat equal to 2 hours of flight, the jetpack overheats and must shut down for at least 10 minutes of cooling before it can fly again. Unusual conditions may cause a jetpack to heat up or cool down at a faster or slower rate. This option increases the droid's CR by +1.

Force Field Generator: This device projects a personal defensive bubble around the guardian droid that provides a DR of DR 10/—. The force field generator can only function when the droid is in normal power operation; the droid can activate the force field as an immediate action and deactivate it as a free action. This option increases the droid's CR by +1.

Plastic Armor: The guardian droid has lightweight plastic armor. Its natural armor bonus is reduced to +6 and it loses the damage reduction 5/adamantine of the standard model. This option reduces the guardian droid's weight by 25% (to 300 pounds for a typical guardian droid) and reduces the droid's CR by -1.

Sleep Projector (Ex): The guardian droid has a built-in projector with a 120 ft. range that produces a 10 ft. radius burst of soporific radiation. Any living creature within this area must succeed at a DC 12 Fortitude save or be affected. Affected creatures fall asleep for 1d3 minutes unless they have more Hit Dice than the droid, in which case they are dazed for 1 round instead. Sleeping creatures can be awoken as if they were affected by a sleep spell. The save DC is Constitution-based. This option increases the droid's CR by +1.

Wheeled Chassis (Ex): The guardian droid moves on wheels instead of tracks. Replace the standard model's Tracked Chassis special quality with the Wheeled Chassis special quality described in the Servitor Droid entry. This increases the guardian droid's speed by +20 ft. but does not alter the droid's CR.

Cleon

Legend
Yup! Are we "re-done" with these now?

Hopefully!

Updating the Guardian Droid Working Draft.

Hmm, I'm having second thought about the wording of "A protector droid appears identical to a standard guardian droid, but is less well armored and is able to harmlessly sedate living creatures in addition to the lethal option of its laser".

How about "A protector droid appears identical to the standard model guardian, but is less well armored and can sedate living intruders if the lethal option of its laser is inappropriate."

Remove ads