• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from the second edition Monstrous Compendiums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
Natural armor bonus?
+24
Damage reduction X
10/magic

Skills: 144
Standard linnorm skills:
Bluff, Concentration, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Knowledge (arcana), Listen, Search, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, Swim
We can have 9 of them at max rank (16)

Feats: 5
Standard linnorm feats:
Alertness, Flyby Attack, Multiattack, Snatch
Other feats: Ability Focus, Cleave, Power Attack, metamagic feats
I'm tempted to make this a melee machine, so as well as the three standard feats - Cleave and Power Attack?

Breath Weapon (Su): 60-foot line of searing heat, once every 1d4 rounds; damage xd12 fire, Reflex DC 25 half. Additionally, a creature damaged by the breath weapon is fatigued. The save DC is Constitution-based.
6d12 or maybe up it to 8d12?

Caster level for SLAs?
15th

Regards
Mortis

Shade

Monster Junkie
We're back to the runes.

We could use the FRCS rune magic, as well as the runecaster prestige class, for inspiration.

Essentially, runes can contain any divine spell the caster knows and are triggered by touch. An erase spell, targeted dispel magic, or a rogue with Disable Device can attempt to disarm a rune.

Runecasters gain additional powers, such as making their runes activated when read or passed. They gain +1 divine spellcasting level per runecaster level.

So maybe....

Runes (Su): A land linnorm does not gain spells like most other linnorms. Instead, it may select up to 12 spells per day to inscribe as runes. These spells must be selected from the cleric spell list and the X domains. Inscribing a rune is a full-round action. Once inscribed, a rune is activated by touch. The save DCs for runes are equal to 10 + spell level + land linnorm's Wisdom modifier (15 + spell level for a typical land linnorm). Caster level 17th?

An erase spell (DC 15 + linnorm's caster level) or a targeted dispel magic spell can disable a rune. A rogue with Disable Device can attempt to disarm a rune as if it were a magic trap (DC 25 + spell level).

In all other respects, runes function as divine spells.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I haven't been doing much with the linnorms, but the runes sound right (even if that's not what the Vikings did. ;))

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
CR 19? It is slightly less powerful than a gray due to the more limited spellcasting.
It's about what I was thinking, I was thinking somewhere in the region of 18-19.

Regards
Mortis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads