Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Cleon

Legend
I appreciate your suffering! ;)

I'll whip up some Flavour & Tactics when I have more time to spare.

How's this...

A human skull floating in the air atop a sheet-like translucent figure, vaguely manlike in outline. A pair of bony hands at the end of fluttering, sleeve-like arms.No legs, no feet, the body-sheet just trails away to mist. Shards of decaying bone can be glimpsed inside its body and limbs.

A kyokotsu, meaning "Crazy Bones", is an undead spirit that occasionally forms from a forgotten corpse. Its cursed existence drives it to attack living mortals. They are usually encountered near wherever they died - somewhere a corpse can lie undiscovered, such as the bottom of a well or the overgrown bank of a little-used mountain trail. Most kyokotsu are solitary, but there are very rare cursed places where groups of crazy bones roam, killing those they encounter. These are usually based around sites where a family of evil doers was murdered and left to rot.

A kyokotsu is typically the same size as it was in life, but weighs only a few pounds. Particularly powerful crazy bones may grow to be twice the height of a human.

A kyokotsu can speak whatever languages it knew in life (usually Common), but generally voice nothing but nonsensical shrieks and bloodthirsty cackling, since they're as crazy as their name suggests.

COMBAT
Kyokotsu delight in surprising victims. They can spring upon their opponents by appearing out of small holes and tiny cracks. Crazy bones fight with claws. A kyokotsu is an erratic fighter with little or no sense of tactics. They typically fight to the death, chasing after opponents who try to flee, but might fly away and hide at the slightest sign of opposition, or hover in the air screaming insults and laughter at a retreating enemy.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Yes, we can cut the red questions.

I'd rather not give them the spirit subtype (even though undead can have it), just as another point of differentiation from the tatami goblin.

Cleon

Legend
Yes, we can cut the red questions.

I'd rather not give them the spirit subtype (even though undead can have it), just as another point of differentiation from the tatami goblin.

In that case, once I've updated the Working Draft we'd ought to be done.

Hmm, glancing through it I'm tempted to change the Squeeze so it can fit through a Diminutive or Fine space rather than a Tiny one.

freyar

Diminutive is ok, but I don't think the individual bones would all fit through Fine spaces. Yes, I know it's an Su ability, but I always imagined it as an Su reshuffling of the individual parts.

Cleon

Legend
Wow, guess these are done.

As to what's next, it's no matter to me.

Let's go for the Ninja Spirit Shadow then.

We have two entries to consider.

One from the Encounter Table:

Ninja spirit shadow: In bright light the ninja exists as a black outline that cannot be attacked or harmed; in shadows it is a corporeal Ninja-Yakuza (Level 3/3; AC 5; hp 15; #AT 1; THAC0 20; Dmg 1-6; SA As character class).

The other from the Statistics table:

NAME . . .. . . AC . MV .. HD . hp . THAC0 . Dmg . . SA . . . . . . . . . SD . . . . . .. . . . . . AL
Ninja, shadow . 5 .. 12" . 6 .. 15 .. 19 . 1-4/1-4 . Regen 1/r in shade . AC0 in light (min. dmg) . N

Or, in a somewhat easier to read arrangement:

Ninja, shadow
AC 5
MV 12"
HD 6
hp 15
THAC0 19
Dmg 1-4/1-4
SA Regen 1/r in shade
SD AC0 in light (min. dmg)
AL N

These are supposed to be stats for the same creature, but the SAs and Damage don't match. My preferred solution would be combining the two. e.g. give it two attack options - a 1d6 attack (shortsword?) and a pair of 1d4 attacks (unarmed strike?).

Maybe increase that to a 1d10 bastard sword and a flurry of 1d6 unarmed strikes?

freyar

Let me just get this straight first. It's an incorporeal (undead?) critter in light but turns into a corporeal monster in regions of dim light? Odd.

Agreed on 6HD Medium undead?

Remove ads