Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I can get behind that, I guess. Allowing an extra move action is worth something!

Scythe Whirlwind (Ex): The Reaper can use Whirlwind Attack with a scythe as a standard action (instead of the usual full attack action).

Seven Blades is next, I guess. I'm not sure how I want that to work. It should give him extra parries and somehow extra attacks (how is this better than the whirlwind?), but it seems like it has some limitation. Also, does the whirlwind only work when the seven blades are activated?

Cleon

Legend
I can get behind that, I guess. Allowing an extra move action is worth something!

Scythe Whirlwind (Ex): The Reaper can use Whirlwind Attack with a scythe as a standard action (instead of the usual full attack action).

The original combat maneuver was called "Propeller Attack" and also increase the Reaper's AC to 0 (a +2 on its usual armour class).

Should we include that as well?

Seven Blades is next, I guess. I'm not sure how I want that to work. It should give him extra parries and somehow extra attacks (how is this better than the whirlwind?).

Seven Blades It doesn't explicitly say it gets extra attacks, just a higher bonus for up to three attacks. The Reaper normally gets three attacks - it has "#AT 3" in its statline - but presumably it could use Propeller Attack to get 3+ attacks.

That #AT 3 makes me think we should either give its scythe the speed quality, have it be permanently hasted, or increase its HD and BAB to 11-15.

I prefer the speed option.

Also, does the whirlwind only work when the seven blades are activated?

Yes, the Whirlwind is the equivalent of the original's "Propeller Attack", so the original monster could only use it when deploying the Seven Blades.

A literal interpretation would be something like...

"Scythe Propeller" [:p?] (Ex):
The Reaper can use Seven Blades (see below) to make a Whirlwind Attack with its scythe as a standard action instead of the usual full attack action. Furthermore, The Reaper gains a +2 dodge bonus to its AC when it uses Whirlwind Attack with a scythe.

I'd rather do something in the middle:

Scythe Whirlwind (Ex): The Reaper gains a +2 dodge bonus to its AC when it uses Whirlwind Attack with a scythe. Furthermore, if the reaper has deployed its Seven Blades (see below) it can use Whirlwind Attack as a standard action instead of the usual full attack action.

And for the "Seven Blades".

Seven Blades (Ex): As a standard action, the reaper can split its scythe into seven separate blades that extend in a circle like the spokes of an umbrella. During this action, the Reaper can make a standard melee attack and a free disarm attack (+20 modifier) that is resolved as if it had the Improved Disarm feat (no attack of opportunity and +4 bonus on its opposed attack roll). It can make the melee and disarm attacks against different opponents or the same opponent.

Once deployed, the Reaper can whirl the Seven Blades like a buzzsaw, giving it bonuses of +X to attack and +Y damage on subsequent rounds.

The Reaper can not make Scythe Sweep special attack while it has deployed its Seven Blades, but gains the use of its Scythe Whirlwind special attack. It can still use Scythe Parry (with a +16 modifier on the roll).

The Reaper gains three additional attacks of opportunity while it has its Seven Blades deployed, which it can use for Parrying it it wishes.

The Reaper can collapse its scythe back into a single blade as a free action. [or a swift action?].

Cleon

Legend
Seven Blades (Ex): As a standard action, the reaper can split its scythe into seven separate blades that extend in a circle like the spokes of an umbrella. During this action, the Reaper can make a standard melee attack and a free disarm attack (+20 modifier) that is resolved as if it had the Improved Disarm feat (no attack of opportunity and +4 bonus on its opposed attack roll). It can make the melee and disarm attacks against different opponents or the same opponent.

Once deployed, the Reaper can whirl the Seven Blades like a buzzsaw, giving it bonuses of +X to attack and +Y damage on subsequent rounds.

The Reaper can not make Scythe Sweep special attack while it has deployed its Seven Blades, but gains the use of its Scythe Whirlwind special attack. It can still use Scythe Parry (with a +16 modifier on the roll).

The Reaper gains three additional attacks of opportunity while it has its Seven Blades deployed, which it can use for Parrying it it wishes.

The Reaper can collapse its scythe back into a single blade as a free action.

I'd rather cut the extra AoOs/Parries, since its Masterful Combat Reflexes already gives it plenty of these.

The Reaper's complicated enough already!

Oh, but speaking of complications. I've looked through the adventure against and all the seven swords have weaknesses as well:

OA2 said:
A special note for the DM: each of the seven swords possesses a special weakness. If the characters specifically attack the item or achieve the condition, the weapon master suffers double damage from hits scored and has a -2 on initiative for the next round. The weaknesses are:

Reaper: Loss of contact with the ground (receives increased damage when levitated/falling/thrown etc.).

What is this, is he Antaios's brother?

Give him vulnerability to weapon damage when he's not in contact with the dirt?

freyar

The proposed Scythe Whirlwind and Seven Blades work for me. I'd also drop the extra AoOs and parries. How much for +X and +Y? +2 for each, perhaps?

Cleon

Legend
The proposed Scythe Whirlwind and Seven Blades work for me. I'd also drop the extra AoOs and parries. How much for +X and +Y? +2 for each, perhaps?

The original monster had +1 to hit and +7 damage when making a propeller attack. Since it usually did +3 damage, that's a +1 to attack and a +2 to damage.

A +2 might do it, or we could give it a +2 to attack and increase the dice of damage - 2d6+6 instead of 2d4+6?

Hmm, I like the second option better, and it gives the same average damage increase as a simple +2 damage.

If we want to keep the original's extra +4 to damage we could make it 2d6+8 or 2d8+6.

freyar

In that case:

Once deployed, the Reaper can whirl the Seven Blades like a buzzsaw, giving it bonuses of +2 to attack and 2d6+6 damage on subsequent rounds.

The Reaper can collapse its scythe back into a single blade as a free action.

Remove ads