Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Cleon

Legend
In that case:

Seven Blades (Ex): As a standard action, the reaper can split its scythe into seven separate blades that extend in a circle like the spokes of an umbrella. During this action, the Reaper can make a standard melee attack and a free disarm attack (+20 modifier) that is resolved as if it had the Improved Disarm feat (no attack of opportunity and +4 bonus on its opposed attack roll). It can make the melee and disarm attacks against different opponents or the same opponent.

Once deployed, the Reaper can whirl the Seven Blades like a buzzsaw, giving it bonuses of +2 to attack and 2d6+6 damage on subsequent rounds.

The Reaper can not make Scythe Sweep special attack while it has deployed its Seven Blades, but gains the use of its Scythe Whirlwind special attack. It can still use Scythe Parry (with a +16 modifier on the roll).

The Reaper can collapse its scythe back into a single blade as a free action.

Yes, that's what I had in mind.

Updating The Reaper Working Draft.

You know, we should really decide on its Armour Class...

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
The original AC converts to 18, but that seems a touch low. How about we aim for 22-23? Could definitely justify some NA and maybe an insight or deflection bonus.

Cleon

Legend
The original AC converts to 18, but that seems a touch low. How about we aim for 22-23? Could definitely justify some NA and maybe an insight or deflection bonus.

Well it doesn't have to be that great because it can Parry its enemies blows.

An AD&D Oriental Adventures Kensai never wears armour, and has a special AC of 23 minus Dex plus +1 per three levels. The Reaper had Dex 18 and is a 9th level Kensai, so would normally have AC 2 (23 - 18 - 3 = 2).

The 3E Oriental Adventures version doesn't have such a non-standard AC, but I could see us giving him a Wisdom-based AC bonus like a monk, and maybe a bit of natural armour for being all tough and leathery.

freyar

Hmm, ok, so he has +4 Dex, +2 insight (Wis-based), and maybe +4 NA for a total AC of 20. Then parrying. Sound good?

Cleon

Legend
Hmm, ok, so he has +4 Dex, +2 insight (Wis-based), and maybe +4 NA for a total AC of 20. Then parrying. Sound good?

AC 20 is OK, although I would have no objection to making it a little higher either.

Hmm, +4 NA is the same as a Ghast or Wight, but The Reaper is a few CR grades higher than that. How about +6 NA like a Vampire? That way it has AC 16 in both flat-footed and touch.

Or does its Wis-based insight bonus apply when its flat-footed like a Monk's does? If the latter I'm fine leaving it as-is.

It doesn't make that much difference to me though. So long as its "ordinary AC" is significantly lower than its "parry AC" I'm OK.

Its Parrying Average-Armour-Class-Equivalent is AC 28.5, so that's the number most attacks should be trying to beat.

Cleon

Legend
I'd think the insight bonus should work like the Monk's. So what if we split the difference and say +5 NA?

In that case we'd better amend the SQ with something like "The Reaper has an Armor Class bonus equal to a 9th level monk when it is unarmored and unencumbered, adding its Wisdom bonus +1 to its AC. If it gains any levels in a class that grants a monk's AC bonus, its base Hit Dice stack with the class levels for determining its AC."

Now should we add this to its Martial Training ability, make it part of its Masterful Combat Reflexes or break it out into a separate SQ called "Masterful Defense" or somesuch?

freyar

I'm a tad confused now that I look at the monk's rules. The monk's AC bonus isn't an insight bonus, it's just something else. Shouldn't we just make it a normal insight bonus to AC, which would stack with the monk AC bonus (as a different type) and which I think applies even when flat-footed?

Cleon

Legend
I'm a tad confused now that I look at the monk's rules. The monk's AC bonus isn't an insight bonus, it's just something else. Shouldn't we just make it a normal insight bonus to AC, which would stack with the monk AC bonus (as a different type) and which I think applies even when flat-footed?

If we did that the monk's Armor Class bonus would stack with the insight bonus and it'd get double its Wisdom bonus to AC if it got a level in monk.

Making it work the same as a monk seems a better approach.

Remove ads