Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Cleon

Legend
That'll work for me. The damage is even comparable to a shortspear (slightly better with the threat range).

Sounds like we're agreed on the stats then, so just need to express it as a special attack ability.

I should be able to whip up ('ha-ha') a rough draft after finishing work today.

Cleon

Legend
How's this:

Steel Cloth (Ex): A Veiled Maidens has wield a veil with such uncanny ability it turns a length of cloth into a deadly weapon. The veil has the same combat properties as a whip-dagger (see the Arms and Equipment Guide). If you do not possess that sourcebook, a whip-dagger has the same properties as a whip, including the +2 bonus to disarm, except it does 1d6 slashing damage with a 19-20 threat range and is able to damage armored creatures. Furthermore, the veil becomes as hard to break as a light steel blade (hardness 10, 2 hit points).

The veil is just an ordinary length of cloth imbued with deadly power by the Veiled Maidens' skill. It has no special properties when wielded by another creature.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I think that looks good mechanically, but I'd probably take out the explicit reference to the whip-dagger.

Steel Cloth (Ex): A Veiled Maidens has wield a veil with such uncanny ability it turns a length of cloth into a deadly weapon. The steel cloth has the same properties as a whip, including the +2 bonus to disarm, except it does 1d6 slashing damage with a 19-20 threat range and is able to damage armored creatures. Furthermore, the veil becomes as hard to break as a light steel blade (hardness 10, 2 hit points).

The veil is just an ordinary length of cloth imbued with deadly power by the Veiled Maidens' skill. It has no special properties when wielded by another creature.

Or we can leave it in. Either way.

Cleon

Legend
I think that looks good mechanically, but I'd probably take out the explicit reference to the whip-dagger.

Steel Cloth (Ex): A Veiled Maidens has wield a veil with such uncanny ability it turns a length of cloth into a deadly weapon. The steel cloth has the same properties as a whip, including the +2 bonus to disarm, except it does 1d6 slashing damage with a 19-20 threat range and is able to damage armored creatures. Furthermore, the veil becomes as hard to break as a light steel blade (hardness 10, 2 hit points).

Or we can leave it in. Either way.

I'm fine with the above.

Shall we update the Veiled Maidens Working Draft with that and move on to "sticking touch".

freyar

Yup, please update.

You'll have to draft up Sticking Touch, as I don't have access to the original mechanics for that...

Cleon

Legend
You'll have to draft up Sticking Touch, as I don't have access to the original mechanics for that...

Updating the Veiled Maidens Working Draft.

I'll have to dig out my copy of the 1st edition Oriental Adventures to look it up and transcribe the text...

OK, here's the original Special Manoeuvre:

Oriental Adventures, page 104

Sticking Touch:
The character has so attuned his sense of touch that even by lightly placing his hand on another he can cause it to follow their every move. A normal to hit roll must be made and the touch does no damage. However, so long as the character remains in contact, he gains + 2 on all subsequent to hit rolls and his armor class improves by 2, since he is able to feel the impending move of his opponent before it happens. The touch can only be broken by the opponent moving in a way or at a speed beyond the abilities of the character. Thus, if the opponent had the Leap maneuver he could use this to break contact. However, if both knew this maneuver, the character could automatically choose to leap at the same time as his opponent, keeping his contact unbroken.

freyar

So it's a touch attack to gain a connection that grants a +2 dodge(?) bonus and +2 circumstance(?) bonus to attacks against one opponent. I don't think I like "can't be broken except by speed" bit; what do you say we let an Escape Artist or similar check get out of it? Maybe a Tumble check keeps the flavor of the original mechanic.

I'm also thinking: with Multiple Actions, it might be fun to allow some of the actions be some of these special attacks and others be normal attacks...

Cleon

Legend
So it's a touch attack to gain a connection that grants a +2 dodge(?) bonus and +2 circumstance(?) bonus to attacks against one opponent. I don't think I like "can't be broken except by speed" bit; what do you say we let an Escape Artist or similar check get out of it? Maybe a Tumble check keeps the flavor of the original mechanic.

The benefits come from being able to "feel the impending move" of the opponent, which sounds like it might be an insight bonus.

I'd be OK allowing a Tumble check to break the connection, but Escape Artist doesn't seem right since it doesn't involve keeping hold of the opponent.

I'm also thinking: with Multiple Actions, it might be fun to allow some of the actions be some of these special attacks and others be normal attacks...

That'd suit me.

freyar

Something like this? I do wonder if the Tumble check should be opposed instead of a flat DC. I'm also not sure whether to make it ranged or melee. It probably needs some wording about range from a specific body.

Sticking Touch (Ex???): As an attack action, a Veiled Maidens may make a ranged touch attack (range 10 ft??, no range increments) that, if successful, connects one of its veils to its opponent. This connection grants the Veiled Maidens a +2 insight bonus to AC and attack rolls against that opponent as long as the veil remains attached. The connection can be broken only if the opponent succeeds on a DC X Tumble check, the Veiled Maidens ends its turn with the opponent outside the range of Sticking Touch, or the Veiled Maidens chooses to release the connection.

Proposed revision to Multiple Actions:

Multiple Actions (Ex): Whenever the Veiled Maidens performs an action, it can perform that action up to seven times - once for each of its bodies. Thus, if it makes a standard attack action it will make up to seven attacks at no penalty, even if it moves or charges during the round. The number of multiple actions it can make is reduced by one whenever one of its bodies is destroyed (see Multiple Bodies). When the Veiled Maidens performs an action, all of its bodies perform the same action (either against the same or different targets), with three exceptions.

First, a Veiled Maidens' body can use the Aid Another action to aid one of its other bodies perform an action. Thus, if three bodies use Aid Another, they add three sets of +2 bonuses to the attacks (or other actions) of the Maidens' remaining four bodies, distributed between them however the Veiled Maidens desires.

Second, if the Veiled Maidens performs an attack action, not all attacks need to be of the same type. For example, six bodies may make melee attacks, while the seventh makes a Sticking Touch special attack (see below).

Finally, if a body qualifies for an Opportunity Attack, that body gets a single opportunity attack - the other bodies do not get opportunity attacks too. The Veiled Maidens only gets multiple opportunity attacks if multiple bodies qualify separately. The Veiled Maidens can make up to seven opportunity attacks per round - once for each body - plus any bonus opportunity attacks it gains from Combat Reflexes or similar abilities.

Cleon

Legend
Something like this? I do wonder if the Tumble check should be opposed instead of a flat DC. I'm also not sure whether to make it ranged or melee. It probably needs some wording about range from a specific body.

All the Tumble checks in the SRD are flat DCs, suggesting a flat DC is appropriate. I'd also allow an Escape Artist check to break the connection as well as Tumble.

I'm also not sure whether to make it ranged or melee. It probably needs some wording about range from a specific body.

The original ability was a martial arts move, so presumably it would be a melee touch. That said, allowing it to use Sticking Touch through a veil just feels right - they are superhumanly proficient with their veils, after all.

So how about allowing the Maidens to use either to establish the connection?

Something like:

Sticking Touch (Ex): As an attack action, a Veiled Maidens may make a touch attack with either an unarmed strike or veil that, if successful, forms a connection with its opponent that allows the Maidens to feel their opponent's every move. This connection grants the Veiled Maidens a +2 insight bonus to AC and attack rolls against that opponent. The connection can be broken if the opponent succeeds on a DC X Escape Artist check or DC X Tumble check, the Veiled Maidens ends its turn with the opponent outside the reach of its veil (15 ft.), or the Veiled Maidens chooses to release the connection.

Proposed revision to Multiple Actions:

Multiple Actions (Ex): *SNIP*

Second, if the Veiled Maidens performs an attack action, not all attacks need to be of the same type. For example, six bodies may make melee attacks, while the seventh makes a Sticking Touch special attack (see below).

*SNIP*

Not sure about this idea. The Veiled Maidens is essentially a single being with seven bodies, do we want them acting that independently? I'd like to think about it for a bit.

Remove ads