Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
If we keep them slams as regular melee attacks, I'll agree not to boost the eye rays. But making the slams touch attacks would make their average damage higher, so they'd pretty much always be preferable.

I do like boosting the Str a little.

Cleon

Legend
If we keep them slams as regular melee attacks, I'll agree not to boost the eye rays. But making the slams touch attacks would make their average damage higher, so they'd pretty much always be preferable.

I do like boosting the Str a little.

Let's keep the slams melee and boost the Strength then (to Str 12/14/18 for Least/Lesser/Greater).

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm not opposed to the higher Str, but if feels a bit odd since we seemed to be following a "ninja elemental" route. :erm:

Cleon

Legend
I'm not opposed to the higher Str, but if feels a bit odd since we seemed to be following a "ninja elemental" route. :erm:

Oh ninja were mighty strong, you know.:)

Besides, they've still got lower Strength than those wish-washy water elementals.

How about keeping the Str lower but giving them more slams?

I'd rather not.

They only have one tendril to attack with, so giving them multiple slams would seem a bit odd.

freyar

Sounds like the slightly boosted Str is the way to go. But shouldn't it be a tentacle rather than a tendril if it's a slam? ;)

Cleon

Legend
Sounds like the slightly boosted Str is the way to go. But shouldn't it be a tentacle rather than a tendril if it's a slam? ;)

Well the original text consistently refers it it as a "tendril", so I'd rather change its name from slam to tendril.

I'm worrying a bit that the fire shuriken attacks is too good compared to its slam/tendril and fiery eyes. Would you consider reducing the damage to 1d10?

Cleon

Legend
Reducing to 1d10 is ok.

So are we agreed on the following:

1. Increasing Str to Str 12/14/18 for Least/Lesser/Greater.
  2. Changing "slam" to "tendril".
  3. Reducing fire shuriken damage to 1d10.
I think that's about it for the attacks, so can we move on to the skills & feats.

I think a Fire Elemental's Listen/Spot are OK for the former:

Least Flame Elemental Skills: Listen +2, Spot +3
Lesser Flame Elemental Skills: Listen +3, Spot +4
Greater Flame Elemental Skills: Listen +5, Spot +6

Featswise, I'd rather have something different from the Dodge/Mobility/Spring Attack of the Fire Elementals, since the Flame Spirit has a lot slower movement speed.

Some selection from Ability Focus (burn), Combat Reflexes, Great Fortitude, Power Attack, Weapon Focus Focus (tendril) or (fiery eyes) would suit me.

Since they've only got one tendril attack they'll have fewer opportunities to set foes alight than a Fire Elemental, so I'd like to make Ability Focus (burn) their first feat.

Combat Reflexes or Weapon Focus (slam) for the second?

Power Attack for the third?

Least Flame Elemental Feats: Ability Focus (burn)
Lesser Flame Elemental Feats: Ability Focus (burn), Combat Reflexes
Greater Flame Elemental Feats: Ability Focus (burn), Combat Reflexes, Power Attack

freyar

Feat suggestions seem ok, and so do the skills.

Odd about tendrils: what kind of damage do they do? Tendriculos have them (among SRD monsters), but they aren't listed in the natural attacks section of the SRD. I'd assume bludgeoning, but this is an odd omission.

Remove ads