Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, I've generally assumed the same, but tentacles can sometimes do slashing, according to the SRD.

Do these just need description, flavor, and tactics now?

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

I assume tendril => tentacle => slam. Or, in other words, all different ways of stating "bludgeoning attack".

We know, we know, you don't have to keep clubbing us over the head with it! :p

I think the tendril should get 1.5 times Strength, or 1d4+1/1d5+3/1d10+6 for Least/Lesser/Greater.

Shade

Monster Junkie
A few misc. bits remain...

A least flame sprit is 1 foot in diameter and weighs x pounds. A lesser flame sprit is 6 feet in diameter and weighs x pounds. A greater flame sprit is 10 feet in diameter and weighs x pounds.

For comparison...

Fire Elemental Size/ Height / Weight
Small / 4 ft. / 1 lb.
Medium / 8 ft. / 2 lb.
Large / 16 ft. / 4 lb.

Flame spirits speak their own language. When summoned to an area of the Prime Material Plane, they also speak languages common to that area. Their voices sound like hissing steam.

Flame spirits speak Ignan and (Common?). Their voices sound like hissing steam.

Like their cousins, fire elementals, flame spirits are native to the Elemental Plane of Fire. Flame spirits appear on the Prime Material Plane only if they have been summoned by magical means.

Flame spirits only can be conjured in areas of open flame. To provide a greater flame spirit with a suitable shell, a fire must be built that has a diameter of at least 5 feet. Once the flame spirit occupies this shell, it swells to its full size, 10 feet in diamter.

Can be summoned via summon spells for a fire elemental of the same size, but require an appropriately-sized fire as an additional material component?

Maybe give wu jen with fire mastery an additional flame spirit with each summoning, or some other benefit?

Flame spirits cannot pass over water or any other noncombustible liquids.

Borrow from the vampire weakness?

Vampires are also unable to cross running water, although they can be carried over it while resting in their coffins or aboard a ship.

Something like...

Cannot Cross Water (Ex): A flame spirit cannot pass over any body of liquid larger than itself, unless the liquid is combustible. Thus, a flame spirit could cross alcohol or oil, but not acid or milk.

Do we need to specify ice as well?

Cleon

Legend
A few misc. bits remain...

A least flame sprit is 1 foot in diameter and weighs x pounds. A lesser flame sprit is 6 feet in diameter and weighs x pounds. A greater flame sprit is 10 feet in diameter and weighs x pounds.

For comparison...

Fire Elemental Size/ Height / Weight
Small / 4 ft. / 1 lb.
Medium / 8 ft. / 2 lb.
Large / 16 ft. / 4 lb.

Can we make them 2 ft. / 5 ft. / 10 ft. so they better fit the 3E sizes?

I'd make them a bit heavier than Fire Elementals. Since we gave them Strengths closer to a Water Elemental, we could shift the weight that way too.

Something like 6 lb / 24 lb / 100 lb.

Flame spirits speak Ignan and (Common?). Their voices sound like hissing steam.

add "mixed with crackling flames" and I'm sold.

Can be summoned via summon spells for a fire elemental of the same size, but require an appropriately-sized fire as an additional material component?

Maybe give wu jen with fire mastery an additional flame spirit with each summoning, or some other benefit?

I'd leave out the wu jen bit, but the rest of it suits me.

Cannot Cross Water (Ex): A flame spirit cannot pass over any body of liquid larger than itself, unless the liquid is combustible. Thus, a flame spirit could cross alcohol or oil, but not acid or milk.

Do we need to specify ice as well?

Should we have it take damage per round of contact with water or ice?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
They can be denser than the fire elementals, but they're also smaller at a given size, and weight scales as the cube of the linear size. Maybe a sphere of given diameter is bigger than a humanoid of given height, but still. So I'd make them 1/3 lb, 1.5 lb, and 3 lb.

I liked the wu jen bit.

Add ice, but I don't think it should take damage. It just can't cross. I also like the idea that crossing flammable liquids causes them to combust.

Remove ads