• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Cleon

Legend
Looks good. Let's get back to ability scores so we can get a Homebrew going.

It looks like average Str and Con, high Dex, Int is in the 9 to 11 range.

How about:

Str 10, Dex 18, Con 10, Int 11, Wis 13, Cha 15?

The Dex seems a little high. The original has the equivalent of AC14 in 3E terms. Assuming it's Small, it gets +1 from its size and +3 from elsewhere, so I'm thinking Dex 16-17.

Shade

Monster Junkie
The Dex seems a little high. The original has the equivalent of AC14 in 3E terms. Assuming it's Small, it gets +1 from its size and +3 from elsewhere, so I'm thinking Dex 16-17.

Dex 17 is fine (same as a nymph). I was thinking since it was smaller than a dryad (Dex 19) and nymph, it outta be more agile, but 17 isn't shabby.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

Give it DR 5/magic like most fey?

Should Weapon Finesse be a bonus feat, allowing a second feat?

Give it scent like a fox?

Give it the fox's racial bonuses (+2 Listen and Spot, +4 Hide, +8 Move Silently)?

Shade

Monster Junkie
The more I consider this, the more I like Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat so we can give it Multiattack as well.

Cleon

Legend
Added to Homebrews.

Give it DR 5/magic like most fey?

I'm not that attached to that idea, since (A) their main defense seems to be turning misty and (B) the original creature doesn't have any special weapon resistance.

Still, I don't find it objectionable, although we could soften it a bit. Maybe DR 5/magic or cold iron?

Should Weapon Finesse be a bonus feat, allowing a second feat?

Bonus.

Give it scent like a fox?

I like scent for them. Since they'll be spending a lot of time in "a world of vapours" it seems fitting they have a keen sense for atmospheric molecules.

Give it the fox's racial bonuses (+2 Listen and Spot, +4 Hide, +8 Move Silently)?

Definitely!

Come to think of it; aren't they soundless in mist form, like an insubstantial creature?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm not that attached to that idea, since (A) their main defense seems to be turning misty and (B) the original creature doesn't have any special weapon resistance.

Still, I don't find it objectionable, although we could soften it a bit. Maybe DR 5/magic or cold iron?

Gaseous form provides 10/magic, so I could see 5/magic or cold iron in nongaseous form.

Multiattack for the standard feat, then?

I like scent for them. Since they'll be spending a lot of time in "a world of vapours" it seems fitting they have a keen sense for atmospheric molecules.

Great!

Definitely!

Come to think of it; aren't they soundless in mist form, like an insubstantial creature?

Surprisingly, gaseous form does not make a creature soundless. We can add that to the mist form, though.

Cleon

Legend
Gaseous form provides 10/magic, so I could see 5/magic or cold iron in nongaseous form.

Fine by me.

Multiattack for the standard feat, then?

I thought we were only giving them 2 attacks like the original beastie (I suggested a bite plus a single "claws" attack). If so, it'll be ineligible for a regular Multiattack, so I was going to make that another Bonus feat and give them something else for their standard feat.

Surprisingly, gaseous form does not make a creature soundless. We can add that to the mist form, though.

Agreed.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads