Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Hm. Four monsters in one. First thought--the caldron should have the ability to grapple multiple opponents without penalty.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Actually, 5 types with the scalos one at the end. Rather than a single "monster" with 4 entries, I think we should do this more as a set of distinct but related conversions, like the sheens and supernatural familiars.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Agreed to different monsters in a "set". I just wanted to list them all upfront as 1) the text was heavily integrated anyway, and 2) to determine the power level hierarchy.

These remind me a bit of homunculi.

It looks like they will all have identical mental stats (Int is given as 9), but physical scores and natural armor will vary.

Shall we start with the hypnos and work our way up?

freyar

Sounds good to me! 2HD, Medium, then. Anyone know what the * on the hypnos HD is from the first article?

GrayLinnorm

Explorer
Each asterisk on monster HD in D&D represents a special ability. Monsters got bonus XP (already included in the XP values given) for each asterisk.

freyar

Thanks! Learn something new every day... But it doesn't seem too important for this.

freyar

Sure thing!

The charm could go a couple ways depending on which version we use. The older text could be anything from charm to dominate, and the 1994 version looks like charm (long term or permanent?) with suggestion (almost like the bardic music effect). So what do we want to do?

freyar

Makes sense to me. Maybe just plain charm monster with the day/CL duration with suggestion riders? Unique Su or SLA combo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads